So how much does it ALL cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenv1082

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm wondering: after filling out the AMCAS, secondaries, and going to interviews etc, how much did it all cost in the end for the average application process??

Members don't see this ad.

haha, silly me, and I thought spending money for getting into med school was over!

So far I spent $6500 on the application process, but now I'm headed to summer school b4 med school to take yet another prereq, so now my grand total is $8K :eek: Lovely.

:pity:

Members don't see this ad :)
You're headed to summer school Foxy? So you found somewhere to take the biochem and are still headed to UF?

It depends on how well you do. Here's what I would roughly break down the cost to be:

Primary app:
Mailing in transcripts:15$
Sending primary's to schools about 40$ per school

For me, I applied to about 35 schools primary.

~1300$

Secondary Apps:
About 75$ per secondary.
About 8$ per schools to send LOR's

I finished about 29 secondaries.

~2400$

Sunk Costs for interviews:

New suit/outfit: ~500$
extra shirt: ~50

~550$

Interviews themself

Hotel: ~50$ each night
Transportation ~50$
So for 11 interviews, that's about 1100$.

Away interviews:
Plane flights: about 200$ each (some of them were bunched together)

For 10 interviews, 2000$.

So my rough expenses: 7300$

Originally posted by the boy wonder
You're headed to summer school Foxy? So you found somewhere to take the biochem and are still headed to UF?

yes and yes :D no deferrment for me! :clap:

I applied to way too many schools (31 total), and went to 17 interviews (again, way too many)

Grand total = approx $10,000

can you say Mastercard Platinum? :eek:

How is it that all of you are spending $400-800 on suits?

I bought mine for $80 at benetton. What the hell kinds of suits are these?

I think my total was about $5000. I applied to 11 schools and went to 7 interviews.

I think I spent about $300. I only applied to 3 schools and only sent one secondary. I drove to my one and only interview.

Oh yea, I picked up one of my old suits and since it wasn't funky, I decided that will do.