So I farted during my first interview... yup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liverfingers

holla back girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Friday was my first OOS interview, everything was going well. Interviews were scheduled before lunch, so I had a quick bite to eat (bagel w/ cream cheese and orange juice) at the hotel, and off I went.

Well, I felt something bubbling in my stomach as I took a seat in his office. I'd just finished answering one of his questions, and he was busy writing down my response on his notebook, and... before I could leak it out to the side... I farted... audibly in the room that was silent save for the air conditioning. I was kind of startled, I didn't know how to react, I wanted to say "excuse me" but 0.0000001% of me thought maybe he didn't hear, and of course I held on to that hope. Well, he didn't look up, but his pen stopped, and then it continued. And then he looked up and furrowed his brow as he asked me another question as though straining not to smile.

Awful.:( Not sure if I wanted to share this with you all, but if you can avoid it, don't fart.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, that's pretty terrible. Word to the wise: take the biggest, nastiest crap you can muster immediately before going on your interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no!! From a bagel?? I would have turned bright red.

In any case, I doubt he will be like "oh this applicant is unqualified for our school because he's too gassy". :laugh: So I wouldn't dwell on it (if you were)

Wow, that's pretty terrible. Word to the wise: take the biggest, nastiest crap you can muster immediately before going on your interview day.

Yeah in all seriousness get your fiber on the night before

Oh no!! From a bagel?? I would have turned bright red.

In any case, I doubt he will be like "oh this applicant is unqualified for our school because he's too gassy". :laugh: So I wouldn't dwell on it (if you were)

No, but if he's anything like the doctors I've shadowed, many a laugh were had at my expense afterward :(

I don't actually "LOL" when at the computer but I just did. I'm sorry this happened OP. I am lactose intolerant and know how you feel FAR too often haha :( nothing I can do when I forget my lactase pill and already ordered a cheeseburger...that cheese is gonna come out somehow/sometime haha.

Hopefully he's a fellow farter and remembers you in a good sense :)

No, but if he's anything like the doctors I've shadowed, many a laugh were had at my expense afterward :(

Awwe don't feel down bro (sis?)...It's not like the doctor can say he's never farted before. I am sure he has been in a situation where one slipped out.

should've tried playing it off like the interviewer was the one that farted

"Pardon me sir have you any grey poupon"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2CiYoIRXYQ[/YOUTUBE]

Get it?

should've tried playing it off like the interviewer was the one that farted

*fart*
"it was YOU"

I'm seriously rofl after reading that...like someone else said, I dont usually lol while sitting at the computer, but thats just too funny

Members don't see this ad :)
So Friday was my first OOS interview, everything was going well. Interviews were scheduled before lunch, so I had a quick bite to eat (bagel w/ cream cheese and orange juice) at the hotel, and off I went.

Well, I felt something bubbling in my stomach as I took a seat in his office. I'd just finished answering one of his questions, and he was busy writing down my response on his notebook, and... before I could leak it out to the side... I farted... audibly in the room that was silent save for the air conditioning. I was kind of startled, I didn't know how to react, I wanted to say "excuse me" but 0.0000001% of me thought maybe he didn't hear, and of course I held on to that hope. Well, he didn't look up, but his pen stopped, and then it continued. And then he looked up and furrowed his brow as he asked me another question as though straining not to smile.

Awful.:( Not sure if I wanted to share this with you all, but if you can avoid it, don't fart.

Now that was TOOO funny. If it were me I would have fell out laughing after I farted :laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

good job hehe :)

you should of said "you smell that ****? pretty good, eh!"

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Although it was funny, I think you'll do fine as long as you answered the questions confidently and whole-heartedly. Who knows, maybe he'll remember you because of the incident. Yes there will be jokes here and there and even in med school, but it could get you in. Getting in is all that matters. Good luck buddy! PS, I also had bagel and orange juice, but I fortunately I wasn't gassy on my interview. :)

*fart*
"it was YOU"

bahahah.. that just created the funniest mental imagery...

Don't worry OP, seriously.. everyone's had these moments of absolute embarrassment. I once farted on a first date with this guy that was so totally hot. I was mortified. All I could think to say was "I guess our relationship just moved to the next level".

I once farted on a first date with this guy that was so totally hot. I was mortified. All I could think to say was "I guess our relationship just moved to the next level".

:thumbup::thumbup:

I'll have to remember that one. Usually on first dates I end up choking on my water - you know, the kind of choking where you gasp and sputter and your eyes water? Really attractive.

