So I interviewed at Western on Monday 11/17...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meghoo22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Of couse I'm very happy, but with at least three more interviews coming up at SUNY, NECO, and SCCO, I'm a bit reluctant to accept just yet. Also, I am still applying to Berkeley. My GPA is 3.48 and OAT AA 370.

I originally applied to this school as a safety, but I don't want to invest $500 for a seat if I have a decent shot at a better school. They only give you two weeks to give an answer. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

hey congrats on getting accepted! I was there on the 17th as well!! Haven't gotten any response yet but I would be in the same boat as you with the deposit and still waiting for a bunch more interviews etc. They said they would delay it another two weeks or something, I'm not sure what I'm gonna end up doing if I get in.

I would ask for an extension, your stats are great though, I dont doubt you will be accepted to the other schools you applied too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your first acceptance! But, I agree... ask for an extension. Your stats are good enough that you don't need to be a guinea pig for a program in its fetal stages.

Congrats on your first acceptance! But, I agree... ask for an extension. Your stats are good enough that you don't need to be a guinea pig for a program in its fetal stages.

How much of a pulling factor would all you people decipher for a location of a school.... in other words Western Univ...30 miles from Los Angeles...versus PCO...few miles from Downtown Philly/Philly...assuming of course admission to both schools (and also considering western university's charter opt class)

I'm sure you know this yourself but your numbers are gonna get you in almost anywhere, including SCCO. I should probably know this by now, but enlighten me please, what happens if you accept a seat and decline it later as far refund on your deposit.

Well, I don't think there are any refunds, unless I misunderstood something, hence my problem. I guess I'm just trying to get a feel of what other people in my situation would do...although my stats are good, there's always an odd chance I wouldn't be accepted to another school. On the other hand...with 2 interviews coming up in about two weeks, is it worth it to pay $500 for a seat at a school I applied to as a last resort? Also, does anyone know how long it usually takes for neco or suny to get back to you after you interview there? Thanks again :)

Well, I don't think there are any refunds, unless I misunderstood something, hence my problem. I guess I'm just trying to get a feel of what other people in my situation would do...although my stats are good, there's always an odd chance I wouldn't be accepted to another school. On the other hand...with 2 interviews coming up in about two weeks, is it worth it to pay $500 for a seat at a school I applied to as a last resort? Also, does anyone know how long it usually takes for neco or suny to get back to you after you interview there? Thanks again :)

Assuming that Dr. Johnston is there, you will find out at the end of the day if you are accepted. If he isn't there, it takes about a week. I am not sure about NECO, but it seems like people were finding out pretty fast from there too.

Assuming that Dr. Johnston is there, you will find out at the end of the day if you are accepted. If he isn't there, it takes about a week. I am not sure about NECO, but it seems like people were finding out pretty fast from there too.

NECO fed-ex the letter, if you are accepted!
... I interview on the Friday 31st, got my letter on that Wednesday!!!!

meghoo22...I think they said you can get a refund until January...not sure if they said 1st or 31st but I remember them mentioning something. You should contact them about that if they pressure you for an answer and you haven't heard back form anywhere else. I will be in the same boat if I get in there because I have interview at SUNY, PCO, SCO and NOVA throughout Dec and Jan. Try to be cautious though, just in case. I think you should be fine at the other schools as well though :)

Each school has a different policy about refunding deposits. I don't think NECO gives anything back, while SUNY is 100% refundable until April (or May?) and SCCO will give you $500 out of $750 back. Just call and ask if it's not clearly stated. It's a perfectly reasonable question.

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate your feedback...and I will definitely look into their refund and extension policy. :)

So just got my acceptance letter so I am in the same boat as you now, will have to check out their extension policy etc as well! :)

Can anyone else confirm this?

Can anyone else confirm this?

I think the more accurate statement would be that you MAY find out your status at the end of the day, if he is there, but it may not be a definitive answer. But if he's NOT there, you'll have to wait longer.