Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

So I got an F in General Chem Lab....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by milliya, May 9, 2008.

1. milliya

milliya Soon To Be Saving Babies
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am a freshman (cumulative GPA 3.47)

First Semester- I got As in Bio, GenChem1, and the labs but I got a C in precalc. I came out with a 3.44

Second Semester-I got As in Bio and the GenChem2 lecture but an F inthe lab and a C in some crappy freshman orientation class. I came out with a 3.5.

The F this semester is due to my having had insomnia this whole semester. I got an official excuse addressed to all my professors from the school and I think I will include that with my med school app when the time comes. Good or bad idea?

So since I did really good in Chem 1st semester and really good in the lecture class 2nd semester, do you think adcoms will care?

And after all it is ONLY freshman yr....

Do you guys think I'm off to a bad start?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Bad start yes...but still salvageable.

4. departed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How did insomnia effect your lab grade? Did you sleep in the day and completely miss the class?

I think you answered your own uncertainties...

5. PainKiller69

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ==========

#4 PainKiller69, May 9, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  6. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Hey, Milliya, you're not off to such a bad start. Luckily, labs count for very few credits. You will have to retake that, and you WILL do well the next time around because you have both the ability and determination. (I remember you from when you first started posting. ;))

You won't be including that excuse with your application. By the time you get to that point, you won't even want to.

You have probably already done this, but if you haven't, get that insomnia issue addressed and behind you. Freshman year is a big year of adjustment. It's not unusual for such things to crop up.

A 3.55 isn't bad, at all, especially for the first year. Figure out why you got that "C" in orientation. If it was because you didn't apply the best of yourself to a class because you just weren't interested, learn from that, because there will be other classes that can be downright boring. You don't to wind up getting your lowest grades in the easiest classes.

7. Cegar

7+ Year Member

You made a mistake.

Retake the lab in the summer. Get an A. You'll never have to address it unless it is mentioned. Do not try and excuse the grade - people will not respect that sort of thing.

It's not that big of a deal though. The overall impact of a 1 credit class is... bupkiss.

8. milliya

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was aceing the lab at first. At midterm I had an A. Then I missed about 4 labs on account of me completely crashing during the day. I asked him to make in an incomplete and I would make up those 4 labs but he said I waited too late to notify the faculty about my problem and the grade had already been submitted and it was very hard to change a grade once its been submitted (basically BS)

btw the only reason why I made an A in the lecture class was because he altered the weight of the final just for me. He told the class that the final would replace our test, quiz, and takehome test averages (those were the only components of our grade; no homework). I already had like a 10% average in all those categories, so needless to say I studied my hind-quarters off for that final.

9. milliya

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!!

10. Cegar

7+ Year Member

I did the same thing in Gen Chem 1. That was really stupid and I haven't done it again since.

I still cringe about that though. Oh god. If my final wouldn't have replaced my regular grade...

11. departed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's not "BS," if you went to ask him for an incomplete after you missed 4 labs that's your own fault.

12. milliya

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    haha thats how I feel looking back...and the final was only a little over a week ago..........never again

13. Cegar

7+ Year Member

Be grateful you learned it early and didn't take a huge hit from it.

You can still finish college with a >3.8 GPA.

14. bozz

2+ Year Member

Jeez, I don't understand how people come out of getting an F unscathed.

Freshman year, first semester, I got 1 A, 3 Bs, and 1 C = 3.05 GPA
    Maybe it's because here it's: 89% = 3.0 and 79% = 2.0 ?

15. TheDundies

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    med schools are more forgiving of bad grades early on in college as long as you show an upward trend. so kick butt in all your classes from now on and you will be fine! personally i did pretty poorly freshman yr, and it has definitely hurt me (i didn't do enough to improve my grades later on in college and so my overall GPA was pretty low)- but i am still going to med school. so, don't let freshman yr mistakes dissuade you from going after your dreams! :luck: