So how did you write your Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viciouz

WesternU 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to write my personal statement now... but I've been thinking about it for the past month or two.

But the problem is, now that I begin to write, I find myself (a) getting writers block, (b) going off on tangents, (c) not being able to put my thoughts down in a concise manner, or (d) using freaking "I" almost 2x every sentence.

Anyone else have these problems?

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote almost an entire personal statement and then ended up trashing it because it was so generic. I started a new one based on some experiences I had, and then fleshed it out from there. I personally think it was fairly good, though nothing spectacular.

I'd recommend having a definite goal in mind when writing. What do you really want the admissions committees to know about you? What experiences have you had that make you certain you want to be a doctor.

Brainstorm some potential topics to discuss, and figure out a way that they fit together intelligibly.

I wrote almost an entire personal statement and then ended up trashing it because it was so generic. I started a new one based on some experiences I had, and then fleshed it out from there. I personally think it was fairly good, though nothing spectacular.

I'd recommend having a definite goal in mind when writing. What do you really want the admissions committees to know about you? What experiences have you had that make you certain you want to be a doctor.

Brainstorm some potential topics to discuss, and figure out a way that they fit together intelligibly.

I did that before hand when I brainstormed...

I wanted to show admissions counselors how I became interested in the field of medicine (more specifically the death of my uncle due to cancer) to how I know I want to be an oncologist. I want to be an oncologist because of my experiences with volunteering on Oncology at Hoag Hospital and the research I do with Cancer Cell types.

Members don't see this ad :)
the general rule of writing is that the first draft of anything is crap. just put all your ideas down--don't worry about eloquence, vocabulary, grammar, content. Hopefully amidst this verbal diarrhea you will find a compelling angle that you want to take on your later drafts.

I am trying to write my personal statement now... but I've been thinking about it for the past month or two.

But the problem is, now that I begin to write, I find myself (a) getting writers block, (b) going off on tangents, (c) not being able to put my thoughts down in a concise manner, or (d) using freaking "I" almost 2x every sentence.

Anyone else have these problems?

You just have to keep at it. Let others help you -- friends, advisors, English professors, online proofreaders, whatever. Buy a writing guide and/or search around online for examples to help with form and the high points adcoms are looking for (empathy, professionalism, time-management, motivation, etc.). Toughest thing is looking at that blank piece of paper, but the more you work with it the easier it becomes.

If you're like most applicants, the structure is this:

1. Description of very visual, engaging situation (usually present tense)
2. Back track to work in life story and how it logically leads to medicine
3. Tie in (sometimes dubious) to #1 to wrap the narrative with a bow.
4. Two line conclusion

Example:

1. "No $hit, there I was..."
2. "But my medicine didn't start there. Oh no. When I was 8 years old..."
3. "... and that internship inspired me to get on a plane and go to ____." (which is, no $hit, where you were)
4. "And that's why I'll be a great doctor."

Ritalin, Prozac and spellcheck. 'Nuf said.

See the thread at the top of the page for more advice on personal statements.

Wow... can't believe i totally missed that... anyways...just finished reading it... it had some really good pointers in there...

In fact, I'll keep the first post open with all the advice while I write my first draft.

no joke, i saw my entire personal statement in a dream - i then immediately woke up at like 3 am and started frantically typing, pretty much mechanically. i knocked out the entire thing in about 45 minutes, and didn't have to revise it that much. sadly, i have to write a whole new one this time around, and haven't had any mid-night revelations.

i tend to write in a very detached manner (think: scientific journal-type). not a very exciting style. i asked a couple of people during editing and one great tip i got was to wear your heart on a sleeve. you want to be able to convey your feelings through your writing. close your eyes in a dark room and remember those "aha" moments that made you want to be a doctor.

gluck!:luck:

My very first draft was terrible. I just sat at the computer and wrote what came to mind. Why did I want to go into medicine? How did I decide on medicine after studying applied physics and biology? What affected my decision? What set me apart? How could I tie it all in? I ended up throwing the entire thing out but used bits of information from it. I took the thoughts that I wanted to expound upon and really thought about them. I focused my entire personal statement on the chorus of a Capoeira song called "Na vida se cai" and related it to my life and my decision to go into medicine.

I guess my piece of advice would be to write about something that will make your interviewers go, "wow, that's interesting, tell me more about it." I haven't been to an interview where I haven't had to explain what Capoeira is.

I also had a ton of help from some one on SDN!