So I'm home for the summer and wanted to do some volunteering....

ejay286

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
...and my local hospital requires 6 freakin months of volunteering minimum. :confused:

nonesuchgirl

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status
"Commitment."

Look for a summer program.

armybound

urologist.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Uranus
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yeah, they don't really like people coming & going quickly. they have to train you and what not

you might also want to talk to them about if there's just an hourly commitment. when I started volunteering here they told us a minimum of 2 hours/week for 6 months... or 48 hours. they might let you do that, and you can convince them that you can meet their minimum hourly requirement over the summer

Bibbed

Just call it.
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2007
You need to call it. I can't call it for you. It w
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't recommend this but... you can always sign up saying you will do 6 months, but don't. Hey every situation is different, I'm just putting it out there.
I agree with this. You need to get the experience. If hospitals don't want you to commit for 6 months but then leave after 3, they should complain to AdComs about putting so much emphasis on ECs (specifically clinical experience). It's kind of a ****ty thing to do, but what other options do you have?

fireflygirl

The Ultimate Blindian
10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What about volunterering in a doc's office? Do you know anyone that you could to that in? I know my dad gets kids every summer in his practice and it's half shadowing but also some volunteer work like basic lab duties, taking patients back, and filing.

Is there anyone who might be able to help you set up soemthing like that?