So I was shopping yesterday w/ the wife and...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
And I saw this!!

img0452bn.jpg

img0454pn.jpg
Unfortunately, it was $19 and I got shot down on buying it, but I did take pictures of it!

I know this is KINDA O/T, but not super O/T, so I made a new thread. Rar.

Enjoy!

2re2pnr.jpg

xo31g9.jpg

1z1ec1d.jpg

img0454pn.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe no one else loves this thing but you and me!?

It was in Urban Outfitters, and at $19, would've been about 3 times cheaper than anything she actually bought there (200 bucks on 4 things, wtf??? My clothes are like 200 bucks for 10 things...)

Members don't see this ad :)
It shows how nerdy.. I mean appreciative we are. :laugh:

Ooh.. Urban Outfitters. Yeah, they're a little pricey, but they have really nice things! You can't possibly understand a girl's love for her clothing. :p

is it a cocktail mixer or a 60gal trash can? can't tell the size from that shot. I would take it off their hands for no more than $5. $19-please.

is it a cocktail mixer or a 60gal trash can? can't tell the size from that shot. I would take it off their hands for no more than $5. $19-please.

Truth be told. Can you put a quarter next to it or something?

It's big, really big, lol. I was struck by its size as well. Should've done the quarter-comparison thing, but I didn't think scale was really necessary =]

@ WVU - They have some pretty cute stuff in there! I guess in West V. if you don't buy everything at WalMart or Target, you're a hipster? ;) She does have an iPod, but it'd be hard to find someone who doesn't... I think she considers herself to be "geek chic". Is that a subcategory of a Hipster? LOL

@ WVU - They have some pretty cute stuff in there! I guess in West V. if you don't buy everything at WalMart or Target, you're a hipster? ;) She does have an iPod, but it'd be hard to find someone who doesn't... I think she considers herself to be "geek chic". Is that a subcategory of a Hipster? LOL

I don't know about WV, but here in Arkansas Wal-Mart is a respectable place to shop... and Target is downright classy.

This is more our style.

redneckarticle.jpg

I don't know about WV, but here in Arkansas Wal-Mart is a respectable place to shop... and Target is downright classy.

This is more our style.

redneckarticle.jpg

:lol:

IMO Walmart is great for shopping for household items and electronics. Target, the same. Consider me to be the biggest freakin' hipster there is. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was way out in Long Island one time and riding in a car when we encountered some tool riding their horse on the middle of the road. When we honked, she left the road and started riding on peoples lawns. :eek:

To me, there would be no better reason to ride a horse as transportation than to trample all over gardens.

8 bucks online, 19 bucks in Urban Outfitters, sounds about right. As does 7" tall... It had a huge circumference too, way more than my actual cocktail shaker, but hey, its an Rx shaker!

I have about a 36" x 18" neon Valu-Rite pharmacy sign I picked up a few years ago. It hung in my living room for years until I got married this past summer. The wife says it must hide in the closet in our study.... for now.

loooool. this reminded me of my room. my bed looks like a pill counter, and my trash can looks just like this. :D

It's big, really big, lol. I was struck by its size as well. Should've done the quarter-comparison thing, but I didn't think scale was really necessary =]

I doubt I'd actually classify her as such. Urban Outfitters is the ultimate hipster chain clothing store. Brilliant marketing stratagy that targets people that hate being targeted as consumers. Generation Y pisses me off and I'm a member of it...we are just so lacking in any unique style. :(

And Target has nice **** every now and then.

This is more our style.

redneckarticle.jpg

Over in Bamer, they dress up to see the Leprechauns.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8[/YOUTUBE]

"Hipster" to me means non-mainstream, counter-culture, "hippy" types (hence the original etymology of the name). She is anything but non-mainstream. Big-box, expensive retail stores are the epitome of mainstream.

But isn't it easy to fall into a trap like this?

1) Everyone shops at mainstream, big-box stores.
2) I want to be cool, unique and different
3) New, cool hip stores appear, pitching themselves as being the answer.
4) Self-proclaimed 'cool, hip' people start shopping there - making it the new mainstream.
5) In an effort to be even more cool and hip than them, I... go back to shopping at chain stores? :confused:

But isn't it easy to fall into a trap like this?

1) Everyone shops at mainstream, big-box stores.
2) I want to be cool, unique and different
3) New, cool hip stores appear, pitching themselves as being the answer.
4) Self-proclaimed 'cool, hip' people start shopping there - making it the new mainstream.
5) In an effort to be even more cool and hip than them, I... go back to shopping at chain stores? :confused:

And then divide by zero.

