So.. how bad is it if I don't get honors in medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesterfreamon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, got honors in surgery, not OBGYN, and probably not medicine.

Had a tough draw with attendings and according to midpoint feedback, I was not able to overcome it.

Have a good step 1 and preclinical scores (Junior AOA), have gotten good comments in my deans letter from all rotations so far, will only have decent research.

Is something like this a dealbreaker?

Members don't see this ad.

Nah. You're fine. My school gave clinical grades. I got an A- in medicine...think I had a B in Neuro. I wasn't AOA. Managed 20 interview offers. Don't stress.

I got a D one marking period in 6th grade health/science, but SOMEHOW I still made it into Derm.

I really wouldn't sweat too much.

I think derm (like any specialty) looks at trends in grades as well as "overall packages" rather than cut-offs. Meds, Peds and Surg are probably the most important rotations to do well on. It also probably depends on what kind of school you go to (i.e. do 50% of people get Honors on rotations...or do only 10%?). I think the Dean's Letter comments are honestly useless though- most schools filter what goes on there so pretty much everyone ends up looking like an all-star.