So how much do residencies care about your course grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isotopes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just finished my first class of medical school, and while our grades are technically pass/fail, I believe the percentage for each class is noted on the transcripts.

I know the Step 1 scores are priority for residencies, but my question is about course percentages. I have heard mixed reviews on how much emphasis to put on course grades? Some students say just focus on passing while others stress about it. Obviously, I am not trying to barely squeak by with a pass... I am trying to learn it/do my best no matter what, but I am just curious to how residencies view this. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I just finished my first class of medical school, and while our grades are technically pass/fail, I believe the percentage for each class is noted on the transcripts.

I know the Step 1 scores are priority for residencies, but my question is about course percentages. I have heard mixed reviews on how much emphasis to put on course grades? Some students say just focus on passing while others stress about it. Obviously, I am not trying to barely squeak by with a pass... I am trying to learn it/do my best no matter what, but I am just curious to how residencies view this. Thanks! :)

Grades don't matter, ranks might. Some people say some PDs don't care about DO ranks, some do.
Either way; Step 1 > LORs > Research >>>>> Level 1 > anything else.

Reactions: 2 users
From experience at my own residency program (IM), grades don't as matter much, unless you have multiple C's or fails. Mostly, we look at board scores (most importantly some improvement between step/level 1 and 2), whether you have done an elective/away rotation here, how you did if so and LOR's when we decide on interview invites. Those carry a lot more weight, unless there is something egregious. You may be asked about a poor grade on the interview trail, so be ready to answer that question...