SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

So I'm home for the summer and wanted to do some volunteering....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ejay286, May 8, 2008.

1. ejay286

ejay286 Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2005
    ...and my local hospital requires 6 freakin months of volunteering minimum. :confused:
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. nonesuchgirl

Nov 10, 2007

Look for a summer program.
  4. armybound

armybound future urologist. Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2007
    yeah, they don't really like people coming & going quickly. they have to train you and what not

you might also want to talk to them about if there's just an hourly commitment. when I started volunteering here they told us a minimum of 2 hours/week for 6 months... or 48 hours. they might let you do that, and you can convince them that you can meet their minimum hourly requirement over the summer
  5. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie 5+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2007
    College Station, TX
    Try a local clinic instead of a hospital, or some kind of charity clinic in the area.
  6. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality 2+ Year Member

Mar 13, 2008
    La Jolla
    I don't recommend this but... you can always sign up saying you will do 6 months, but don't. Hey every situation is different, I'm just putting it out there.
  7. Bibbed

Bibbed Just call it. 2+ Year Member

I agree with this. You need to get the experience. If hospitals don't want you to commit for 6 months but then leave after 3, they should complain to AdComs about putting so much emphasis on ECs (specifically clinical experience). It's kind of a ****ty thing to do, but what other options do you have?
  8. fireflygirl

fireflygirl The Ultimate Blindian 7+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2007
    What about volunterering in a doc's office? Do you know anyone that you could to that in? I know my dad gets kids every summer in his practice and it's half shadowing but also some volunteer work like basic lab duties, taking patients back, and filing.

Is there anyone who might be able to help you set up soemthing like that?