So I was arrested... for feeding the homeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know that he wouldn't have the opportunity to explain himself (at least in a PS). I just think saying that you intentionally committed civil disobedience isn't going to fly as well with adcoms as it is on this thread. Medicine isn't a field which loves it's members to do things outside of the rules. They want problem solvers who figure out how to get things done within the confines of strict rules. There's a difference.

Depends on how qualified he is, at least in getting past preliminary screening methods. I don't know how many schools screen for recent criminal records, but I'd imagine that it'd be both more relevant and more decisive as a part of a common sense, holistic filtering process for a medical school applicant pool. I can't imagine that many applicants are accepted (regardless of circumstance) without either a reasonable amount of time between the offense and the time of application, or if the offense was so minor it is for all intents and purposes a non-issue (traffic violations, usually).

I definitely agree, though—someone's going to look at that PS and be concerned for the compromised ability to do risk-benefit evaluation as a mature, cognizant individual. To be arrested for something so petty and insignificant (and to still have a right mind to complain about it, all things considered) just reeks of prepubescent scrotum.

Members don't see this ad.

At least one of the participants in this thread IS an adcom.
I would figure that, given the response here, the safest bet would be that this is somewhat of a grey area (at least far more so than other infractions) and that the response by adcoms and others will be varied.

I disagree. Many here consider this some sort of valiant activity that deserves to defy law in favor of some morality they consider to be more important. It doesn't really matter what the crime was, it's a crime. As a physician, if your mother called you up and asked you what her great uncle Louie's diagnosis was, you'd be violating HIPAA by telling her. If her great uncle Louie sued you as a result, you'd be steamrolled out of your position, period.

Even if your intentions were good, the law exists for a reason. Most of the time, to protect people. This is one of those times.

That others have varying opinions means nothing. There is one thing that remains constant: the letter of the law.

I disagree. Many here consider this some sort of valiant activity that deserves to defy law in favor of some morality they consider to be more important. It doesn't really matter what the crime was, it's a crime. As a physician, if your mother called you up and asked you what her great uncle Louie's diagnosis was, you'd be violating HIPAA by telling her. If her great uncle Louie sued you as a result, you'd be steamrolled out of your position, period.

Even if your intentions were good, the law exists for a reason. Most of the time, to protect people. This is one of those times.

That others have varying opinions means nothing.
There is one thing that remains constant: the letter of the law.

That the ADCOM's have varying opinions on how they would view this IS relevant to this topic. He is not asking about how his court case will go, he is asking how ADCOM's will view his conviction (if it should get to that). Other posters have posted about minor incidents involving marijuana possession in other posts and the implication from many of the ADCOM's is that they grew in a specific era and feel less strongly about the importance of the law when it comes to marijuana (which is currently shifting in many states anyways). ADCOM's have leeway to view crimes differently (unlike a courtroom) and I think in OP's case they probably would cut him a little slack. Not all, but some. Now if he was arrested again for same crime, I think they would view him more in the "do we really want this guy at our school?" category.

Members don't see this ad :)
this was on The View this morning..

Before ignorant individuals begin commenting on this issue let me fill you in. The reason this ban was established was because of the health hazards associated with passing out food to the homeless. Many groups like the one OP is in were giving out food that was expired or unsanitary and deemed unsafe to eat. Also, some of the homeless had food allergies which caused them to have severe allergic reactions. There are other reasons as well but the ones aforementioned are the true driving force as to why the laws were passed
Weren't you the one remarking about how your professors were in love with you or something?

I think the point is that you likely won't make it to interviews with a recent criminal record. You probably won't have the chance to explain yourself.

Given the chance, you're still put at a disadvantage. If I were an adcom, why would I choose the candidate with a criminal record over someone who doesn't have one with similar stats?
I'd take on a student that was arrested for civil disobedience if I were an adcom. The kind of person who's not only willing to get off their *** and protest something, but willing to put their freedom on the line for it is exactly what medicine needs. It's far better than the armchair philanthropist sheep that comprise much of the medical classes we currently have. We need people that are willing to fight for what they believe in and sacrifice for their ideals, not the kind of people that share something on Facebook so they can get a little warm fuzzy feeling while actually accomplishing nothing.

Reactions: 5 users
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. " [felt like this fit here]

I am not arguing against anything that was said in this post about being altruistic towards those in need, but you also have to understand it from the perspective of the government. You don't want to be ignorant and assume your perspective is the only correct way of thinking. I think some of the arguments against why food should not be passed out by any one are pretty sound (allergies, expiration, pranks). Being altruistic is important, but being rational is more important. I think finding different "legal" ways to help would have been the right action. There are many soup kitchens that have been approved to prepare food and serve the homeless.

