So I got 2.9 for Ba and 3.6 for Ma, can I apply to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YGuo

Reaction score
I got only 2.9 GPA during undergrad, and I know it is a really bad GPA for applying medical school. But I just graduated from a graduate program with a 3.6 GPA. Is it possible for me to apply to medical school with this GPA? Since I already graduated, is there any way I could improve my undergrad GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to medical school with any GPA you want, but doing so with a 2.9 undergrad GPA would be incredibly foolish. Very few schools will care about your MA GPA, all schools will care about your undergrad one. You need a post-bacc to bring that up. Read this: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 users
I got only 2.9 GPA during undergrad, and I know it is a really bad GPA for applying medical school. But I just graduated from a graduate program with a 3.6 GPA. Is it possible for me to apply to medical school with this GPA? Since I already graduated, is there any way I could improve my undergrad GPA?
Is your masters in a hard-science discipline? DO medical schools incorporate grad GPA into their application GPA. MD med schools do not, and primarily judge one by their undergrad work. Have you figured out what your sGPA would be right now (DO schools don't include math in the calculation, like MD schools do)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply to medical school with any GPA you want, but doing so with a 2.9 undergrad GPA would be incredibly foolish. Very few schools will care about your MA GPA, all schools will care about your undergrad one. You need a post-bacc to bring that up. Read this: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
But OP already graduated from a Master's program, I don't think he or she can still do a post bacc at this point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

But OP already graduated from a Master's program, I don't think he or she can still do a post bacc at this point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Incorrect, any undergraduate classes taken after your bachelors degree are considered 'post bacc' courses. It doesn't matter if you've gotten a graduate degree afterwards.

Incorrect, any undergraduate classes taken after your bachelors degree are considered 'post bacc' courses. It doesn't matter if you've gotten a graduate degree afterwards.
I agree with seaturtle98. Just as you can start uGPA repair by doing postbac work during a masters program, if you take undergrad classes that don't apply to the masters degree requirements, you can also do it after the masters degree has been earned.

Last edited: