so im home for break, and going to the hospital tomorrow

Nov 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
to try to get in some volunteer hours over the month im home. ive never done that before though, so like,

do i just go up there and be like, i can haz work? tia

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I guess you COULD do that, but all the volunteering I've ever done required a bunch of orientation classes and bureaucratic crap before they'd let you get rolling. In other words, I doubt you can do any hospital stuff during this holiday. If you want to go sign up for Harvesters or something, though, I'm sure they'd let you start up immediately.

OP
TheWhiteFlame
Nov 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I guess you COULD do that, but all the volunteering I've ever done required a bunch of orientation classes and bureaucratic crap before they'd let you get rolling. In other words, I doubt you can do any hospital stuff during this holiday. If you want to go sign up for Harvesters or something, though, I'm sure they'd let you start up immediately.
damn really? thats gay.

how are the "hours" documented? jw

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
One place had us scan our ID badges. None of the other hospitals bothered to keep track.

damn really? thats gay.
It's true that identification verification is, in fact, homosexual. It came out of the closet last month. I never saw it coming!

Last edited:

OrangeandMaroon

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2010
I tried just showing up once... not the way to go. Contact the volunteer coordinator.

In my experience hours were documented by the coordinator with a computer punch-in/out system. Then again it was a large health system with a well developed volunteer program. At smaller hospitals it will likely be different.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
I had to fill out an application, get a TB skin test, do a short training on fire safety/patient confidentiality/something else, and get an ID badge before I could start. Hours were hand written on a sign in/sign out sheet.

wanderer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The two hospitals I volunteered for had a ~3 week and 6-7 week gap from first contact to first day volunteering. If the hospital you want is either very organized or will take anyone and you already have all necessary tests completed then I guess it is possible to start within a week or so. It's worth the effort if this is the best time for you.

solo75

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Not worth the hassle. Just make friends with a doc and get in however many surgeries you want.

BF2BC EMT

5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2010
?
Status
Medical Student
I had a fast turn around time, once I sent an app in, it maybe took a week. The only reason that happened was because I worked at the hospital and they had all my stuff on record, I had an employee orientation, ID badge etc.