So I need to do research apparently, but I have no idea what I want to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know, another research question. I checked the boards and couldn't find one that answered my question exactly.

I'm an MS1 and I really have NO idea what I want to specialize in. I really don't have much research experience at all, but I would like to get involved.

Should I just pick a random research project for this summer that interests me? Say... something cardio or pulmonary?

Then my question is... if I choose to go in to ortho or something, would this research have any positive effect?

Just trying to figure out what I need to do this summer, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I know, another research question. I checked the boards and couldn't find one that answered my question exactly.

I'm an MS1 and I really have NO idea what I want to specialize in. I really don't have much research experience at all, but I would like to get involved.

Should I just pick a random research project for this summer that interests me? Say... something cardio or pulmonary?

Then my question is... if I choose to go in to ortho or something, would this research have any positive effect?

Just trying to figure out what I need to do this summer, thanks.

Just pick something.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I need to do research apparently

Am only an M2, but my impression is that research isn't nearly as necessary as some of us make it out to be. Hopefully, some people who know from experience will drop by and clarify.

Am only an M2, but my impression is that research isn't nearly as necessary as some of us make it out to be. Hopefully, some people who know from experience will drop by and clarify.

It's important depending on specialty. It would be difficult to match into Radiation Oncology without research. As for Pediatrics, you could easily get by with none.

It can be hard to figure out what you're interested in as an MS1/MS2, but it would benefit you to do some soul searching now. Think about what is important to you. Lifestyle? Curing disease? Managing chronic conditions? Working with kids? Not working with kids? Surgery vs medicine? You can probably do some OR shadowing now to at least think about whether or not you like that. If you are truly stumped you can do research at random. It won't hurt you to have research in another area when you are applying. It will help you more to have research in your specialty though.

If you are having trouble figuring out what to do research in then I suggest working on a case report with a faculty member at your school. Approach an MD who teaches one of your courses (preferably a course that interests you) and ask if he has any case reports that you might be able to work with. Residents who teach small groups can also be a great source for this, since attendings may not have case reports for you to work on.

It can be hard to figure out what you're interested in as an MS1/MS2, but it would benefit you to do some soul searching now. Think about what is important to you. Lifestyle? Curing disease? Managing chronic conditions? Working with kids? Not working with kids? Surgery vs medicine? You can probably do some OR shadowing now to at least think about whether or not you like that. If you are truly stumped you can do research at random. It won't hurt you to have research in another area when you are applying. It will help you more to have research in your specialty though.

I understand what you're saying, and I have shadowed/worked for an assortment of different physicians. So I don't think any amount of soul searching at this point will lead me in any direction. I guess random research it is...

Eh, I'm an M2 about to take my boards, I haven't done any research in medical school (though I have done medical research before, specifically in Pathology, a field I'm definitely not interested in). I know people who've decided to pursue Ophthalmology at the end of their third year, gotten in a few research abstracts, and they're golden (of course they obviously have the Step 1 score to back it up and decent enough grades). My understanding is that they use your scores to screen you as an applicant and then the research is more important when the interview comes up and you need to talk to them about something.

Here's an excellent quote from Alice in Wonderland to help you out:

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Here's an excellent quote from Alice in Wonderland to help you out:

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Haha. I like that.

From personal experience, I'd stay away from the Department of Pathology. CMBD to be more precise... There are some very talented professors in the Micro/Immuno if you want basic science research.