LittleRocker

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I've been practicing EK 101 verbal and for some reason, ever since I took the first test, I got it in my head that "Alright I've got 85 minutes - an hour and 15 minutes" and it stuck through 6 tests. I couldn't figure out why I felt really rushed the entire time. I could barely finish if I was lucky. Suddenly I realized... "damn! I should have an extra 10 minutes". For the 7th test I had plenty of time and was evenly paced. I even did my best thus far.

Normally I'm not a space cadet like that, but I thought this was pretty funny. In the long run it probably even helped me!

Edit: Ugg pretend I spelled Epiphany correctly. Boy this test sure is taking its toll

msw27

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
profile.myspace.com
Status
Pre-Medical
Haha I did that too. But only on the first one:laugh:

tncekm

MS-1
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
"Technically" if you go by the number of passages in the new format you've got 7 passages and 60 minutes, or 8:34 per passage. Using the old format with 9 passages and 85 minutes, you've got 9:26 per passage.

I know you get about 5 extra second per question in the old format, but really the time consuming part is the passages. So, IMHO I think that the EK format of 9 passages in 85 minutes is too easy and gives you about 10 minutes too much. IMHO to be getting an equivalent time scale for the new format you should be completing all 9 passages in 77 minutes.

OLD: 85/9 passages = 9:26/passage
NEW: 60/7 passages = 8:34/passage

EK w/ new timing = 9 passages x 8:34/passage = 77:08 (Round down to 75 to be safe).

Don't screw yourself with the EK test book that is setup for the old format!

OP
L

LittleRocker

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
"Technically" if you go by the number of passages in the new format you've got 7 passages and 60 minutes, or 8:34 per passage. Using the old format with 9 passages and 85 minutes, you've got 9:26 per passage.

I know you get about 5 extra second per question in the old format, but really the time consuming part is the passages. So, IMHO I think that the EK format of 9 passages in 85 minutes is too easy and gives you about 10 minutes too much. IMHO to be getting an equivalent time scale for the new format you should be completing all 9 passages in 77 minutes.

OLD: 85/9 passages = 9:26/passage
NEW: 60/7 passages = 8:34/passage

EK w/ new timing = 9 passages x 8:34/passage = 77:08 (Round down to 75 to be safe).

Don't screw yourself with the EK test book that is setup for the old format!
I never really thought about that before. For me, though, it's the questions that take up the most time. I never thought of reading the passages being my time limiting factor. And when you look at it per question, you actually get MORE time in the new format.

85 mins/ 60 qs = 1.42 mins/q

60 mins/40 qs = 1.5 mins/q

So all and all I'd say its about equal

Also:
Old: 60/9= 6.67 qs/ passage
New: 40/7= 5.7 qs/ passage

So... by that logic, if I cut 8 minutes off the 85 mins, then shouldnt I also take out 1 q per passage?

sicboy188

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Too much math for planning purposes!!

Just aim to get through each passage at about 6:30 to 7:30 per passage (for verbal). Keep working until you reach that goal and don't worry about the number of questions per passage.
yea i agree.. i break them down into single passages or passage pairs and aim to miss at the most 1 per passage.

tourniquet1963

10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
my problem is i miss an average of 2 per passage.. its really annoying!.. i keep getting 8s.. only once i got a 9.. <sigh>

evandavidson

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2007
Status
Too much math for planning purposes!!

Just aim to get through each passage at about 6:30 to 7:30 per passage (for verbal). Keep working until you reach that goal and don't worry about the number of questions per passage.
7:30 is the better time to shoot for. Actually, you should be just fine if you average 8 minutes per passage (and will finish a few minutes early). I honestly found that by reading at what I thought was a slow pace I still finished the passages with strong comprehension in about 2-3 minutes each.

You have 60 minutes to get through 7 passages and 40 questions on the real deal.