Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

So I'm guessing I'll need a science course or 2..please help!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Rhys, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Rhys

Rhys Member

Hello everyone, what a wonderfully supportive and inofrmative place--I'm so glad I found it! What did peope do before the internet, anyway?

Well, I'm an English/Creative writing major. I'm finishing up my M.A. this semester, and will start my post-bac science/math requirements next semester to prepare for med school. I've been so encouraged by reading the accounts of so many DOs who started out in something other than science, so I'm determined and know I can do it. Now, my school isn't part of a medical program--though it does have a pre-med option, so I'm very anxious to take the best science/math courses that will help me most with admission and help me do well on the MCAT.

Right now I'm assuming I need Biology 1 and 2, Chem. 1 and 2, Physics 1 and 2, Anatomy/Phys. 1 and 2, an extra Chem--either Organic or Inorganic, I think? --and some sort of math? I haven't had science since high school, so any advice would be MOST appreciated. Any sort of supplemental science courses I should take? And should I get a job in a doctor's office, just for the experience?

Thanks so much for any advice!! (And I'd love to help anyone here anyway I can--I'm a med schol novice, but I'm a crackerjack writer, so if anyone eneds help with those admission essays.. :) ) Thanks!
    --Rhys

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Toran

Toran Senior Member

Check these sites out first:
    This site will give you an idea of the demographics, http://www.medschool.com/futuretense_cs/MedSchool/UniversityProfiles/default_DO.html
    This will help you to know what you are facing in the future, http://www.interviewfeedback.com/
    This will help you to know what to do from now on, http://www.aacom.org/

Then, you will know what classes you need to take, and what are recommended. I strongly suggest that you take anatomy and physiology. If you have time take biochem and histology/embryology.
    You must have worked with a doctor, and some schools require that it is a DO. I suggest working with one for a while, rather than doing a cold call to get a letter. This will also help to reaffirm your interest in medicine, and to motivate you through gen chem.
    Any more questions...
    I would try to get some research in if you can.
    Good luck,
    Toran

4. Rhys

Rhys Member

Thank you, Toran, I'll certainly look into all that excellent advice! :)

5. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member

The AMA also has a medical school book out along with AOA. You can purchase the AMA book at any good bookstore or on-line. The AOA book is free upon request. Inside of these books should give you information about the different medical schools and their requirements. They are extremely helpful.

You can also check up on the various web pages of medical schools you are interested. They should have all the admissions information within.

Stay away from math. I'm pretty sure not a lot of medical schools require Calculus or even pre-calc. Many do require basic GE college algebra, However.

Aloha Kid AZCOM MSI

6. Rhys

Rhys Member

Thank you, Aloha! That's great advice and a huge relief about the no-calculus thing! :)

7. Nurse2Doc

Nurse2Doc Senior Member

If you havn't had chem since high school, I would go the extra distance and take an intro to chem class first, or audit the gen chem class first and then take it for real later. Don't make the mistakes I did~I was younger then and always in a hurry and somehow managed to test into the gen chem class (a complete fluke I am sure), albeit having a very poor high school science foundation. I barely pulled a C in gen chem, but "hey~ I got it done!" was my mindset then. Then when I started to take the prereqs for med school (I got my BS in nursing, taking premed courses as my electives), I struggled, having a poor foundation. Now I have matured and slowed down to take a breath, and retook gen chem as prep for MCAT (even though I passed, and got a B in chem 2). I also was very intimidated at the thought of organic, and I really needed to prove myself in my recent science courses, so I audited the course first (something I HIGHLY recommend!)Actually, I didn't officially audit it-I just sat in the class-the instructor didn't notice, and didn't mind after I told him. Doing it that way saved me the money for the course, but more importantly, it did not show up on my transcripts. I did everything as if I were taking the course for real, did the work, studied for the exams, etc., but it didn't count. I averaged a C the first time (had it counted), and worked pretty hard at it, but I am just not a chemist, and I would not have been competent in the MCAT after the first time. Then I took the course for real, privy to the instructors testing style, notes at hand, with a solid foundation, and it sure felt good the second time understanding everything, not like the first time feeling like I kinda got it but not really-and WAYYYY less stress-the first time, if I failed the test, who cares? And the 2nd time, I was like "hey, I got this!". A "C" would not have killed me, but the "A" is much prettier, and I was very confident in the MCAT organic section. In fact, I considered the time it took me to audit the class first as MCAT prep time, and barely had to spend anytime at all actually prepping the organic section. The moral of the story? Do it right the first time, b/c that chit will come back to haunt you. Even if you pull the grade, make sure you understand it~you WILL need it later. I only wish I had figured all this out when I was young and cocky and in a hurry~then it was all about pulling the grade and getting it done. I would be in my 4th year by now rather than just applying.