So I really need some advice here :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member25800

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know these kinds of posts pop up here all the time but I would really like to get some opinions from you guys who understand exactly what I'm going through.

My test is this Wednesday so I have 3 more potential days of studying, however, I am debating not sitting for this test.

My stats have been all over the place, mostly ranging from a 28-30, with my ultimate goal score being a 35, but I would be happy with anything above a 30. I scored a 35 (12/11/12) on AAMC 10 and was very, very excited about it but then I took AAMC 11 a couple days ago and scored a 28 (10/7/11) which definitely gave me many doubts about taking the test right now.

I always felt like PS was my weakest area however I have been scoring decently well on it (10-12) and have a similar score range for BS but my VR is all over the place. I just scored a 7 on AAMC 11 VR which is the primary reason my score was as low as it was.

I have no problem postponing the test except for the fact that I will be studying abroad in Spain starting next week until December. I was considering studying while there and trying to sit for an exam in January, however if I dont take the test this week I dont really know what my plan will end up being.

Sorry for the rant - I just really need any advice you guys can offer! Its much appreciated. Best of luck with the studies! :)

For reference, these have been my past scores

Kaplan 1 = 27 (8/10/9)
AAMC 8 = 28 (10/9/9)
AAMC 9 = 29 (10/9/10)
AAMC 10 = 35 (12/11/12)
Kaplan 5 = 30 (11/10/9)
AAMC 11 = 28 (10/7/11)

*I do feel like my scores have been improving over time, especially in PS but maybe that means I still need more time to continue improving

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you will be fine. Don't stress. Unless you're in California hit at least a 30 and you're golden. You should be sleeping right now. Your scores look good enough for a thirty. If you have an above average gpa/science gpa you are in a good position. If you need to take it again, then do so. At this point what do you have to lose?
btw. Verbal is the one that usually gets people. Just make sure you are reading the 4th passage by the 30 minute mark, and you want to shoot for about ten minutes left for the last passage (remember, there are always 7).

In my opinion, if you don't feel ready to take it, don't take it. You only want to take it once and there's no rush to take it. About two weeks before I was scheduled to take it, I decided I didn't feel confident so I postponed for a year, studied some more, then ended up with a score I'm extremely happy with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey you guys,

Thanks so much for the replies. I think that right now the test on Wednesday could go either way. I think I just completely burnt myself out on studying and it was very apparent when I was sitting to take the FLs. I keep switching off between wanting to take it and not.

I do think some more time with the test format could do me some good. My plan was while abroad to take an hour of test simulated questions a day and thoroughly review them afterwards for 3 months. Just so that the MCAT becomes super familiar and I am more comfortable with it. Then when I return over winter break, I will take 3-4 FLs and then take the real thing. I have already done 3 months of content review and I think I will be able to keep it up by doing those practice problems. My main concern is that I have no idea what life will be like abroad and if I dont have time to keep up this routine, that will mean completely restudying for the MCAT next summer. I am just going into my junior year so that wouldn't be unreasonable, however I dont know if I can do this for a whole other summer.

I would count on not studying during your time abroad. It's like people saying they'll study on Christmas; it almost always doesn't happen. Additionally, there aren't enough questions to do that anyway.

In regards to your test on Wednesday, I would suggest you take the test and void it. It appears that you burnt yourself out which is probably why your verbal dipped. As a consequence, it's a little risky to take the test on Wednesday. Though if you took a couple days off, tested yourself, and ended up back within your normal verbal range, scoring your test on Wednesday wouldn't be unreasonable. Nevertheless, it's still a tad risky. Now the reason I why I suggest you take it and void it is because you already paid for it, so you might as well get your money's worth.

In regards to your test on Wednesday, I would suggest you take the test and void it. It appears that you burnt yourself out which is probably why your verbal dipped. As a consequence, it's a little risky to take the test on Wednesday. Though if you took a couple days off, tested yourself, and ended up back within your normal verbal range, scoring your test on Wednesday wouldn't be unreasonable. Nevertheless, it's still a tad risky. Now the reason I why I suggest you take it and void it is because you already paid for it, so you might as well get your money's worth.

I think I am definitely burnt out. I took a day and a half off and just did a timed verbal section this morning with 33 questions and only got 57% percent correct. Its like my mind is shutting out all things MCAT.

I would like to take the real thing and void it just to get a better feel for the actual test, but since I already postponed it once I had to switch my testing location, which is in Phoenix, AZ and I am in San Diego, CA. Maybe I will just try to keep up my studying as best I can while abroad and if I am still not scoring what I want on my full lengths, I will have to start the studying process over. :(

I also had my verbal confidence destroyed by 3 points drop in AAMC 11 and less than 50% right on the last 4 passages of VR SA (which have only moderate and hard questions)

Keep yourself away from VR until the test day. Just forget about the outlier.