Sometimes as a physician you will have to choose between siding with the law and breaking the law for a patient. In MY OPINION, you don't want to recognized as the type of person that would do anything for someone else even if it means breaking the law. I believe that you should have done something about this when you were warned (gone to court about this law, used the money in a different way) rather than trying to get a lawyer to protect yourself now after deciding to break the law.

Reactions: 1 user
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. " [felt like this fit here]

I am not arguing against anything that was said in this post about being altruistic towards those in need, but you also have to understand it from the perspective of the government. You don't want to be ignorant and assume your perspective is the only correct way of thinking. I think some of the arguments against why food should not be passed out by any one are pretty sound (allergies, expiration, pranks). Being altruistic is important, but being rational is more important. I think finding different "legal" ways to help would have been the right action. There are many soup kitchens that have been approved to prepare food and serve the homeless.

Sometimes as a physician you will have to choose between siding with the law and breaking the law for a patient. In MY OPINION, you don't want to recognized as the type of person that would do anything for someone else even if it means breaking the law. I believe that you should have done something about this when you were warned (gone to court about this law, used the money in a different way) rather than trying to get a lawyer to protect yourself now after deciding to break the law.
You can't just go to court about a law...it has to be applied first.

You can't just go to court about a law...it has to be applied first.
Oh I just threw out something that would be an alternative to breaking the law. Sorry I don;t know much about the judicial system.

Oh I just threw out something that would be an alternative to breaking the law. Sorry I don;t know much about the judicial system.
Me neither, so my understanding of the reasoning behind it is imperfect, but I was under the impression that you have to be tried for breaking the law and then you can appeal on the grounds that the application of the law is violating your rights. Before the law is applied, it hasn't violated your rights, so you can't challenge it.

were you with the guy on the news today in FL?

Members don't see this ad :)
Swallow magnets

Stab the homeless
3355965949a11663834019l.jpg

The best meme of 2009

I read that this Paul Farmer guy stole tons of supplies from his medical school/rotations/residency when he was going to Haiti in the very beginning.

I hear he's doing pretty well for himself.

One of my colleagues got into medical school despite having spent time in jail and having had a parole officer while in college. His crime: Freedom Rider. (He was not URM). http://www.history.com/topics/black-history/freedom-rides

Civil disobedience might get some accolades at some schools. For all that is said about medicine being a conservative field, some academic medicine folks are far more liberal than you might expect.

Reactions: 3 users
You kinda dropped the ball on this situation. If you have a patient who does not consent to a surgery you don't just knock them out and go under the knife. Thst was a pretty stupid move you made

You kinda dropped the ball on this situation. If you have a patient who does not consent to a surgery you don't just knock them out and go under the knife. Thst was a pretty stupid move you made
That's a terrible analogy. OP offered food that was freely accepted; he didn't shove it down their throats as they gagged and choked.

A better would be writing someone you know a script without a patient visit, or letting the homeless guy pack a few bandages and some Tylenol in his pockets to go after his ED visit. Neither of those is allowed, but they help the person at hand unless something unforeseen happens, and both situations come up in the real world.

(Plus the latter encourages the homeless to frequent your hospital, while most policies are geared to do the opposite, just like the law OP violated)

I've given the homeless coupons to places like fast foods place for free burgers and coffee. But I also try to inform them about the city's programs that could help them. They never seem that interested though so if I see repeat offenders I tend not to help them again. :shrug:

I mean, you can lead the homeless to shelters/programs that help them find employment, but you can't make them give up booze, as the age-old expression goes.

Having actually been homeless, I have to be honest that not many of the posts I have read in this thread are congruent with my first hand experience with both living on the streets and in shelters. Go to a homeless shelter sometime, if you live in the Dallas area I highly recommend the Samaritan Inn in Mckinney. You will see that there are people there from all walks of life. People who used to work at hedge funds, veterans, families, drug addicts, the mentally ill, those who ran away from home early on, people who grew up in foster care, and people who were working poor and got hit with unexpected circumstances like myself. I'm so glad that the people who helped me get on my feet did not resemble some of the people in this forum in terms of their attitudes towards me, why I was homeless, whether I deserved help, and what I was capable of. Some of you should be ashamed...

Reactions: 6 users

Civil disobedience might get some accolades at some schools. For all that is said about medicine being a conservative field, some academic medicine folks are far more liberal than you might expect.

Sure, but you aren't playing the odds. Doing something that looks good to one in ten schools and awful to the other nine is just a bad idea.

Having actually been homeless, I have to be honest that not many of the posts I have read in this thread are congruent with my first hand experience with both living on the streets and in shelters. Go to a homeless shelter sometime, if you live in the Dallas area I highly recommend the Samaritan Inn in Mckinney. You will see that there are people there from all walks of life. People who used to work at hedge funds, veterans, families, drug addicts, the mentally ill, those who ran away from home early on, people who grew up in foster care, and people who were working poor and got hit with unexpected circumstances like myself. I'm so glad that the people who helped me get on my feet did not resemble some of the people in this forum in terms of their attitudes towards me, why I was homeless, whether I deserved help, and what I was capable of. Some of you should be ashamed...