All I could think to say was "I guess our relationship just moved to the next level".
I would've married you on the spot. That's the best save ever.
Usually on first dates I end up choking on my water - you know, the kind of choking where you gasp and sputter and your eyes water? Really attractive.
For some reason, I have a problem with taking a drink and then getting hit in the face with a deluge of ice that used to be packed at the bottom of the glass. That's always a real winner. I'm such a suave guy. :laugh:

bahahah.. that just created the funniest mental imagery...

Don't worry OP, seriously.. everyone's had these moments of absolute embarrassment. I once farted on a first date with this guy that was so totally hot. I was mortified. All I could think to say was "I guess our relationship just moved to the next level".

I think that's an appropriate line. I mean, you're not in a serious relationship unless you feel comfortable farting in front of your significant other.

As Mao Zedong once said: "If you want to fart. Then go ahead, you'll feel the better for it." (verbally denouncing Krushnev for covering up Stalin's war crimes in 1956)

Last edited:
This will be the first thread I post on in these boards.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I lauged really hard at this though...

I'm surprised you didn't try anything stupid. Like try to cover it up with a delayed cough. Now that would've been hilarious.

Or if immediately after the fart you were like:
"excuse me?"
And he was like:
"what?"
And you were like
"oh I thought you said something"
That would've surely thrown him off.

lol I never thought someone actually done that. :D

OMG I am laughing so hard reading this...OP, I'm sorry it happened, but I'm so glad you shared.... Seriously ROFLMAO

If it happens to me I'm just going to laugh and say "excuse me"

DAYUMMMMMM
Leak it out to the side? Sexy jesus, who does that? It's called keeping it in. LOL LOL LOL.

DAYUMMMMMM
Leak it out to the side? Sexy jesus, who does that? It's called keeping it in. LOL LOL LOL.

Yea, no way I'd try to sneak it out during an interview. I'd squeeze my ass cheeks together so hard to hold it in, it'd probably come out as a burp

atleast it makes you stand out from the other interviewees.:laugh:

I would've married you on the spot. That's the best save ever.

hahah, thanks. Too bad my date didn't share the same opinion. He didnt even crack a smile. Oh well, no sense of humor = big turnoff. :laugh:

hahahahaha this is too funny. sorry you had to go through this OP, I feel for you man... but it probably won't affect your interviewer's decision.

hahahahahaha lol.

hahah, thanks. Too bad my date didn't share the same opinion. He didnt even crack a smile. Oh well, no sense of humor = big turnoff. :laugh:

That's a great "weeding out" tool then! Better to cull the weak ones early... :rolleyes:

ROFL HAHA :laugh:
It would be funny if you still got accepted.

Haha what if this had come just as he asked "So is there anything you'd like to say?"

:eek: That sucks! I'm SO sorry! I am sure it will be fine though! I hope so. Keep us posted on the acceptance, eh?

New thought - :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: You should have said "I'm sorry, I've been under a lot of pressure getting ready for these interviews..."
I actually loled too

I think that's an appropriate line. I mean, you're not in a serious relationship unless you feel comfortable farting in front of your significant other.

As Mao Zedong once said: "If you want to fart. Then go ahead, you'll feel the better for it." (verbally denouncing Krushnev for covering up Stalin's war crimes in 1956)

what are you smoking? Mao wanted to be the successor to Stalin and got his ass kicked when he invaded Russia.

Oh my lord.... I am sitting here reading this thread in my school library and I'm trying so hard to stifle my laughter... I look like I'm strokin' out in my chair here. I feel like an idiot.

ah, this thread is so funny. first time real lol! OP, maybe you'll get a pity/sympathy vote from him, so try to think of it as a boost to your interview. ;)

Beano and Phazyme with an Immodium chaser. Wash down with iced vodka! Takes care of all or your needs in one shot!

I actually sharted a little during one of my interviews:scared:

the interviewer just stared at me for about 4 seconds...meanwhile my eyes keep batting back and forth between a nearby window and his face. it was awkward to say the least...while leaving he gave me pat on the back, which made shart a little more.

Last edited:
but seriously--i'm sorry that happened to you. i really don't think it was a big a deal as you think it was. the interviewer probably forgot about it.

ok, BUUUUUT it could have been worse !!! have you ever seen van wilder ? when the premed boyfriend of tara reid has his supposed northwestern interview? if not, watch it and i promise you will feel multitudes better.

Yea, no way I'd try to sneak it out during an interview. I'd squeeze my ass cheeks together so hard to hold it in, it'd probably come out as a burp

LOL ahhh this thread is such an excellent break from my analytical chem lab write-up. Laughing so hard I'm crying....oh man. OP, I'm sure the interviewer is aware that it's a normal function of the human body and that you weren't doing it on purpose. And it won't keep you from being accepted at the school. Keep us posted on the outcome though.