So how many of you used grade replacement? And on how many courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many grades did you replace?

• 5+

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 14 14.3%
  • 1-2

Votes: 25 25.5%

Votes: 35 35.7%

• Total voters

dbizzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For some of us, it's nice to have. For others, it's a lifesaver.

So how many of you actually make use of AACOMAS's nifty grade replacement policy, and how many courses did you replace?

Feel free to share with us the difference between your AMCAS and AACOMAS calculated grades. Replacing a few D's or F's can make a pretty big difference.

Members don't see this ad.

For some of us, it's nice to have. For others, it's a lifesaver.

So how many of you actually make use of AACOMAS's nifty grade replacement policy, and how many courses did you replace?

Feel free to share with us the difference between your AMCAS and AACOMAS calculated grades. Replacing a few D's or F's can make a pretty big difference.

I'm not applying this cycle, but I have an old transcript that needs to be replaced with my current grades so it definitely a lifesaver for me. :)

I know exactly what you mean. Are you applying DO only or MD as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
the grade replacement is a lifesaver for me and a ray of hope.. i will be retaking about 5 more classes tht i got a c or lower in. its a long hall, but it will be fun.

I am a non-trad applicant. I retook all my basic science courses, because it has been 10 years since I originally took them. My original science GPA was 3.0. Not it went up to 3.91, because I earned A's in all the classes I retook.

My overall GPA didn't move up much, because I have over 240 college credit hours.

Having to take a course over again that you probably didn't enjoy the first time around - I'm glad I didn't have to.

Those of you using the grade replacement, I give you all credit. :thumbup:

Actually you guys deserve the credit for doing things right the first time!

I didn't replace anything. There's really only one so not hot grade out of all my classes. Didn't think it was worth re-taking. I got accepted anyway so guess I was right :D

I have a question though, where on the aacomas application does it tell you your science and non-science GPA? I can't seem to locate it :(

I didn't replace anything. There's really only one so not hot grade out of all my classes. Didn't think it was worth re-taking. I got accepted anyway so guess I was right :D

I have a question though, where on the aacomas application does it tell you your science and non-science GPA? I can't seem to locate it :(

Click on one of the PDF's sent out to the med schools. It should have all the gpa calculations in there. ;)

Click on one of the PDF's sent out to the med schools. It should have all the gpa calculations in there. ;)

That worked! Thanks MightyMoose (lol, sounds like i'm talking to a superhero :p). Anyway, I wish my overall GPA looked like that for AAMC, a 3.8 cummulative and a 3.7 sci? I feel like i'm cheating. lol

That worked! Thanks MightyMoose (lol, sounds like i'm talking to a superhero :p). Anyway, I wish my overall GPA looked like that for AAMC, a 3.8 cummulative and a 3.7 sci? I feel like i'm cheating. lol

Haha. Don't sweat it, that's why I wear a cape. ;)

Damn! Nice GPA! My science is actually lower on AACOMAS, because it doesn't count math... Other than that they are exactly the same... I knew I should have retaken a couple classes! :smack:

Haha. Don't sweat it, that's why I wear a cape. ;)

Damn! Nice GPA! My science is actually lower on AACOMAS, because it doesn't count math... Other than that they are exactly the same... I knew I should have retaken a couple classes! :smack:

Thanks :) And I'm sure you're fine! For overall AACOMAS includes my grad GPA and I worked my butt off to do well so I think that's why it's a bit higher compared to AAMC where they have separate undergrad and grad sections and don't put them together, though I wish they did.

Put me in the "lifesaver" category, also put me in the 12+ category. Here's to lifes hard learned lessons of take 5 minutes to fill out the damn "Drop class sheet" if you aren't planning on ever finishing UG, or else it'll come back to bite you in the ass 12 years later.

Difference in GPAs

AMCAS
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 3.35

AACOMAS
cGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.92

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's to lifes hard learned lessons of take 5 minutes to fill out the damn "Drop class sheet" if you aren't planning on ever finishing UG, or else it'll come back to bite you in the ass 12 years later.

AMEN to the drop class sheet. I wish I had dropped a few classes as an UG but stupid me didn't drop a single one. Playing catchup is a bitch, but it will pay off for us one day. Those are huge grade differences btw, even more than mine, congrats.

AMEN to the drop class sheet. I wish I had dropped a few classes as an UG but stupid me didn't drop a single one. Playing catchup is a bitch, but it will pay off for us one day. Those are huge grade differences btw, even more than mine, congrats.

I have one transcript I had WAAYYYY back in the day and I'm hoping that I had sense enough to drop the class, but if not I shall be retaking that also.

I envy most of you guys, I am not allowed to retake courses at my school unless I fail them. However, I was able to retake BIOL II because I took it at a college the first time. I was also fortunate enough to be allowed to retake OChem II because one school offered it distance ed

I envy most of you guys, I am not allowed to retake courses at my school unless I fail them. However, I was able to retake BIOL II because I took it at a college the first time. I was also fortunate enough to be allowed to retake OChem II because one school offered it distance ed

YAY!! Will that approve your GPA by much??

I envy most of you guys, I am not allowed to retake courses at my school unless I fail them.

I believe that's how it's like with most universities. If you need to retake them, take the course at a different school after you're all done, like at a state school that won't make you go broke. Just make sure the courses are equal, same amount of units, etc.

AMCAS: 3.08 cGPA, 3.50 sGPA

AACOMAS: 3.1 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA

I took a couple science classes a long time ago and got Cs. Retook and ended up with As. Only retook 1 non-sci class. Grade replacement made a significant difference for me, if only in 1 category.

Punkmedgirl:

Ya the BIO II alone increased my gpa by 0.1, and I calculated if I get an A in OChem II it will have increased by 0.2:) not too shabby!

dbizzy:

Oh I didnt know this (Im canadian), I was told you can retake any course at any US school (which I did figure was a broad assumption but thought w.e). But yaa the broke thing sucks........the price of education is US Vs Canada is a TEN fold difference. A full year of school for me costs like $3500 (which is like $3480 US) and its what... like $30000 for you guys. I cant even imagine paying that much:0

Retaking pre-reqs in US would definitely not come cheap

indeed it would not come cheap, but once ur done re-taking the classes u did bad in and do well.... there's no looking back. in the end its worth it!

Punkmedgirl:

Ya the BIO II alone increased my gpa by 0.1, and I calculated if I get an A in OChem II it will have increased by 0.2:) not too shabby!

dbizzy:

Oh I didnt know this (Im canadian), I was told you can retake any course at any US school (which I did figure was a broad assumption but thought w.e). But yaa the broke thing sucks........the price of education is US Vs Canada is a TEN fold difference. A full year of school for me costs like $3500 (which is like $3480 US) and its what... like $30000 for you guys. I cant even imagine paying that much:0

Retaking pre-reqs in US would definitely not come cheap

Hey all!

just wanted to share.

graduated last quarter from UCSD, but have some unfinished business
retaking a biochemical techniques lab I got a C- in... (TA >_<, and me of course) through extension if I can get in..

I also got a C in genetics, retaking

Other than that, I aced Ochem and others first time around...

I'm so stoked about taking them again.. should be FUN.