So how late is late? DAT question as well..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Selso2109

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that your application gets sent out to the dental schools once your transcripts are verified, but at what point do the schools actually consider your application?

I will be submitting my application in May, but I'll be taking the DAT in mid-august. Do schools give your application any consideration before the DAT scores arrive? I could take that DAT mid-July if it would make that much of a difference in when my app is considered complete.

I assume schools never offer interviews without DAT scores, but perhaps they have a list of applicants they are going to give interviews once their DAT scores arrive, based on their other stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Submitting your application in May is a smart idea, because it will take AADSAS a while to actually send your application to the schools. Your DAT scores, on the other hand, can be sent directly to schools once you have taken the test, so August wouldn't be to late.

I know that your application gets sent out to the dental schools once your transcripts are verified, but at what point do the schools actually consider your application?

I will be submitting my application in May, but I'll be taking the DAT in mid-august. Do schools give your application any consideration before the DAT scores arrive? I could take that DAT mid-July if it would make that much of a difference in when my app is considered complete.

I assume schools never offer interviews without DAT scores, but perhaps they have a list of applicants they are going to give interviews once their DAT scores arrive, based on their other stats?

It takes aadsas 4-8 weeks to forward your application to your schools. That means you should take the DAT around 6th week after submitting because DAT scores take about 1-2 weeks to get to schools. If you do it this way, your DAT and AADSAS will get to the schools at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)

No. Your application will not be considered until it is complete.

IMO, one of the worst things you can do is take the DAT in mid August. Take it before July or wait til next year. :thumbup:

i took mine late august. i think it didn't help me with Pacific and Tufts to take it so late. it didn't make much of a difference when it came to UCSF, UConn or Columbia.

in the end if you have good stats you should be fine.

My experience is that school will not consider your application complete until everything is in, including your DAT Scores. It would be in your best interest to take the DAT as early as possible without sacraficing a decent score. Also, if you don't do as well as you wanted you will have time to re take the exam.

I would NOT take my DAT in August. July should be THE LATEST. If you apply at the end of May, schools will be getting your application around July 20th so it would be good to have your DAT scores coming in at that time.
Remember that you have to wait 90 days to retake your DAT so if you take it in August you wont be able to retake until Nov.
If you score low the first time, some schools will reject you before you get a chance to retake it. Sooo my advice is take it in July or earlier.

it honestly depends on how strong your app is if you ask me. the stronger it is, the more you can wait, just don't wait too long. i think august would be fine. i took the dat really late, in october, and although i got into all my top choices, it would've saved a lot of headaches to have just taken it during the summer.

so if you can take it before august then go for it. if you don't feel prepared enough, then take your time, but don't push it past august.

Contrary to the dominant opinion of SDN, dental school admission is NOT a first come, first served process. Ceteris paribus, applying early WILL only help, but nowhere near the extent you'd think from reading here. Take the DAT as soon as you are ready, but no sooner. If your application is complete in mid-August, you'll still be ahead of average, according to the ADEA.

As you point out, AADSAS will send your application once transcripts are verified. It's up to the schools what to do at that point. Some schools will hold your application until the scores arrive, some won't. Hard to say which schools do which (and even that probably varies from year to year, depending on who is on the admissions committee)

March 1st :laugh: