So I just saw the movie 21...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...and they make out the main character like he is this poor hopeless guy (who goes to MIT) who got into Harvard Med with a 44 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA. He then spends the whole movie whining about how he can't go because he doesn't have the money to pay for the school and his poor mother doesn't have enough to give him with her waitress job.

Why doesn't he line up with the rest of us and take out a damn loan!

It made me mad whenever he would cry about it...

Members don't see this ad.

also, why apply when you know you can't/won't attend.

Do you think that I could win at black jack with an MCAT under 40?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is Harvard spelled with an H? Shouldn't it be spelled with an "A" like alpha since it started everything else intellectual in this country??

With a 44 MCAT and a 4.0 from MIT he wouldn't be paying a penny for med school. Sounds like a waste of a movie.

Maybe if he got a 45 on the MCAT he wouldn't have to pay...

I don't think the writers/producers/directors know what it is really like applying to med school. The movie's title is "21" right? :) I'll go check it out...

Here's a trailer I found on YouTube if anyone's interested...

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=PsK1c9ZBpuw[/YOUTUBE]

Why is Harvard spelled with an H? Shouldn't it be spelled with an "A" like alpha since it started everything else intellectual in this country??

Huh? :confused:

After posting I realized it must have been that he didn't have enough volunteer hours or the right LOR's :D

I agree that it was annoying to keep hearing him say "Harvard Med!" " but... Harvard Med!" "i gotta go to Harvard Med!"

but then again .. it's just a movie. I actually thought it was pretty good

It's just a movie, and it's based on a true story. But I don't think that the person in real life that the character was based off was really a pre-med. The history channel did a whole thing on the MIT Blackjack team, and it's pretty interesting. And med school drama aside, I thought it was a great movie!

It's just a movie, and it's based on a true story. But I don't think that the person in real life that the character was based off was really a pre-med. The history channel did a whole thing on the MIT Blackjack team, and it's pretty interesting. And med school drama aside, I thought it was a great movie!

It's supposed to be based on the book Bringing Down the House, which is based on a true story, which, if memory serves, has nothing to do w/ some schmuck not being able to go to Harvard b/c he doesn't have 300k, he's really just some guy who wouldn't mind making a few hundred k. If you liked the movie, read the book, it's a million times better. If you liked the book, do NOT go see the movie, you will be disappointed.

It was a good movie I am not gonna lie.

I find the real story much more interesting. Even the book took a bunch of liberties with the story, but it is a cool story.

The fact is that the general public has no clue about the admissions process, so they over exaggerate it. My dad can't watch ANY medical show except scrubs because he just gets too frustrated with it. Happens at every level!

No mention of this Harvard medical school scholarship drama in the book. Solid movie, but fantastic book. Anyone in here want to start a blackjack team?

It's supposed to be based on the book Bringing Down the House, which is based on a true story, which, if memory serves, has nothing to do w/ some schmuck not being able to go to Harvard b/c he doesn't have 300k, he's really just some guy who wouldn't mind making a few hundred k. If you liked the movie, read the book, it's a million times better. If you liked the book, do NOT go see the movie, you will be disappointed.

I think people need to stop comparing books and movies anyway. Sometimes I'm not sure whether the book is actually better, but the book established the characters first and has a lot more time to carry through with the plot. Scripts are notoriously short compared to books. If people based books off of movies more you'd probably hear 'Yea, but that wasn't as good as the movie". I highly doubt either is considered a masterpiece in this situation.

...and they make out the main character like he is this poor hopeless guy (who goes to MIT) who got into Harvard Med with a 44 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA. He then spends the whole movie whining about how he can't go because he doesn't have the money to pay for the school and his poor mother doesn't have enough to give him with her waitress job.

Why doesn't he line up with the rest of us and take out a damn loan!

It made me mad whenever he would cry about it...

HAHAHAHAHA that's exactly what I said!

Agreed - take a loan.

Agreed - movie blew, book was great.