so i did my first block of USMLE WORLD today!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2cr8tive

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i did my first block of USMLE WORLD questions today. i have six weeks to go. i did timed random questions and im not lying but i marked 46 out of 48 questions. i completely freaked out. gush it was so so hard compared to the NBME i took the other day. so i pressed the end button hoping i would get at least 10-20 percent right and to my surprise i got a 60%

i can tell u that i guessed MOST of the questions and if this is wut board is all about good luck to me. lol ok back to reviewing the answers

Members don't see this ad.

if step 1 were like uworld, there'd be a new disease for epidemiologists to ponder over: post-prometric alopecia (PPA), because people'd be rippin' their hair out left and right. i did a couple 200 question blocks of uworld (to try and simulate NBME) and it was like getting hit by a truck. made of porcupines and scimitars.

if step 1 were like uworld, there'd be a new disease for epidemiologists to ponder over: post-prometric alopecia (PPA), because people'd be rippin' their hair out left and right. i did a couple 200 question blocks of uworld (to try and simulate NBME) and it was like getting hit by a truck. made of porcupines and scimitars.

PPA love it

LOL

so this time i decided not to mark any questions for my confidence sake --so i'll only mark questions during the review so i can come back to them later

but hey, my scores increased to 77 and 68 both random unused (well it's my second day with this q bank)...so im a bit happier ....

Members don't see this ad :)
not trying to be the odd one out,

but be prepared for a difficult exam. all of my friends who took the exam recently have said that the exam is comparable to uw in difficulty. Just don't underestimate the guns of this exam, because if you do you could be in trouble. Just make sure you're ready for anything come test day. and plus, a tough exam would be scaled accordingly too so, in the end it'll all even out.

but be prepared for a difficult exam. all of my friends who took the exam recently have said that the exam is comparable to uw in difficulty.

Yes. USMLE World is a bit overwhelming in the beginning, but it is great for getting you used to what 60% (or less) correct feels like when most of us are more used to 80-90% on exams. There will be blocks that feel like that on the real thing! UW also represents the most challenging questions on the exam. On the real thing there will be some easier ones thrown in, but you should expect a decent proportion (maybe 40-50%) of UW difficulty questions. Don't talk yourself into thinking the exam will be too much easier. ;)

UW is excellent preparation - think of it like training for a marathon by running 50 miles every day. After that, 26 miles is going to seem like a piece of cake. (forget about the fact that you'd have rhabdomyolysis and all that...you know what I'm getting at :D)

:luck:

the questions are killing me ... one day i get 77% (20% above the avg for that test), the next day i get 45% (10% below the avg) ... just ruins the whole day for me ... really feels like the more i read the less i know ...

I really recommend using USMLE World for learning purposes only, rather than trying to judge your progress by it. I definitely had fluctuations like you're describing - don't let it get you down. If you want to know where you stand, take an NBME (or a couple).

true but disturbing ... u know wut's the funny thing...so this morning when i got the 45% i was so upset i went out the room and told my mom...her response was "so wut will happen to all the money we paid for u?" lol that definately didnt help the pressure ;-)