Once I have a real job, I'm building a man-cave. What better place to install surround sound, a working beer tap, and neon signs of defunct chains?

I am a little older than the typical pharmacy student (30 going on 31) and just finished my basement this past year. Needless to say when we have all night study sessions my basement is the place to be because I have a 50" plasma screen TV, leather furniture, very good bourbon, and a jagermeister tap machine that will hold three (3) fifth bottles of jagermeister.

Man caves are awesome.

[YOUTUBE]nda_OSWeyn8[/YOUTUBE]

Human stupidity at its finest. Apparently a remix was in order.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0NYzfokrXE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
"Hipster" to me means non-mainstream, counter-culture, "hippy" types (hence the original etymology of the name). She is anything but non-mainstream. Big-box, expensive retail stores are the epitome of mainstream.

Actually, "hipster" originally was a counterculture of the 1940s. For those keeping score, that was before the 1960s.

This article I just randomly found sums it all up for me...

We are a lost generation, desperately clinging to anything that feels real, but too afraid to become it ourselves. We are a defeated generation, resigned to the hypocrisy of those before us, who once sang songs of rebellion and now sell them back to us. We are the last generation, a culmination of all previous things, destroyed by the vapidity that surrounds us. The hipster represents the end of Western civilization – a culture so detached and disconnected that it has stopped giving birth to anything new.

That's one of the most brilliant paragraphs of thought I've read all week...

Actually, "hipster" originally was a counterculture of the 1940s. For those keeping score, that was before the 1960s.

This article I just randomly found sums it all up for me...
I said to me.
It's a colloquial phrase. The definition of such even that article will not garner 100% of agreeance in the community. Hipster is not even in Tara's 11 volume Oxford English Dictionary unabridged collection, therefore its definition is almost completely subjective.

Again, to me, hipster means counter-culture, not mainstream. And you can find that reference in some literature referenced in the Wiki article also, so really there is no completely agreed upon definition of it.

That article is a good read, but my wife is definitely not that. Spandex leggings, wtf, and non-prescription glasses like Clark Kent ****?

I said to me.
That article is a good read, but my wife is definitely not that. Spandex leggings, wtf, and non-prescription glasses like Clark Kent ****?

some people feel that they look better in glasses. I think that I do - they hide the puffy, dark spots under my eyes. But then again, mine are also not prescription lol

The interesting thing about the whole weird ass thing is that its the first time I can recall that a bunch of white people created a "style" that some black people emulate...and not the other way around.

Like Kanye West for example.

black-hipsters.jpg

And this guy:

37jsqloFrr35ggcvKscnEJSTo1_500.jpg

And this dude:

37jsqloFro7r1ky3I8uHw0iBo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the cocktail shaker thing. It's funny... but yeah, I'd probably be cheap and order it off the internet also. lol I like a lot of the stuff on thinkgeek.com too... some of it is expensive though.

I'm glad that most of my responses get deleted before they're sent from my phone because I was going to ask what a hipster was. haha

Stupid question I guess... but I've never really heard the term used that much.

I personally think it's dumb to purposely try and be "different". What is "different" anyway? Why can't we all just be ourselves and not worry about whether our personal preferences fall in the majority or minority. lol

I think it's funny because a while ago people were shopping at consignment and vintage stores and saying they were going non mainstream or whatever you want to call it, and then all the pop stars and famous people started doing it so then it just becomes mainstream again.

Most people I know who will go buy some designer stuff, like shoes or a bag, at Neiman's have no problem going down the street later on and getting a bathing suit or t shirt at Target or K Mart. Most don't pay attention to the place it came from because you usually can't tell once it's out the bag. (Obviously not always true for the nicer stuff you might invest on like purses, shoes, business suits, whatever, but generally speaking...)

I was way out in Long Island one time and riding in a car when we encountered some tool riding their horse on the middle of the road. When we honked, she left the road and started riding on peoples lawns. :eek:

why the **** would you honk your horn at someone on a horse? ESPECIALLY on pavement. (horse shoes + pavement = slippery)

They are large, stupid, suicidal creatures. And why is it worse that she was riding on lawns?

you really are a jackass.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8[/YOUTUBE]

"Where da gold at?!"

I was introduced to this glorious video by some WV med students a couple weeks ago (behind the times, I know)