Um right. Tons of former hedge fund workers are living on the streets... Not. There's probably 1 in your entire city, if that. Compared to the massive number of mentally Ill and substance dependent who comprise the supermajority. Lots of people on here have spent a ton of time working with the "homeless" in various capacities in healthcare and they aren't the rich tapestry of people just down on their luck that you describe. I'm not sure who really should be ashamed here -- but I'm thinking it's the one trying to recast the homeless as former hedge fund managers wins the prize.

Sure, but you aren't playing the odds. Doing something that looks good to one in ten schools and awful to the other nine is just a bad idea.
That would be a wonderful, if the OP's intent in feeding them was to better his chances of getting into med school. However, he clearly had other motivations for what he did. At the end of the day, do you have to be happy with yourself AND get into med school, not just one or the other.

What evidence do you have that this is acceptable at only one out of 10 schools?
Furthermore, as pointed out, if the OP's doing this out of a sense of duty to others, and not to impress anyone, he's going to do it regardless of whether it might "hurt" his chances just as some applicants work for political causes because they believe strongly in the cause.

Reactions: 2 users
Um right. Tons of former hedge fund workers are living on the streets... Not. There's probably 1 in your entire city, if that. Compared to the massive number of mentally Ill and substance dependent who comprise the supermajority. Lots of people on here have spent a ton of time working with the "homeless" in various capacities in healthcare and they aren't the rich tapestry of people just down on their luck that you describe. I'm not sure who really should be ashamed here -- but I'm thinking it's the one trying to recast the homeless as former hedge fund managers wins the prize.

There was a former hedge fund manager at the homeless shelter I lived in. The recession hit a lot of people hard, and from what I gathered he didn't invest his money wisely due to some bad habits. Was I trying to recast all homeless people as former hedge fund managers (as if that's even some great thing to be)? No. I was trying to suggest that you would be suprised the kinds of people who find themselves down on there luck. I'm not sure who should be ashamed of their reading comprehension here -- but it's not me.

PS: I totally believe that you used to be a lawyer, does not surprise me at all.

PS: I totally believe that you used to be a lawyer, does not surprise me at all.

Just FYI, you can't really insult a lawyer by calling them a lawyer. :). That's not going to their kryptonite. To me that just means I bring a ton of worldly knowledge and experience to the table. Something most will never have or experience. Being a "premed" is less of a distinction, and probably more of a dirty word. just saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What evidence do you have that this is acceptable at only one out of 10 schools?.

I know and have worked with a ton of current and former adcom members at this point. They aren't looking for renegades. If you are doing something for yourself tht crosses lines that's on you, but don't pretend most schools are going to stand up and applaud. One or two might, but that's the rare bird. And in a committee setting even if someone thinks what you are doing is noble, there are always five others there to bring them down to earth.

Just FYI, you can't really insult a lawyer by calling them a lawyer. :). That's not going to their kryptonite. To me that just means I bring a ton of worldly knowledge and experience to the table. Something most will never have or experience. Being a "premed" is less of a distinction, and probably more of a dirty word. just saying.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you, so hopefully this will be the last of what I have to say on this matter. I think you have greatly overestimated my interest in what you think or feel. You can take it to mean whatever you like, I think we both know that I was using lawyer as a pejorative. I'm not really sure what this adversarial banter has stemmed from. You took a point I didn't try to make, and argued with me about it. Again, all I was trying to say is that you would be surprised who you run into in a homeless shelter, and the reason that is important is that it could be you one day. It probably won't, but it could. Given all of the other perfectly valid reasons to extend some compassion to the homeless, I highly doubt my point is going to convince you personally to change your opinion on the matter (I don't actually know what your opinion on the matter is, but I'm not comfortable assuming it's one that is humane). So don't worry about it.

I am a premed. I scored a 37 on my MCAT, I've interviewed at a number of schools, and I feel like I have a good shot at getting in, but yea bottom of the food chain. I never thought I would be here though. I grew up in abject poverty, dropped out of high school, never thought I would attend a university, let alone making it this far in a relatively selective process. I was there, I was on the streets, I was in a homeless shelter, and I wasn't a drug addict or mentally ill. There were most definitely people there who were or had been one or both, but what difference does it make? The services I received helped me, and made a difference. They are people and they aren't any less worthy of help than people who have no issues with addiction or mental illness. You can argue until you are blue in the face that they chose to be drug addicts or that it's a waste of time, but when I have established myself I intend to go back and extend to people who are in the shoes I wore 3 years ago the same courtesy I was extended. I'll donate money, I'll donate time, I'll help feed them, and I'll be glad to do it. And the people I met and lived with were a rich tapestry. Anyways, you seem very arrogant, but enjoy your worldly knowledge and distinction...

