So if the medical school you attend doesn't matter...

Monette

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
220
2
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So as most of you are probably aware, I’m trying to decide whether to defer and reapply or just stick with the medical school that accepted me. Your commentary on that subject should be directed here:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=295306

The responses and PMs I have been getting have pointed towards the fact that it really does NOT matter where you go for your MD as long as you actually get one. Most people say that your grades, your board scores and LORs will make you competitive for any residency. And that where you do your residency does in fact matter. So, does anyone know where the residency programs/hospitals are ranked? Also, what if you do match into your field but not at one of the more sought-after and/or coveted top-tier places, then what? Are you destined to become a craptastic doctor?

Pre-meds always say “Oh don’t worry, it doesn’t matter where you go for medical school! It only matters where you do your residency!” I guess I’m wondering how medical students console those that match into their specialty but don’t get a particularly coveted spot. Do they say “Oh don’t worry, you’re still going to be a doctor…” I would imagine that it would be a lot easier matching into a residency somewhere that is top-tier if you attended a school of similar ranking and/or recognition and dare I say it prestige (sorry Law2Doc)? I mean wouldn't the top residency programs favour students coming from their own institutions? And since the top students presumably get into top schools, then wouldn't other highly qualified students who weren’t fortunate enough to get into the top schools be at a disadvantage come residency matching time?

Thoughts, anyone?

Monette
 

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
2,343
5
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
what I've learned from here is that unless you'd like to match into an uber-competitive specialty (dermatology) or go into academic medicine, then it doesn't matter so much where you go to medical school as how well you do once you're there. it's hard to remember this when things like the usnw rankings are so commonly banted about on sdn, but the old hands on the site seem to believe it, so there might be something to the rumor. so in conclusion, if i were you, i'd take the school and run with it.

and after reading law2doc's post in the previous thread, i sort of agree. you'd do well to put aside rankings for residency programs and hospitals. there's too much space in between you and them now; you aren't even in med school yet. i think it's a better idea to simply knuckle down and get off to a good start as an ms1. you won't have to pick residencies until at least three years from now. worrying about them when you haven't matriculated to med school yet seems like a lot of unnecessary hassle.
 
OP
M

Monette

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
220
2
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Rafa said:
what I've learned from here is that unless you'd like to match into an uber-competitive specialty (dermatology) or go into academic medicine, then it doesn't matter so much where you go to medical school as how well you do once you're there. it's hard to remember this when things like the usnw rankings are so commonly banted about on sdn, but the old hands on the site seem to believe it, so there might be something to the rumor. so in conclusion, if i were you, i'd take the school and run with it.

and after reading law2doc's post in the previous thread, i sort of agree. you'd do well to put aside rankings for residency programs and hospitals. there's too much space in between you and them now; you aren't even in med school yet. i think it's a better idea to simply knuckle down and get off to a good start as an ms1. you won't have to pick residencies until at least three years from now. worrying about them when you haven't matriculated to med school yet seems like a lot of unnecessary hassle.
Too bad derm is one of the specialties I am interested in - although not the only one.

And about your avatar, that was tragic. I really wanted Zizou to go out on top and with style. Too bad. Bummer. Royal Bummer. :(

Monette
 

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
5,168
139
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Warning: Thread Hijak

I was shocked by Zidane's head butt, I wonder what happened?
 
OP
M

Monette

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2004
220
2
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DrVanNostran said:
Warning: Thread Hijak

I was shocked by Zidane's head butt, I wonder what happened?
AHAHA! I'm on Messenger right now discussing with friends the tragedy that *is* the head butt and that *will* inevitably become the most replayed moment of World Cup '06. I was absolutely devastated. :( :mad: My money is that a racial slur by the spineless Italian provoked it. I suppose it is somewhat befitting to end a tournament that has been plagued by the resurfacing of longstanding and buried racial tensions on such a sour note (if a racial slur was in fact what provoked it). I just can't imagine what else would make a guy respected for being such a class act and celebrated for his sportsmanship to act in such a barbaric way. And with such brute force. :eek:

