so I didn't honor my AI...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lela

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't honor my AI at my first choice program (1st choice geography, in long-distance relationship now). I was evaluated primarily by residents and have heard that whether or not the residents like you will make or break an acceptance. Is this a death blow?

I think in general I'm just not assertive enough in the the inpt setting and came off as pretty aloof. My evals were "good" = average.

In general, I'm a pretty average applicant, honoring only the FP clerkship in 3rd year. My dean says I'm in the middle to middle-upper half of the class. Boards score is really good though but I hear no one cares about Step 1 so much.

Not sure why I'm writing all of this. Part of me is looking for hope and part of me is needing someone to say that I should shift my focus elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

And?

Don't worry about it. Ok, so you may not be their number 1 rank. No big deal. In admissions, you've got: Ranked to Match, Middle Tier, "Better than an Empty Slot", Rank Low, and Strike.

People who do "good" or "average" will usually be in Middle Tier. Worse case, maybe you're "Better than an Empty Slot"?... unless, the class fills before they get to your number. Of course, I could be wrong... but there's nothing you can do now. Maybe you could reiterate your interest during second look?

The real question is did you learn anything from this experience? Why were you aloof and average? Why were you not assertive? Because all this will pass, but if there's something about you that's you're not cool with, use this opportunity to really figure out what all this about and make yourself better for next time.