Reactions: 2 users
I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you, so hopefully this will be the last of what I have to say on this matter. I think you have greatly overestimated my interest in what you think or feel. You can take it to mean whatever you like, I think we both know that I was using lawyer as a pejorative. I'm not really sure what this adversarial banter has stemmed from. You took a point I didn't try to make, and argued with me about it. Again, all I was trying to say is that you would be surprised who you run into in a homeless shelter, and the reason that is important is that it could be you one day. It probably won't, but it could. Given all of the other perfectly valid reasons to extend some compassion to the homeless, I highly doubt my point is going to convince you personally to change your opinion on the matter (I don't actually know what your opinion on the matter is, but I'm not comfortable assuming it's one that is humane). So don't worry about it.

I am a premed. I scored a 37 on my MCAT, I've interviewed at a number of schools, and I feel like I have a good shot at getting in, but yea bottom of the food chain. I never thought I would be here though. I grew up in abject poverty, dropped out of high school, never thought I would attend a university, let alone making it this far in a relatively selective process. I was there, I was on the streets, I was in a homeless shelter, and I wasn't a drug addict or mentally ill. There were most definitely people there who were or had been one or both, but what difference does it make? The services I received helped me, and made a difference. They are people and they aren't any less worthy of help than people who have no issues with addiction or mental illness. You can argue until you are blue in the face that they chose to be drug addicts or that it's a waste of time, but when I have established myself I intend to go back and extend to people who are in the shoes I wore 3 years ago the same courtesy I was extended. I'll donate money, I'll donate time, I'll help feed them, and I'll be glad to do it. And the people I met and lived with were a rich tapestry. Anyways, you seem very arrogant, but enjoy your worldly knowledge and distinction...
You love the phrase rich tapestry...it's oddly congratulatory for a description of the homeless population

Congrats on your MCAT score but I'm not sure why it's relevant. I'm not saying you won't get into med school. I'm sure you will.

I'm saying that it's wrong to think breaking the law will be regarded positively by many med schools. Even if the law is wrong. I'm also saying it's wrong to try to paint the "homeless" as former hedge fund managers. You may know one but of all the "homeless" in the country, what percent do you think fit this bill -- 0.000001%? If that. But by throwing that in there you are clearly trying to paint a very different picture of the "homeless" than reality. You want us to see the "homeless" as other than just schizophrenics and substance abusers and others who cannot ever function in society even if we gave them a home and a hot meal and a leg up. And that's being disingenuous.

You love the phrase rich tapestry...it's oddly congratulatory for a description of the homeless population

Also a big part of being a "lawyer" is recasting reality in the light most favorable to your constituents. So I question who is really being the "lawyer" in this discussion. Me, or the person painting the picture that the homeless largely include hedge fund managers and others hit hard by the economy. :)

Also a big part of being a "lawyer" is recasting reality in the light most favorable to your constituents. So I question who is really being the "lawyer" in this discussion. Me, or the person painting the picture that the homeless largely include hedge fund managers and others hit hard by the economy. :)
Come on, I'm not disagreeing with your main argument, but please stop hammering on this as if the poster ever implied 'the homeless largely include hedge fund managers'. He cited one example of that to support his point that people of all backgrounds can end up homeless.

I m reading a lot of stuff that is very disturbing. Like people coming to the conclusion that because one anecdotal evidence pointed out con-artists running panhandler scams, that then all homeless people thus are panhandlers and thus are also con-artists... Not all homeless people are panhandlers, and not all panhandlers are homeless. Or that somehow because of few stories they've heard, suddenly the majority of homeless people are scamming the system, very much the same accusation that poor people abuse welfare to perpetuate their laziness...Or the fact that homeless people, and yes families, can come from a myriad of backgrounds and have different needs. Or people conflating causation with association when it comes to a internet and social media favorite: drugs, mental illness and homelessness/poverty/unemployment. Or people attacking the one person speaking from lived experience in homeless community over semantics of vocabulary and presentation...Whenever, privileged people (in this case if you have a permanent residence, food to eat, and shelter, you are privileged) talk about so called marginalized communities, it is always important to check to see if you are silencing important and necessary perspective from *said communities, otherwise we are just contributing to a very ivory tower-style of academic elitism and theory that has no practical application and actually contributes to perpetuating stereotypes and internalized biases rather than actual understanding.

