So, how much freedom does one give up becoming a doctor? What are you allowed to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read that to become licensed you must undergo extensive background checks. This does not apply to me, but I am curious about what, if any, effect it has on the process.

-Say a potential doctor has a history of depression and is on medication/receiving treatment, could they not be allowed to practice medicine or even lose their license if they decide to seek help post-licensing? I heard doctors commit suicide a lot and that there is a stigma against mental health, so it made me wonder if they weren't allowed to get help.

-Say a doctor has strong political beliefs and is arrested at a peaceful protest by mistake because others were being disruptive, could they lose their license or not be allowed to obtain a license because they wish to be politically active?

What if the doctor, before/after obtaining a license, the doctor owns a small business or is some sort of an artist, like an author, and let's say the book series is horror or scifi or something strange, could that be used to say they should not practice medicine or should lose their license because his or her art might be described as "odd".

In summary, in the process of becoming a doctor, or in the years after becoming a doctor, does being treated for mental illness, having political interests, or participating in artistic pursuits risk the loss of a license?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
-Okay, the first one does not apply to me directly at all but I dislike what I hear about the statistics of doctors and suicide. I might want to be a psychiatrist someday and I want to work hard to dissolve any stigma against doctors using mental healthcare services.

-The second never applied to me either but if it someday would, I would want to be able to protest peacefully.

-The third does apply to me. I'm a writer as a hobby and I rather not use a pseudonym. I just wanted to make sure that my artistic pursuits/hobbies would never get in the way of a career I am passionate about.

Doctors can practice medicine even if they are or have been treated for depression or other mental health issues.

Doctors can practice medicine even if they have been jailed for political protest.

Doctors can publish horror and sci fi. Here's an essay about the early work of Richard Selzer, a surgeon and writer who started in the horror genre.
http://www.academia.edu/342710/Beauty_and_Pain_Notes_on_the_Art_of_Richard_Selzer

Reactions: 1 user