So I'm a soon-to-be dentist applying to med, and I need some insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroanatomy321

Reaction score
So long story short, as you can see from the title, I'm a soon-to-be dentist graduating from dental school next year.

I realized there's so much more I want to do than just fix teeth when it comes to patient care. I have considered OMFS, but here's another ironic turn of events - I found out I don't really like working with my hands. If I were to go into med, I probably would stay away from surgical routes. Now my question to admissions team here is this: I have already contacted several medical schools regarding my situation, and most of them informed me they would look at my dental education as a "graduate program". If this is the case, how would admissions feel about some kid who just completed a dental program applying to medical school? Would they look at it like any other graduate program, like a Masters or a PhD? Or would they think "wtf is this kid doing?".

My concern is that this might look really flaky because in North America people usually choose one or the other. But at the same time, it's not like I abandoned my program halfway. I actually completed my degree.

Also, as I'm sure this is going to come up, my tuition has been taken care of via scholarships and personal savings, so I am not in any debt. I have worked previous to dental school and have family savings/personal savings and scholarships that paved a way for a debt free education, which would mean the only debt I would really incur is from here on.

Members don't see this ad.

The key will be to show that you have have a passion for medicine, and are not merely running from dentistry. If you demonstrated your passion for medicine in your application and could show through your ECs that you understand what you are getting into, your history would not be an insurmountable obstacle. However, it would certainly be an area ad coms would explore.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
The key will be to show that you have have a passion for medicine, and are not merely running from dentistry. If you demonstrated your passion for medicine in your application and could show through your ECs that you understand what you are getting into, your history would not be an insurmountable obstacle. However, it would certainly be an area ad coms would explore.

I like what you said about running from dentistry - it's one that I thought of for a while. I initially picked dentistry for its lifestyle and thought money and a good schedule would prevail over everything, but when I started to actually learn stuff and go to clinic, my view started to change.

In your opinion, would the dental degree be a red flag? For example, is it kind of how a nursing degree is viewed? I'm not a 100% clear how adcoms see nursing but it seems like a natural transition into medicine as it is somehow relatable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like what you said about running from dentistry - it's one that I thought of for a while. I initially picked dentistry for its lifestyle and thought money and a good schedule would prevail over everything, but when I started to actually learn stuff and go to clinic, my view started to change.

In your opinion, would the dental degree be a red flag? For example, is it kind of how a nursing degree is viewed? I'm not a 100% clear how adcoms see nursing but it seems like a natural transition into medicine as it is somehow relatable.
I'm just a fellow future applicant like you, so please feel free to discount anything I'm about to say that doesn't resonate. To me, the red flag is not your degree per se, but, rather, the fact that you decided to bail while still in school without actually practicing.

Career switchers with good stories are always welcome, but people like you run the risk of coming off as "grass is always greener" types. You put a lot of time, effort and money (either your own or a donor's) into training to be a dentist, and then realized, while training and before entering practice, that it isn't what you thought it was. What's to prevent that from happening again?

That's your red flag. If admissions weren't so damn competitive, sure, schools would be thrilled to take your money and allow whatever is going to happen with you to happen. But, given the intense level of competition for a seat, the limited number of spots, and the chronic physician shortage, why risk wasting a spot on someone who already wasted someone else's time and money, and took a seat away from a would-be dentist? Fool them once, shame on you....

I'm sure it won't be impossible to achieve success, depending on how compelling your application is, but you are starting with a handicap few other candidates have to deal with. Med schools are in a position to be very picky, and there's a chance this would rub some adcoms the wrong way. JMHO.

Given how competitive med school admissions are, what would you do if this doesn't happen for you? How many cycles would you reapply? Would you not return to dentistry? You should probably give that some serious thought before starting down this path. For you, being a dentist is your bird in hand, and there are far worse things you could be doing.

Do you plan on applying during your last year of dental school? If so, are you going to make plans to enter practice while telling med schools you can't see yourself doing that? If not, what will you do with a dental degree and no job if you don't get into med school? Or, do you plan to apply immediately upon graduation? In that case, will you be practicing while applying? If so, at least you'll have a fall back if med school doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Good insight, appreciate it. I'm thinking of applying this upcoming cycle which means I would work for a year or so if admitted. I would work as a general dentist in the meantime. Yeah what you said is actually waht some admins told me so I gotta make up a compelling argument.

Reactions: 1 user
Good insight, appreciate it. I'm thinking of applying this upcoming cycle which means I would work for a year or so if admitted. I would work as a general dentist in the meantime. Yeah what you said is actually waht some admins told me so I gotta make up a compelling argument.
I'm really glad you said that. Working while applying will give you a whole year to either reassess or confirm your decision, will give you many substantive points to make during interviews regarding why you are pursuing this path, and will give you a viable Plan B if this doesn't work out. This makes the whole endeavor a whole lot less risky for you. Good luck!!!

Although nursing, dentistry and medicine are in related fields, being a doctor is different than being a nurse or a dentist. Your dental degree will likely cause schools to probe why you are seeking to become a doctor. As I indicated above, the key will be to show that you have done enough to show that you understand what you are getting into and that you are truly passionate about it (assuming your grades and MCAT are sound).