For example, in my experience working with the Homeless in NYC, my organization: Coalition for the Homeless, know for a fact that families make up a significant portion of the homeless community (I believe there are about eighteen thousand adults in families in New York City who are homeless as of January, 2013, and more than twenty-one thousand children). Homeless families have in particular fewer problems of mental illness and substance abuse. Homeless families try especially hard to stay off the street, because if families are living on the street and they have children, they are more likely to be taken away and put in foster care. Furthermore, homeless families usually don’t engage with other passengers on public transportation, and they seldom panhandle. But inevitably, do some families fall through the system and end up on the streets? Yes, do they pan handle yes? Are the majority of families that pan handle con artists, or taking advantage of the system? No Are they just trying to find any ways possible to get by on a day to day basis? Yes

But the larger issue at hand is the assumption that because there are several policies and laws in place that *addresses homelessness, anyone that does not abide or go through the specific path set before them, they are doing it wrong or perpetuating *bad behavior. Any one that doesn't choose (or rather are unable) to lift themselves up in our current system must be lazy or not want it enough. If you ever examine the histories and power dynamic of homelessness policies and laws you would know that most of them were designed to eliminate homelessness, rather than help the homeless (which are two very very different things). A huge issue with studying and addressing homelessness is that usually the policy maker is so far removed from homelessness (exasperated by the fact that people who are homeless often remain homeless due to systemic barriers and social determinants and limiting their ability to self-represent) that policies satisfy political needs and inclinations rather than address homelessness in a holistic and comprehensive way ( as it is with many social justice issues in the United States). At work, for example we know that there are many policies in New York City all the way from HR at companies (not naming names on purpose) responsible for trying to get the unemployed jobs, to the housing authorities that need to fill quotas and numbers to qualify for the next quarter's grants, and funds. One specific example that I can give now is that many homeless shelters have an active process of trying to set the homeless up with jobs. To do so, they usually refer homeless applicants to certain organization designed to help the homeless design a resume, practice interview skills and teach them basic skills like typing. But this referral and acceptance procedure is highly discriminatory, inefficient, and slow. Certain companies like major retailers, do not hire people with past criminal history, lack of primary education, illiteracy, or drug convictions. Because hiring companies have to meet a number of quotas so that they can report solid statistics to their next budget presentation to a angel funder, or a higher up who controls the allowance and financing, this creates a inefficient and often porous safety net. Hiring and job consulting non profits thus choose to give their precious resources to people that they think they can market, people that they believe can get jobs, so they can fill a monthly quota of #s that were hired as a result of our organization. This actually perpetuates chronic homelessness in some cases because people who could use help of professional help has to be turned away. Other obvious draw backs include, when assessing applicant *hire-bility or *desirability, we are always wary of gender and racial discrimination at every level of the process. Hence the phrase, our safety net is failing (along with many other reasons, obviously).

Furthermore because this procedure is so tedious, difficult and long, often we find homeless candidates falling through the system, either losing their unemployment (if they ever qualified: because you need to meet a criteria of applying to 4 jobs a month in NYC with proof to qualify, along with certain qualification with regards to criminal background and no glaring tax violations etc etc), becoming disillusioned by the system, being between shelters, or any other millions of human reasons why they may fall out of the system. So yes, sometimes, homeless people need help from ordinary people on the streets. In fact a lot of homeless people that benefit from street donations or
food distributions don't beg, they see an opportunity and thus they fulfill a daily need for them and their families, all within a larger and often perpetual struggle, process and reality of being homeless.

Phew. I am done with my rant. I am really getting riled up. But anyways, my point is that, our systems and policies are not perfect, and instead of trying to justify their imperfection by victim blaming (which is a sentiment i feel i get here), we should strive to understand the situation before making sweeping judgments on specific population groups. Especially when we discuss those without the ability to defend themselves on a highly self selective and elitist forum like SDN.

And back to the OP. Honestly, the whole argument that you are perpetuating bad behavior of the homeless people, or you were actually *doing dis-service to the larger society as a whole by not working through the system is a bunch of crap. Along with people labeling you a renegade. Feeding the homeless does not necessary equate to feeding pan handlers, and *the possibility of maybe perpetuating a small demographic's behavior within a larger and systemic homeless community does not equate to the accusations that's been thrown in your direction. Homeless-ness is a societal and systemic problem. Absolute morality, or objectivity (sticking by a rule blindly) is a lie. Thats why we have values, and a brain. We all make informed decisions on how we can constructively help our communities. Some actions are micro focused, others are macro focused; their impacts are different and on different scales, but just because an action is micro doesn't make it inconsequential, meaningless. There is a reason that people are fed up with many backwards, outdated and out-of touch policies in this country like Stand Your Ground, social and professional discrimination of the LGBT community, denial of equal protection and rights of same sex marriage, and racial profiling by the police to the whole debate on health care and people hoping for single payer health care. You had good reasons to help out the way you saw necessary in this particular situation, and to be honest I think you should, albeit humbly, express that it was an issue that you felt passionate about and made an judgement call. Emphasize that you weren't trying to be a hero, just wanted to act on your values. Granted if you have an otherwise clean record, I see nothing wrong with what you did, and I can't see the admins coming to a negative conclusion about your character

I'll leave this quote here.

