So...I took everyone's advice....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bballluvr34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I applied to:
Rush
Colorado
Creighton
BostonU
Vermont
Mayo Clinic
Indiana
Nebraska

I have a 4.0, 37N mcat, lots of extracurricular. but i am really nervous about my letters of rec. do alot of schools accept the pre-med advisor letter instead of the committee letter?

Members don't see this ad.

What "advice" did you take? Are you a resident of CO, Nebraska, or Indiana? Hopefully at least one of them - if so, you wasted your money on the other two - and if you aren't a resident of any of these states, you wasted your money on all 3...makes for an odd, and very short, list, but as they say, it only takes one.

Do you have a pre-med committee? If not, it is pretty hard to get a committee letter...but if you do, med schools may question why you did not go through your committee...

i took their advice and applied, because i didn't know if i was too late (primary in the middle of october). i know applying early is better, but i was unable to due to personal issues.

i got an interview at nebraska so far, and yes i am a resident of one of those states (not nebraska)!

we don't have a committee, so i used my advisor along with several other science and non science letters, and just talked to a school in question and they said it was ok...phew!

Members don't see this ad :)
ugh...if you atleast have some clinical exposure you're a shoo in for any of those schools.....you should consider applying to non-rolling schools

Wow you got really ****ty advice.
I would have said apply to
Harvard
Yale
Hopkins
WashU
Case
Baylor
Dartmouth
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
USC
your state school (safety)
Creighton (safety)
Tulane (safety)

Forget your letters bro. Whatever you submit will make little difference given your numbers
as long as you do not have ****ty EC's you are golden

haha...thanks. i would have applied some more "reach" schools, but I ended up getting my application in pretty late, which worried me. i'm still considering applying to tulane...but i'm not sure if it is too late..

Since your school doesn't have a premed committee, you should be fine... You can double check each school's website for their LOR requirements, but I wouldn't worry too much at all. Like others have said, given your stats, I am pretty sure that most schools will not hold it against you.

haha...thanks. i would have applied some more "reach" schools, but I ended up getting my application in pretty late, which worried me. i'm still considering applying to tulane...but i'm not sure if it is too late..

Bro. You have a unique opportunity to attend a top 10 (**** top 5...**** that top 3 school)

bro you walk into an interview at the school of your choice, pull down your pants and **** on the table and they will accept you.

If I were you I would seriously consider applying to top 10 schools this year and if you don't get in (because your apps are too late) just applying next year and then attend that school...unless you are in a rush to be in med school for some reason.

I agree with the above post....you'd be settling if you went to any of those schools. I mean don't get me wrong those are great schools, but someone with your academic background should be applying to better schools. If its the time thats an issue and you don't get in, instead of attending those schools you have, I would HIGHLY recommend that you just wait a year and reapply early next year......ur a really bright kid

thank you for the really nice posts...something that is really important to me is staying near my family, which I why i applied to a lot of midwest schools. honestly, to me, going to an ivy league school isn't something that really appeals to me. what i most care about is the proximity to my family (i have a new baby niece) and the environment at the school. i know that ivy league schools offer an amazing medical education, but the people there are extremely competitive with each other. i'm sure they are great students that will make good doctors, but i've heard some pretty negative things as far as a sense of community. i know there is a competitive atmosphere to some extent in probably every medical..but still. i hope that makes sense.

i'm a girl...btw!!
and by late applications...i mean...VERY LATE. i just finished submitting secondaries last week. i am an idiot.

Like everyone has said you could probably get in just about anywhere really. Why did you apply so late? With those numbers and "lots of EC" I would have set my alarm to wake up early on opening day =P

there are two reasons, really. one was that i was out of the country with very spotty internet access for nearly the whole summer. i was so busy this summer that i had little time to put into my application, including my personal statement.
second reason: i was being pretty anal about my personal statement, and it took me a long time to do. i am a slllloooow writer!!

thank you for the really nice posts...something that is really important to me is staying near my family, which I why i applied to a lot of midwest schools. honestly, to me, going to an ivy league school isn't something that really appeals to me. what i most care about is the proximity to my family (i have a new baby niece) and the environment at the school. i know that ivy league schools offer an amazing medical education, but the people there are extremely competitive with each other. i'm sure they are great students that will make good doctors, but i've heard some pretty negative things as far as a sense of community. i know there is a competitive atmosphere to some extent in probably every medical..but still. i hope that makes sense.

i'm a girl...btw!!
and by late applications...i mean...VERY LATE. i just finished submitting secondaries last week. i am an idiot.

bro... I can respect that you want to stay close to your family but just think about everything that you would be throwing away. top 10 institutions do not only provide you with a great education and network which will serve you during your entire life...they also train the best physicians that make the most beneficial contributions to society ("super-docs" like Paul Farmer)

Please go to a top 10 at least (U of michigan, baylor and chicago, vandy are midwest and great)

Bro...if you do this you will not regret it

Ohh...sorry I did not mean to offend you by calling you bro.

I call everyone bro (I think I even called my mom "bro" once) its either bro or kiddo. and I usually reserve kiddo for people that are even dumber than I am.

not offended at all!

You have amazing stats, just don't set yourself up for heartache. Regardless of where you get bad news from it usually always stings. You probably won't get a lot of bad news, but usually everyone gets some.

You have amazing stats, just don't set yourself up for heartache. Regardless of where you get bad news from it usually always stings. You probably won't get a lot of bad news, but usually everyone gets some.
You're totally right. Rejections are a humbling experience, and there's no use getting disheartened. I'll definitely re-apply if I don't get in this cycle.