I can't believe that *that* was his last moment on a soccer field after such a glorious career. I know there's nothing that excuses such behaviour but I seriously can't believe that he was less than ten minutes away from becoming a legend. Certainly *the* soccer legend of our generation! And now he will be remembered as the guy who got redcarded in OT of the final after headbutting some Italian dude. :thumbdown:

You know, he didn't go out with style, but the Italians never win with style either. (I suppose it is also befitting to have a team plagued with scandal win such a controversial tournament and in such a controversial way. :rolleyes: ) People will be talking about the Zidane incident more than they will be talking about the Italians winning it. I feel like Italy didn't win it, France lost it. And of course they lost it because of Zidane. It seemed like the whole match was about him. After France took out Brazil, the tournament became about him. It was his stage. He was supposed to re-establish his status as a national hero, a talented phenomenon, and an international idol for aspiring soccer players. Oh and the hope for every 30-something-year-old soccer player. Can you tell I’m upset? Ah well. You know, I sound like such a sports fanatic, but I'm really not. I just heart the World Cup. And man, this must have been the least watched Wimbledon ever. OK, I feel like such a guy now. Excuse me while I go find my lip gloss. :p My bright pink one of course. ;)

Feel free to discuss Zizou, BUT, I also hope to hear thoughts about the other pressing issue :)

Monette
 

monami

Member
10+ Year Member
May 10, 2006
61
1
Status
I'll bet it was a racial slur(and a real bad one maybe). I have never seen Zidane lose temper, the guy always keeps his cool.
 

FenderHM

Where there's a will...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2006
573
3
Status
Medical Student
maybe he said something about Mrs. Zidane or something...
 

ijcMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
147
0
35
New York
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
the commentators said he had lost his temper on the field before... regardless of whatever was said, his action was pathetic
 

Who M.D.

Member
10+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
60
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Monette said:
The responses and PMs I have been getting have pointed towards the fact that it really does NOT matter where you go for your MD as long as you actually get one. Most people say that your grades, your board scores and LORs will make you competitive for any residency. And that where you do your residency does in fact matter.
Unfortunately, I'm going to temporarily veer this thread back on topic briefly . . .

Please note, Monette, that I don't write with any real authority on this matter. However, my understanding is that where you do your residency matters mostly because different programs will emphasize different things. E.g. two different dermatology residencies will emphasize different treating different illnesses; two different psychiatry residencies will emphasize treating in different environments (e.g. hospital v. long term care), etc. So when choosing your residency, where you do your residency will affect to some degree what you're best trained in and, therefore, what you will end up likely doing during your career.

This assessment is mostly based on speaking with friends who're doing residency in Canada, so the situation may be different in the U.S. I also have not properly researched this, so take my interpretation as somewhat "soft".
 

DougFlutie

Early Retirement
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2005
122
1
The bottom of a box of Flutie Flakes...
Status
Monette said:
I just can't imagine what else would make a guy respected for being such a class act and celebrated for his sportsmanship to act in such a barbaric way.

Umm...this is the guy who STOMPED on an opposing player in the 1998 Cup, and headbutted another player in a 2000 Champions League match. :thumbdown:
 

silas2642

silas2642
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2005
2,283
15
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Monette said:
So as most of you are probably aware, I’m trying to decide whether to defer and reapply or just stick with the medical school that accepted me. Your commentary on that subject should be directed here:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=295306

The responses and PMs I have been getting have pointed towards the fact that it really does NOT matter where you go for your MD as long as you actually get one. Most people say that your grades, your board scores and LORs will make you competitive for any residency. And that where you do your residency does in fact matter. So, does anyone know where the residency programs/hospitals are ranked? Also, what if you do match into your field but not at one of the more sought-after and/or coveted top-tier places, then what? Are you destined to become a craptastic doctor?

Pre-meds always say “Oh don’t worry, it doesn’t matter where you go for medical school! It only matters where you do your residency!” I guess I’m wondering how medical students console those that match into their specialty but don’t get a particularly coveted spot. Do they say “Oh don’t worry, you’re still going to be a doctor…” I would imagine that it would be a lot easier matching into a residency somewhere that is top-tier if you attended a school of similar ranking and/or recognition and dare I say it prestige (sorry Law2Doc)? I mean wouldn't the top residency programs favour students coming from their own institutions? And since the top students presumably get into top schools, then wouldn't other highly qualified students who weren’t fortunate enough to get into the top schools be at a disadvantage come residency matching time?