"Poverty and Homelessness is a burning building, but instead of using the harrowing stories of those who managed to escape as motivation to prevent as few people as possible from ever having to go through that again in the future, we use their example as justification for not putting out the fire. After all, if they made it out, the others inside must have not wanted it as badly and deserve their fate."

Last edited:
I got my first medical school acceptances today, and this thread has really reminded me of how far I've come. It's also reminded me that I am in debt to many people who helped me get my life together, and that I need to do more to give back.

At the homeless shelter I lived in in McKinney half of the residents were families. There was a family from Nicaragua, the husband and wife had 8 kids, and they were possibly the most well behaved kids I have ever seen. They mostly kept to themselves, but from the little I interacted with them and from what I saw I developed a great amount of respect for them. There were a number of single mothers, and mothers who were fleeing abusive domestic environments. They are less likely to panhandle, and I personally have never panhandled, but you might find them at a soup kitchen set up to feed the homeless.

While there are services for homeless people, there are a number of issues with accessing them. In Dallas they have a homeless shelter called the Bridge, and while they've made some progress it has a reputation for being unsafe. I stayed at the Salvation Army a few times, and while it's difficult to criticize an organization that's serving you charitably, I feel like the particular SA I stayed at had a number of issues they ignored. There was no where to put your stuff where it wouldn't be subject to possibly being stolen. I had some of the few possession I owned stolen while staying there, and was punched in the face by two other homeless men while trying to prevent them from stealing from me. The volunteers did not seem particularly concerned, and so I stopped staying at the Salvation Army. A number of the services for homeless people are religious, and you may be required to participate in religious activities in one way or another in order to access them. A lot of homeless people are drug addicts or alcoholics, and a lot of homeless shelters require them to be sober in order to stay there. You might say, well why don't you just not use drugs while you're staying there, that seems fair. Beyond the fact that it's not that easy, these people have a physical addiction, and it is dangerous for them to just stop using. Unfortunately, it's also not that easy to obtain help with addiction such as medical rehabilitation facilities.

The homeless shelter that ultimately helped me get on my feet is the only homeless shelter in the Collin County area. It is not government funded, and while they are working to expand, they do not have enough beds to meet the demand. I had to sleep outside for almost a week before a spot opened up. I considered giving up, but I'm really glad I didn't.

Being homeless is an extremely socially isolating experience. I didn't panhandle or do anything to advertise the fact that I was homeless, but I was still subject to people making disparaging remarks. People would drive by and honk their horn at me and shout get a job. On a couple occasions people would throw things at me from their car, like a slurpee from 711. People at the super market would stare at me. One person at the supermarket... I don't know if he had been listening to Rush Limbaugh all day or something and was just riled up, but spent about 3 or 5 minutes yelling at me about food stamps, and how I should stop being a lazy parasite. I was not on food stamps. Thankfully one of the other customers intervened on my behalf and told him to leave me alone. Security in stores would immediately follow me to make sure I wasn't stealing (not saying they weren't doing so for a logical reason, but it still didn't feel good). A lot of my friends didn't want to see me in the state I was in, so I would try to reach out to them, not even for money but just because I needed someone to talk to, and they would ignore me. I felt ashamed of my existence, and that makes it really hard to just "pull yourself up by your boot straps".

I hear people in this thread talking about drug addiction and mental illness, and I feel like it's implied that these people should be disqualified from being treated compassionately as a result. I just want to point out that of the people at the particular homeless shelter I stayed at (granted, this is a subset of the aggregate homeless population as they did not accept people who failed drug tests during their entry interview, or people with certain criminal histories) the most common presentation of mental illness I observed was young veterans with PTSD. It was really sad because I really liked a lot of these guys, and they would make progress in terms of getting their lives back on track, but for a lot of them something would eventually set them off, and I watched over and over people losing all the progress they had made because of their mental instability. These are people who, however you feel about war or the military, joined the military with the intention of protecting and serving you and ended up becoming damaged as a result, and they deserve respect irrespective of their mental health.

Last edited:
AngelofAvarice congrats on the acceptance bro! Your post literally brought tears to my eyes! You getting to this point IMO is a much greater success than having multiple initials next to your name!

Law2Doc I would agree with you that most homeless people (especially long term ones) have some sort of mental health/addiction problem(s), but your arrogant dismissal of these vulnerable individuals is a little discomforting. Does the fact that they aren't former hedge fund managers make them less of a human? Since they can't "ever function in our society" should we buy all of them a one way ticket to hell? Aren't mental health and addiction medical issues that fall under the responsibility of the medical community to solve instead of being grounds for dismissal? Should we be angry that the ER is one of the few places that these people turn to for help? Should be outraged since they are distracting us from our real patients who actually have insurance? Shouldn't we all become foot soldiers who serve the privileged amongst us? But wouldn't that just make all of us in medicine servants for the privileged? A tool that can be requested at the time of need! How is that more noble than just being a maid for the privileged?

