So how do you prove yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heyeon

Heyeon
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I was going through MDApps and some other threads and wondering HOW on earth can someone rescue a not so good GPA?
For eg: If one has a 3.6 with a 43 on MCAT and decent clinical and EC experiences...would he/she have to pimp up their GPA further to get a decent shot at a Top tier med school??

I know that this whole what are the chances thing is a shot in the dark process but its just scary to see how ridiculously competitive the process has become.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a 43 on your MCAT, you can cartwheel into your interview and still probably be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at MDApps, you should know that there are plenty of people at the top 5 schools with a 3.6.

Maybe not in philosophy or communications though.

Edit: There are also a lot of people with >38 >3.8 and did not get into top tier schools.

If you look at MDApps, you should know that there are plenty of people at the top 5 schools with a 3.6.

Maybe not in philosophy or communications though.

Edit: There are also a lot of people with >38 >3.8 and did not get into top tier schools.

Yup!! And also if one has had a bad fresh and soph yr, its hard to get the GPA up and so hopefully for tht person, a stellar MCAT and ECs should do the trick?

Depends.

Is bad <2.5?

MDapps is inflated too...There is a tendency for people with good stats to create profiles. Any number of polls of the types of people that regularly visit SDN will show that there is a much higher number of 34+ and 3.6+ people on this website than actually apply to medical school.

Ok so I was going through MDApps and some other threads and wondering HOW on earth can someone rescue a not so good GPA?
For eg: If one has a 3.6 with a 43 on MCAT and decent clinical and EC experiences...would he/she have to pimp up their GPA further to get a decent shot at a Top tier med school??

I know that this whole what are the chances thing is a shot in the dark process but its just scary to see how ridiculously competitive the process has become.

Aim for 36+ to be competitive at the top 10-15 schools with a 3.6 GPA. Aim for 33+ to be competitive at the next tier of 20 schools.

MDapps is inflated too...There is a tendency for people with good stats to create profiles. Any number of polls of the types of people that regularly visit SDN will show that there is a much higher number of 34+ and 3.6+ people on this website than actually apply to medical school.

Totally hope thts true!! :p

This is not necessarily true. See my groundbreaking analysis in this thread.

Excerpt:

...there can be a very significant upward skew in GPA for some schools (0.11 for GW) although there could also be a slight downward [GPA] skew and the GPA for all acceptees [reported on mdapps] is lower [than figures reported by AMCAS]...The MCAT seems to be universally skewed upwards....