Thoughts, anyone?

Monette
The consensus on this forum seems to be that if the name of your school does matter, then it matter very little. Of course going to Harvard or Johns Hopkins is going to help you in obtaining the residency of your choice, but in the end, most of us aren't able to get into these kind of schools. The point is to do well wherever you do go, and you'll be okay. It's not like the only people who ever match into dermatology anywhere are those who go to top 10 schools; if you graduate near or at the top of your class with a strong resume, you're probably going to match into the specialty of your choice.

I don't think that your residency matters all that much either, unless you're going into academic medicine or something. Anyone else care to comment?
 

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
11,826
56
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
Medical schools (i asked this in allo forums), matter in the sense of it connectins to area residencies, or other residencies in which there is an established relationship. Clinical recommendations make a large part of getting you landed into a residency, and much of that has to do with who your faculty recommenders know. Thus it might serve to your purpose if you further investigated what those relationships are at the schools you would like to attend. It would be more beneficial (probably) to have faculty working for you who have strong relationships with a desired certain residency program, then one that is unrelated and has never worked with such a program. Thats not to say, however, that where you go will preclude you from unlinked residency programs, as medicine is many respects, what you make of it yourself. After all, an MD degree from any US. Accredited Medical School is just as valuable at residency X as it is in residency Y. Its just a matter of opening your own doors, or going through one that may have been already opened.
 

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
6,526
106
Status
Attending Physician
Monette said:
Pre-meds always say “Oh don’t worry, it doesn’t matter where you go for medical school! It only matters where you do your residency!” I guess I’m wondering how medical students console those that match into their specialty but don’t get a particularly coveted spot. Do they say “Oh don’t worry, you’re still going to be a doctor…” I would imagine that it would be a lot easier matching into a residency somewhere that is top-tier if you attended a school of similar ranking and/or recognition and dare I say it prestige (sorry Law2Doc)? I mean wouldn't the top residency programs favour students coming from their own institutions? And since the top students presumably get into top schools, then wouldn't other highly qualified students who weren’t fortunate enough to get into the top schools be at a disadvantage come residency matching time?

Thoughts, anyone?

Monette
Search these forums for the user BKN, who is a residency program director. Reading his/her posts will give you the real inside scoop. The bottom line is this: what matters is your record and who you are, not the name on your diploma. Every residency program has been burned by someone who came from a big name school and ended up sucking eggs.

Also look at the match list from any school and you will find people matching into competitive specialties at highly selective institutions. I attended about as average a med school as there is (middle of the road public), and my highly ambitious and talented classmates matched in some pretty impressive locales: neurosurgery at UCSF, ENT at Harvard, etc. I had my heart set on a less competitive specialty, but that's another story.

Oh, and for the record, residency matters, but what really matters is fellowship. :smuggrin:

In the end, the benefit of reapplying is difficult to discern, especially with a year of your life on the line. If I were you I'd go to med school now, forget about residency for about 3 years and just focus on learning medicine.

H666, PGY-2
 

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
11,826
56
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student

dantt

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
729
38
Status
Medical Student
braluk said:
Medical schools (i asked this in allo forums), matter in the sense of it connectins to area residencies, or other residencies in which there is an established relationship. Clinical recommendations make a large part of getting you landed into a residency, and much of that has to do with who your faculty recommenders know. Thus it might serve to your purpose if you further investigated what those relationships are at the schools you would like to attend. It would be more beneficial (probably) to have faculty working for you who have strong relationships with a desired certain residency program, then one that is unrelated and has never worked with such a program. Thats not to say, however, that where you go will preclude you from unlinked residency programs, as medicine is many respects, what you make of it yourself. After all, an MD degree from any US. Accredited Medical School is just as valuable at residency X as it is in residency Y. Its just a matter of opening your own doors, or going through one that may have been already opened.
I am sure I will be in the position of deciding which medical school to attend and am thinking about another competitive residency: opthamology. Anybody know how competitive it is say against dermatology? What schools have good relationships with these residency programs or how would I be able to find that out?