OP - to add to all the wonderful advice you have already received - The main determinant of how this will impact your app is what happens going forward.

-Don't get arrested again! Disrespect for the law is never a good thing.
- Don't give up! Keep fighting your cause within the realm of the law and through the legal system! Giving up would be a sign of weakness and a lack of dedication. You may or may not be successful in actually challenging the law, but you will certainly experience a tremendous amount of personal growth! Even coming to realize that your actions might have been a little naive is a great deal of growth.
- Most adcoms might be conservative (personally or in their decision making), but this might actually be a plus for you! There is no point of getting accepted into a school that doesn't support your personality. As long as you have a strong app, this will most certainly not keep you away from medical school. The schools you get into might actually be a better "fit" for your personally.

I m reading a lot of stuff that is very disturbing. Like people coming to the conclusion that because one anecdotal evidence pointed out con-artists running panhandler scams, that then all homeless people thus are panhandlers and thus are also con-artists... Not all homeless people are panhandlers, and not all panhandlers are homeless. Or that somehow because of few stories they've heard, suddenly the majority of homeless people are scamming the system, very much the same accusation that poor people abuse welfare to perpetuate their laziness...Or the fact that homeless people, and yes families, can come from a myriad of backgrounds and have different needs. Or people conflating causation with association when it comes to a internet and social media favorite: drugs, mental illness and homelessness/poverty/unemployment. Or people attacking the one person speaking from lived experience in homeless community over semantics of vocabulary and presentation...Whenever, privileged people (in this case if you have a permanent residence, food to eat, and shelter, you are privileged) talk about so called marginalized communities, it is always important to check to see if you are silencing important and necessary perspective from *said communities, otherwise we are just contributing to a very ivory tower-style of academic elitism and theory that has no practical application and actually contributes to perpetuating stereotypes and internalized biases rather than actual understanding.

For example, in my experience working with the Homeless in NYC, my organization: Coalition for the Homeless, know for a fact that families make up a significant portion of the homeless community (I believe there are about eighteen thousand adults in families in New York City who are homeless as of January, 2013, and more than twenty-one thousand children). Homeless families have in particular fewer problems of mental illness and substance abuse. Homeless families try especially hard to stay off the street, because if families are living on the street and they have children, they are more likely to be taken away and put in foster care. Furthermore, homeless families usually don’t engage with other passengers on public transportation, and they seldom panhandle. But inevitably, do some families fall through the system and end up on the streets? Yes, do they pan handle yes? Are the majority of families that pan handle con artists, or taking advantage of the system? No Are they just trying to find any ways possible to get by on a day to day basis? Yes

But the larger issue at hand is the assumption that because there are several policies and laws in place that *addresses homelessness, anyone that does not abide or go through the specific path set before them, they are doing it wrong or perpetuating *bad behavior. Any one that doesn't choose (or rather are unable) to lift themselves up in our current system must be lazy or not want it enough. If you ever examine the histories and power dynamic of homelessness policies and laws you would know that most of them were designed to eliminate homelessness, rather than help the homeless (which are two very very different things). A huge issue with studying and addressing homelessness is that usually the policy maker is so far removed from homelessness (exasperated by the fact that people who are homeless often remain homeless due to systemic barriers and social determinants and limiting their ability to self-represent) that policies satisfy political needs and inclinations rather than address homelessness in a holistic and comprehensive way ( as it is with many social justice issues in the United States). At work, for example we know that there are many policies in New York City all the way from HR at companies (not naming names on purpose) responsible for trying to get the unemployed jobs, to the housing authorities that need to fill quotas and numbers to qualify for the next quarter's grants, and funds. One specific example that I can give now is that many homeless shelters have an active process of trying to set the homeless up with jobs. To do so, they usually refer homeless applicants to certain organization designed to help the homeless design a resume, practice interview skills and teach them basic skills like typing. But this referral and acceptance procedure is highly discriminatory, inefficient, and slow. Certain companies like major retailers, do not hire people with past criminal history, lack of primary education, illiteracy, or drug convictions. Because hiring companies have to meet a number of quotas so that they can report solid statistics to their next budget presentation to a angel funder, or a higher up who controls the allowance and financing, this creates a inefficient and often porous safety net. Hiring and job consulting non profits thus choose to give their precious resources to people that they think they can market, people that they believe can get jobs, so they can fill a monthly quota of #s that were hired as a result of our organization. This actually perpetuates chronic homelessness in some cases because people who could use help of professional help has to be turned away. Other obvious draw backs include, when assessing applicant *hire-bility or *desirability, we are always wary of gender and racial discrimination at every level of the process. Hence the phrase, our safety net is failing (along with many other reasons, obviously).

