so i got fired today...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Joe Joe on da Radio, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Joe Joe on da Radio

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    b/c of co-worker sabotage!

my boss informed me that one of my co-workers said i did something that i didn't do at all (we've never gotten along). he said it was basically his word against mine. since he had greater seniority, i got let go. things didn't end on the best of terms between my boss and i.

my passion for the job died out a long time ago, so i'm not too upset over losing this job, but my concern is this...

i listed this job as one of my AMCAS post-secondary activities, with my boss as a contact!

do you guys/gals think or know for sure that schools will actually contact the people we listed?

should i write the schools i'm being considered post-interview at a letter explaining what happened? if so, will it raise a red flag that i'm writing a letter about being fired from a job? if they do contact my boss, i'm afraid of what he'll say...shoud i jump the gun?

please give me some advice about what to do!

--joejoe

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hi i am really sorry u got fired

could u perharps talk to ur ex-boss and ask if he will give u a good review?

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

i highly doubt anyone will call your boss, and i definitely think it would raise a red flag if you explained the situation in a letter. in my opinion, it's best to just let it go and find another job. in your interviews you can just say you were unfulfilled or something so decided to find another job.

i should add i have no experience with whether or not schools actually do/don't call the contacts on your list. it just seems to me that it would take WAY too much time to do so especially since they already have to go through a bunch of LORs.

5. lll505

lll505 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know, as I am not on an adcom, but I would think at this time of year they are too busy to check that out, and it might be better to just leave it alone and hope they don't check. I'd also contact your boss and ask him/her bluntly what he/she would say if contacted.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your job-- it's their loss though, I'm sure you are on to bigger and better things.

6. HamOnWholeWheat

HamOnWholeWheat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Man, that really sucks. Here's what you gotta do though. Talk to your boss and tell him your concern. You might be surprised in that he may offer a good recommendation.

Once you do that though, you wait a couple days and have a buddy call the boss, posing to be some medical school you didn't apply to (that way the boss doesn't get called from the same 'medical school' twice) and ask the boss his opinion of you. If he badmouths you, then you know you have to do some letter-writing.

I had a buddy in a similar situation, and I posed as a perspective employer for him. Turns out, his old boss told him he'd give a good recommendation, then badmouthed him.

Just an idea. Good Luck. Ham On, brother.

7. Joe Joe on da Radio

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    it was just a moonlighting type of job...doing some clinical HIV research on the weekends. nothing too significant, but i'm concerned that my boss ACTUALLY believes that i did it (a serious offense). does this change anything about your inputs?

8. HamOnWholeWheat

10+ Year Member

Yeah, it may be time to get that gun you've always wanted.

Ham On

9. Exene

Exene Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh my god, this would take some balls. I bet all of my stupid friends are too goody-goody to try this. Good idea though, HamOnWholeWheat (all right).

10. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey
    7+ Year Member

Do not tell anyone else you got fired. I got fired in 1996 after 2 weeks of working in a doctor's office. It turned out to be a good experience. Forget him. Noone will ever find out. If you don't tell anyone. Trust me.

;)

11. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Fortunately, what works in the business world should work here as well. When former employers are called for references, unless the employee was an axe murder, they usually get a good recommendation.

This is because people have been known to turn around and sue a former employer because they didn't get a job because of a bad reference. No one likes to be sued, so they mostly say only the positive things they can think up.

Now to the larger question of being fired.

Does the place you were employed at have a humarn resources department? If so, then you should talk to them. If another employee has you fired with no proof, it can become a very big deal.

If you want to pursue this, I'd suggest contacting a lawyer. Being terminated over hearsay should be a gut-twisting lawsuit for the boss and the employee who got you fired.

- Tae

12. Iron Horse

Iron Horse The luckiest man
    7+ Year Member

Don't tell, don't ask (a twist on military logic). If you don't mention it, no one will ask about it or find out.

If they take legal action against you or if you committed a crime that would change things. Otherwise let it go.

13. imperator

imperator Member
    7+ Year Member

What did he accuse you of, busting a nut in an Erlenmeyer flask?

14. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm so sorry Joe Joe :( . I would also think that AMCAS wouldn't check, so I'd just let it go and not mention it. But I agree with the others who say you should take this up with HR.

15. woolie

woolie Intermountain West
    7+ Year Member

Here's my $0.02 worth, as well. Do you feel that speaking honestly with your former boss would be a positive thing? In other words, did you feel that he/she would be honest in return? Or is your sense that he/she might not be too decent and would side with your (crummy) co-worker?

You probably have a good sense of what was really going on there and whether your boss might come through for you after all. Like other people, I would let it go and not say anything to the Med-people. But, if there's any slight feeling that your boss would come through and be alright about it, then I might approach him and (with alot of sincere humility stuff) tell him your concerns. Apologies are good, too, even if you didn't really do anything. "Sucking it up" is a valuable professional tool and alot of bosses like to feel they are right even when they do stupid stuff. This might even be the most important skill for working life - or so it seems, sometimes. If he's a **** too, then let it all go. Another important life experience ... ;)

16. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    about a year ago I found myself in a hellish work environment. The lab PI had total trust over a very senior lab tech, who did NOT like me at all. Nothing I ever did was good enough for her, and many thing I did she thought were simply wrong. Rather than telling me about this, she became very passive aggressive and told the PI bad things about me. Furthermore, I was stuck working with her on a mindless project since two other grants weren't funding, leaving me nothing else to work on. So the project I was told was just a warm-up exercise became my only project. Anyway, The PI trusted this lab tech, and finally fired me. He knew there was a personality conflict, but he felt he had no choice. My official reason for termination was "lack of funding."

The PI knew I was pre-med, and still offered to write me a LOR. I didn't take him up on it. Within a week I found 6 labs that seemed to be doing interesting stuff: three didn't have any positions, and the other three all offered my positions after calling my former PI for reference. So whatever he said couldln't have been anything but good.

So sometimes the guy who fires you will still give you a good reference later on.

17. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    another moral to my story: sometimes getting fired is the best thing to happen. Joe Joe mentioned that his passion for the job ended a long time ago. In my old job the passion ended months before getting fired, so leaving the job was necessary. And my new job is absolutely great! I'm respected, in control of my experiments, on good terms with everybody, and I've been invited to do a PhD in the lab if I want. So Joe Joe, I'm sure you can go out there and get a better job.

18. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi jojo on da radio :)

Sorry you got fired. I don't have any advice for you, cause I just don't know. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I'm sorry to hear about that!

19. Joe Joe on da Radio

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thanks for all the advice everyone! i really appreciate it.

Hi 9! nice to see you drop in here every now and then. =)

- joe joe

20. HamOnWholeWheat

10+ Year Member

Do you mean "other doctors"? :D