So how low does your score have to be....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering from anyone with past experience, how low does your score have to be for you to just forget about medical school? How low is it not even worth retaking again? And by how many points do most people go up a second time?

Members don't see this ad.

There are so many factors it is impossible to anser. How were you scoring on practice tests? Did you feel like you had prepared enough before the test? Were you extra nervous/sick/have other extenuating circumstances?

All I can advise is: don't take the test again until you feel confident and are scoring well on practice tests. Teo low scores in a row makes it all the harder to psych yourself up to do well the third time.

beanbean said:
There are so many factors it is impossible to anser. How were you scoring on practice tests? Did you feel like you had prepared enough before the test? Were you extra nervous/sick/have other extenuating circumstances?

All I can advise is: don't take the test again until you feel confident and are scoring well on practice tests. Teo low scores in a row makes it all the harder to psych yourself up to do well the third time.

Beanbean is totally on the money here......there is no score cut off..... People tend to think a 30 what you need to be competitive......more likely its around a 27 to get interviews if you apply broadly. But the mcat is not as big a piece of your application as you might think it is, I know plenty of people with rather low mcat scores who only got interviews at top programs.....its all rather random, if you think you can do better take it again. There are plenty of doctors out there who tanked the mcat :)