Furthermore because this procedure is so tedious, difficult and long, often we find homeless candidates falling through the system, either losing their unemployment (if they ever qualified: because you need to meet a criteria of applying to 4 jobs a month in NYC with proof to qualify, along with certain qualification with regards to criminal background and no glaring tax violations etc etc), becoming disillusioned by the system, being between shelters, or any other millions of human reasons why they may fall out of the system. So yes, sometimes, homeless people need help from ordinary people on the streets. In fact a lot of homeless people that benefit from street donations or
food distributions don't beg, they see an opportunity and thus they fulfill a daily need for them and their families, all within a larger and often perpetual struggle, process and reality of being homeless.

Phew. I am done with my rant. I am really getting riled up. But anyways, my point is that, our systems and policies are not perfect, and instead of trying to justify their imperfection by victim blaming (which is a sentiment i feel i get here), we should strive to understand the situation before making sweeping judgments on specific population groups. Especially when we discuss those without the ability to defend themselves on a highly self selective and elitist forum like SDN.

And back to the OP. Honestly, the whole argument that you are perpetuating bad behavior of the homeless people, or you were actually *doing dis-service to the larger society as a whole by not working through the system is a bunch of crap. Along with people labeling you a renegade. Feeding the homeless does not necessary equate to feeding pan handlers, and *the possibility of maybe perpetuating a small demographic's behavior within a larger and systemic homeless community does not equate to the accusations that's been thrown in your direction. Homeless-ness is a societal and systemic problem. Absolute morality, or objectivity (sticking by a rule blindly) is a lie. Thats why we have values, and a brain. We all make informed decisions on how we can constructively help our communities. Some actions are micro focused, others are macro focused; their impacts are different and on different scales, but just because an action is micro doesn't make it inconsequential, meaningless. There is a reason that people are fed up with many backwards, outdated and out-of touch policies in this country like Stand Your Ground, social and professional discrimination of the LGBT community, denial of equal protection and rights of same sex marriage, and racial profiling by the police to the whole debate on health care and people hoping for single payer health care. You had good reasons to help out the way you saw necessary in this particular situation, and to be honest I think you should, albeit humbly, express that it was an issue that you felt passionate about and made an judgement call. Emphasize that you weren't trying to be a hero, just wanted to act on your values. Granted if you have an otherwise clean record, I see nothing wrong with what you did, and I can't see the admins coming to a negative conclusion about your character

I'll leave this quote here.

"Poverty and Homelessness is a burning building, but instead of using the harrowing stories of those who managed to escape as motivation to prevent as few people as possible from ever having to go through that again in the future, we use their example as justification for not putting out the fire. After all, if they made it out, the others inside must have not wanted it as badly and deserve their fate."
Drop the privilege crap, something bought and paid for isn't a privilege...my home is no privilege

Drop the privilege crap, something bought and paid for isn't a privilege...my home is no privilege

I think that using words like white privilege can be counter productive. It seems like the primary purpose is to passive aggressively provoke people sometimes, but that doesn't mean the concept is invalid. I don't know you or your situation/life story, so I can't speak to whether you are privileged or not. I can say that I have privileges (advantages that I did not necessarily acquire solely through my own efforts) that many others I met did not have (innate intelligence, parents, relatively good mental health, relatively good physical health, etc.), and there are many people in this thread who probably had and have advantages I did not have. Doesn't mean you should feel bad about them, or that you don't deserve to have or keep them necessarily.

I think the relevance of bringing privilege or whatever you want to call it up is that one can come off as entitled and arrogant by not acknowledging these differences in circumstance when speaking about and judging other people's lives and choices, and there are certain aspects of other people's lives that you or I can't necessarily take into account because they aren't things that effect us. I can say that I act and make different choices than the homeless drug addict with untreated bipolar disorder, but I can't say as easily that I would act and make different choices if I were not me, but instead was in that person's shoes. It's real easy to judge homeless people for example, to list out all the things that they should be doing to fix their situation or should have done to avoid their situation. I used to do it to, and then I was homeless and I realized I was full of ****.

I was arrested for "Presence at the place of an unlawful assembly" because I was in a crowd of 200 protestors that the police swept up all at once...while providing first aid at that. Didn't mention it in my interviews though (no conviction and it seemed risky since it was political) and I don't think it figured into my acceptance. That said, if you did want to mention your situation I feel like it's pretty defensible as others have mentioned.

As many people say, med school people are conservative, and they might be asking you or themselves .... why are you enabling homelessness? I.e. the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" mentality.