So hypothetically if all med schools go MCAT optional, which applicant is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med16484

Reaction score
In this hypothetical situation, let's say you have two students with identical extracurriculars, essays are the same quality, and both have cGPA and sGPA of 3.9 (upper tier). But one student got a 514 MCAT (pretty good, but may not be as competitive compared to his or her 3.9 GPA for upper-tier schools) while the other applicant did not take the MCAT. Which student would be a stronger applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

In this hypothetical situation, let's say you have two students with identical extracurriculars, essays are the same quality, and both have cGPA and sGPA of 3.9 (upper tier). But one student got a 514 MCAT (pretty good, but may not be as competitive compared to his or her 3.9 GPA for upper-tier schools) while the other applicant did not take the MCAT. Which student would be a stronger applicant?
Is there actual talk of this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there actual talk of this?
Stanford already went MCAT optional, and a few of my friends said they received emails about their MCAT's possibly being canceled. NOT saying its going to happen, but just curious

The person with a 514. A 514 suggests you can handle the rigors of a medical education, no score is a big unknown.

Reactions: 1 user
Stanford already went MCAT optional, and a few of my friends said they received emails about their MCAT's possibly being canceled. NOT saying its going to happen, but just curious
I absolutely hate the mcat but it at least provides people with a way to make up for poor past academic performances.

The known is far better than the unknown. This really is a no-brainer.

I absolutely hate the mcat but it at least provides people with a way to make up for poor past academic performances.
No, it doesn't. A high MCAT plus a poor GPA merely highlights the discrepancy. Now, if a candidate has a high MCAT plus a high GPA in a poct-bac or SMP, that's a different story.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure Standford is truly optional even though their admissions page says it is optional. Here is the full statement
Snap1.png

Edit: This is from a joint statement from all CA medical schools

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Stanford has updated this

FAQ related to COVID-19

MCAT

Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic several Spring MCAT test dates have been canceled, will Stanford Medicine make any changes to the application requirements?
With the exception of MCAT requirements, all application requirements remain the same.
With regard to the MCAT, applications may be submitted without an MCAT score taken during the COVID-19 pandemic, March 14-September 30, 2020. For applications without any prior reported MCAT scores, MCAT is optional for the 2021 admissions cycle.
MCAT scores for the examination period, January 2017 – September 30, 2020, will be reported if available from AAMC. See the AMCAS 2021 cycle update for more information.
Will the MCAT deadline be extended as a result of the reduced exam date availability?
The period for acceptable scores has been extended: January 2017 – September 30, 2020. However, taking an MCAT examination during the COVID-19 pandemic, March 14 - September 30, 2020 is optional. Applications may be submitted without an MCAT score unless reported by AAMC.
How will my application be evaluated without inclusion of an MCAT score?
Stanford Medicine Admissions applies a holistic review of the applications.
Before I see a great burst of magic thinking, "holistic" doesn't mean "we'll accept any piece of trash application we see"

Before I see a great burst of magic thinking, "holistic" doesn't mean "we'll accept any piece of trash application we see"
But how could stats be part of the whole picture!!!!!!

• Haha