So I'm pretty much over it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisguy66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I told myself a long time ago (back when I was a freshman) that being a doctor wasn't for me. Regardless, I graduated finished up Pre-Med and decided that I would go PA-C because it would be less of a headache. In the end, I don't want to pursue this anymore. I don't want to be the assistant when I feel like I could do so much more. I looked into Dentistry, but honestly I feel like I would be so bored…especially spending my whole life doing that. PA was very appealing because you could change specialities (without residency), but being midlevel is honestly not something I wanna be. I want to be the expert but I don't know if I have the inellectual capacity to fulfill that role (even though I want to be). I've been out of school since december 2013 and I have been working as a tech in the ER and cardiac since then. I want to be a Doctor and I definitely know this now after gaining more experience. Anyone in the same shoes can give some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
that's awesome! i say go for it. Don't settle for PA-C or a dentist unless you can honestly see yourself doing it the rest of your life and not being miserable

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that PAs are as much assistants to the physician as they are a part of health care team. Many also work autonomously.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
that's awesome! i say go for it. Don't settle for PA-C or a dentist unless you can honestly see yourself doing it the rest of your life and not being miserable

Thanks. My parents are over it and think I'm nuts since I haven't made up my mind yet. They think the "summa cum laude 3.96 graduate should have his **** together by now". It's really frustrating.

An expert in WHAT? What do you find satisfaction in? Then do that.

By the way, dental hygiene is boring...
You're underestimating how challenging dentistry can be (SO many procedures and situations).
Most general dentists refer out complex cases because they lack the knowledge or interest in doing them.

Last edited:
Thanks. My parents are over it and think I'm nuts since I haven't made up my mind yet. They think the "summa cum laude 3.96 graduate should have his **** together by now". It's really frustrating.

With a 3.96 GPA, you still doubt your intellectual capacity? Start studying for the MCAT already! Take it in the winter to allow for a retake if necessary, then proceed from there. For what it's worth, vacillating between PA and MD is not exactly a huge flip-flop. They're valid questions that should be answered carefully. Sounds like you've got your answer now, so start pedaling!

Reactions: 3 users
I know this feel. I struggled for two years with the decision myself and ultimately chose the physician route because I wanted the autonomy and knowledge.

And you don't need to be a genius to be a doctor. Your GPA is proof enough that you can put in some hard work, and your MCAT will be a decent indicator of your ability to retain and manipulate complex subject matter. Focus on getting in and let the adcoms decide if you've got what it takes.

Reactions: 2 users
Why would think Dentistry to be any more boring than any other Medical Specialty? I don't think you realize the scope of the procedures that GP Dentists can do.

With a 3.96 GPA, you still doubt your intellectual capacity? Start studying for the MCAT already! Take it in the winter to allow for a retake if necessary, then proceed from there. For what it's worth, vacillating between PA and MD is not exactly a huge flip-flop. They're valid questions that should be answered carefully. Sounds like you've got your answer now, so start pedaling!

Im so scared to take the MCAt. My ex-gf who got me involved in this field in the first place tanked it. Her parents are really intense (indian vs hispanic) they didn't want her with me bc i was hispanic despite everything we have been through together since 8th grade. I feel like we are on equal capacity of smarts. We both went to the same school (best in the state). I got heavily involved in research. Wrote my thesis and thought that research was my path. Nope. I love working with patients, not a microscope. My memory is recognition not recall so idk how id fare in med school. Summa only means so much. My school is a public ivy but still....

Last edited:
Im so scared to take the MCAt. My ex-gf who got me involved in this field in the first place tanked it. Her parents are really intense (indian vs hispanic) they didn't want her with me bc i was hispanic despite everything we have been through together since 8th grade. I feel like we are on equal capacity of smarts. We both went to the same school (best in the state). I got heavily involved in research. Wrote my thesis and thought that research was my path. Nope. I love working with patients, not a microscope. My memory is recognition not recall so idk how id fare in med school. Summa only means so much. My school is a public ivy but still....
What schools do people mean when they call them "public ivies"? My understanding is that "ivy league" is private by definition...

First sentence of the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League

You are not your ex-girlfriend. You are you. For what it's worth, I struggle with recall as well and I did just fine on the MCAT. There is a lot more to medical education that just memorization. If you want to be a physician, go for it. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt are only going to hold you back.

And SDN is the first replace I've ever seen the reference to public ivy. It's weird, because I actually went to one of the original public ivies according to Wikipedia and no one at my school ever mentioned it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This term "public ivy" seems to be popular these days...

That's some top notch humble bragging you've got there OP.

Public ivy is the funniest term I've ever heard. Almost as funny at the whole non-HYP/HYPS/HYPSM whatever other incarnations there are of that thing.

You went to a Big Ten school. Maybe one of the Pac 12/ACC schools that are pretty strong. Get over it.

This term "public ivy" seems to be popular these days...

Public ivy is the funniest term I've ever heard. Almost as funny at the whole non-HYP/HYPS/HYPSM whatever other incarnations there are of that thing.

You went to a Big Ten school. Maybe one of the Pac 12/ACC schools that are pretty strong. Get over it.

Ehhh... I've heard people use it. I think it depends much more on who you are talking to than when the conversation was held (i.e., some people use it, but the term isn't becoming more popular over time or something). Could be wrong, here, and it is an annoying term, but I wouldn't put stock in suggestions that the term has increased in popularity.

If you're Hispanic, you'll also get a bit of URM 'slack' on the MCAT score, so don't angst too much. Just prepare thoroughly and give it your best shot. You've got everything else going for you --

OP you just sound like you're afraid to take the MCAT. You won't really know until you try.

OP you just sound like you're afraid to take the MCAT. You won't really know until you try.

Sorry if I came off in a narcissistic fashion. Not my intention. No one calls those universities public ivies and I just wanted to just give a hint as to where I took my courses. Just that it was pretty rigorous environment filled with a lot of gunners. Regardless, I didn't have a passion for medicine until I started working in the hospital since I graduated. I work around great physicians and have had opportunities to shadow really excellent doctors and PAs. However, I didn't think I had what it took to succeed on the MCATs because I've always been the type of person to not be the brightest/best test taker (standardized) but rather more hardworking. I'm pretty horrible at recall memory but my recognition memory is excellent. I just figured if you didn't have that then Med School is out of my league. I excelled in classes where it was more critical thinking/problem solving (organic, physics, general chem, calculus) than memorizing (patho, biochem, micro). Those courses took a lot more work to earn As. I do really enjoy research and after writing my thesis I was looking into maybe get a Ph D in biomedical sciences but I don't see myself doing that anymore after this experience of getting to work with patients.