So if you don't get in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lindell12a

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...this cycle, I mean, what do you plan on doing? Just a general question :oops:

I've come to terms with the realization that although I have yet to take the DAT, my GPA is not where it should be to gain acceptance into dental school this cycle so while I'm still going to apply, I'm looking into Masters programs.

Just wondering if anyone knows about the General Biology Masters program at NYU and if getting in and improving your GPA would give you a better shot next cycle. I know there are Special Masters Programs, but do you have to do a SMP to get into dental or can you just do regular Biology? I'm wanting to go to school in the NY region...eh, who knows.

Would love thoughts! :)

Members don't see this ad.

...this cycle, I mean, what do you plan on doing? Just a general question :oops:

I've come to terms with the realization that although I have yet to take the DAT, my GPA is not where it should be to gain acceptance into dental school this cycle so while I'm still going to apply, I'm looking into Masters programs.

Just wondering if anyone knows about the General Biology Masters program at NYU and if getting in and improving your GPA would give you a better shot next cycle. I know there are Special Masters Programs, but do you have to do a SMP to get into dental or can you just do regular Biology? I'm wanting to go to school in the NY region...eh, who knows.

Would love thoughts! :)

Have you applied yet? Because if you have a poor GPA and have not taken the DAT yet, I would not bother trying this cycle. I would enter a masters program or just rock the DAT and try next cycle.

I'm taking the DAT in 2 weeks and I AM going to apply...I usually do well on standardized tests, so I might as well give it a shot...

I'm applying to Masters programs though. Anyone know any particular one geared to getting someone into dental school in the NY region?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't get in this year then I am going to get my MBA and reapply.

I didn't get in last year and couldn't find a SMP in my area so I am doing an informal post-bac. I took a class in the summer and I'm only taking one now. It's not much of a course load, but its all I could do in my area and work at the same time

SMP stands for Special Masters Program and it's Masters aimed for pre-med/pre-dents. I just wasn't sure if it was required if you're going to reapply the following year...do schools look down on you if you do a traditional post-bac?

SMP stands for Special Masters Program and it's Masters aimed for pre-med/pre-dents. I just wasn't sure if it was required if you're going to reapply the following year...do schools look down on you if you do a traditional post-bac?

An SMP is not required to reapply. There are no different requirements for someone who is reapplying, you don't have to do anything if you don't want. For me, I got a job as a personal trainer and I am taking upper division undergrad science courses at the local university as I reapply. I think an SMP definitely looks better because it mimics the first year or so of med/dent school and proves to the school that you can handle the difficult curriculum. This didn't seem like a good option for me because it would require me to move across the country and spend 20-30 grand on tuition and it wouldn't even guarantee admission.

I'd probably do a little bit of man-whoring to make some money on the side if I didn't get in this cycle... maybe take some classes and do some more volunteer work.

:D:thumbup: