So I was talking to one of my future classmates tonight...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arvest25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
And this is what they told me:

1. School comes easy to them
2. They will put little effort into school and still get good grades
3. They are going to work part time after school because we will have lots of "free time" after class (Our Fall semester will have 19 credit hours (labs not included))
4. Cramming is their specialty! They will read the chapters the night before an exam and be fine!
5. They will be working as a PT in 2014!

Any thoughts, lol?

Members don't see this ad.

And just for the record.....they were serious as a heart attack!

Members don't see this ad :)
They will soon find out they'll have to change their ways if the plan on staying in school. There's no way you can cram in anatomy, physiology, neuroscience, really any course in PT school. Even classes that aren't all studying, like a musculoskeletal class, will require early and continuous practice of manual skills in order to get it right. Also, that free time is much needed for studying, eating, sleeping, recuperating, etc. I advise you to show your future classmate the thread where current DPT students talk about what PT school is like so that he/she understands that PT school is VERY different from undergrad!

I'm actually scared that they want to do as little as possible to get by. That attitude will not make for a good PT.

Wow. Clearly you want him/her to be your study buddy!!! ;)

In all seriousness, let him/her be that stupid about it... then you can laugh at them when they fail! Haha ;)

They will soon find out they'll have to change their ways if the plan on staying in school. There's no way you can cram in anatomy, physiology, neuroscience, really any course in PT school. Even classes that aren't all studying, like a musculoskeletal class, will require early and continuous practice of manual skills in order to get it right. Also, that free time is much needed for studying, eating, sleeping, recuperating, etc. I advise you to show your future classmate the thread where current DPT students talk about what PT school is like so that he/she understands that PT school is VERY different from undergrad!

I'm actually scared that they want to do as little as possible to get by. That attitude will not make for a good PT.

Thank you for your post! I actually did show them this forum, but they didn't even care to look..."I'll check it out some other time"

And don't be scared about them becoming a sorry PT....do you honestly believe they will survive? Heck, we are REQUIRED to maintain a 3.0GPA throughout school! I have no idea how that's going to happen w/just cramming and listening in class (that is if they do this, lol)....

Wow. Clearly you want him/her to be your study buddy!!! ;)

In all seriousness, let him/her be that stupid about it... then you can laugh at them when they fail! Haha ;)

lol, I seriously have to check out this "cramming session" at least once while they are still in the program, lol! Who knows, maybe they have a bag of those super pills from the movie "Limitless" hahahahahaha

Markelmarcel, how long do you think this will last? Im going to say 1 month

Y'all gonna be best friends lol just playing.

lol, oh yea! I think they are one of those party people! I'm starting to wonder how in the world did they get accepted? But thinking about them and everything I know about them....I wouldn't be surprised if they had someone else conduct their phone interview, lol; they seem like the type ;)

But hey, school wouldn't be as fun without someone of such in the program, hahaha! Just wish you were attending school here Jbizzle...I'd make sure you guys are roommates, hahahaha You'd prolly have to pick up the rent halfway through the semester due to him getting booted from the program, lol

1. School comes easy to them
Sure it does now. Undergraduate work isn't that bad.
2. They will put little effort into school and still get good grades
Oh, okay. I guess a C or F qualifies as a good grade for them?
3. They are going to work part time after school because we will have lots of "free time" after class (Our Fall semester will have 19 credit hours (labs not included))
Oh, man. Lucky them! I wish I would be able to work during PT school! I wonder if they realize the "19 credit hours" actually translates into almost 36-40 hours (is that right current PT students?) in school per week including studying, eating, screaming into your pillow, sleeping, etc.
4. Cramming is their specialty! They will read the chapters the night before an exam and be fine!
I doubt they'll be able to cram everything, retain it, and apply it. Their brains might just explode.
5. They will be working as a PT in 2014!
Says who? Oh, that's right. Crazy people.

No worries!

If they pass their exams, get at least a "B" to be approved for graduation (the requirement for graduate studies), and pass their NPTE board exam....

Then good for them. Please don't compare yourself to them...
No matter which school you're going to, there will always be a few of those that it will come easy for them. Also, their "it comes easy" statement to you might be a cover up for lack of confidence...

Anyway, if their mentality bothers you, then I wouldn't hang out with them. Only be surrounded by good people, those that will encourage you to do well and challenge you in a positive way.

Honestly, they could do very well if this is the way they go about school. Probably for about 1 semester though. Something that hit me like a ton of bricks over my last year in school was how much you HAD to retain. Cramming is effective...however, it's not going to allow you to retain the information and apply it in future classes. I think your friend here will have a rude awakening at some point :)

Honestly, they could do very well if this is the way they go about school. Probably for about 1 semester though. Something that hit me like a ton of bricks over my last year in school was how much you HAD to retain. Cramming is effective...however, it's not going to allow you to retain the information and apply it in future classes. I think your friend here will have a rude awakening at some point :)
GREAT point. It's so true!!

Please don't compare yourself to them...
No matter which school you're going to, there will always be a few of those that it will come easy for them. Also, their "it comes easy" statement to you might be a cover up for lack of confidence...

Anyway, if their mentality bothers you, then I wouldn't hang out with them. Only be surrounded by good people, those that will encourage you to do well and challenge you in a positive way.

I don't think the OP was comparing themselves to the "new classmate" but rather just a snickering thought that the person thinks it will be a breeze.

And hey, it may be for some people, it seems like it always is for some- but like you said, don't hang around a person who doesn't work like you do! The key, I'm sure, is to find like-minded people who want to study in the same fashion as you (and that doesn't involve simply cramming the night before the exam).