So is applying to Touro College really a thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acesofseven

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to sound ignorant or anything, but are people actually applying to Touro? From what I've heard and seen in pictures, it seems pretty sketch.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to sound ignorant or anything, but are people actually applying to Touro? From what I've heard and seen in pictures, it seems pretty sketch.
Besides the old IBM building, what pictures of TUCDM could you have possibly seen? And what specifically about the dental school's curriculum, preparation, facilities, and faculty have you "heard" that's so SKETCH.
Yes, people are ACTUALLY applying there. Yes, it's ACTUALLY A THING.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No it doesn't exist

Reactions: 9 users
Im sure the accreditation committee knows better than you how well put together Touro is.

Reactions: 8 users
I applied only as a last case scenario. If i have any other choices, i would pick them before i touch touro.

I think they should change their name tho. Touro just sound so cheap. They should change it to something more exciting, touro is too plain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying there. With my GPA i'd be glad to get in anywhere. No URM or anything propelling me (got fairly avg ECs too) so I gotta hope for the best.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure if applying to Touro is "a thing" like food trucks or "Netflix and chill", but I'm sure a lot of people are applying there with serious intentions.

And yes, I have to agree with schmoob on this one.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe people are just hesitant because it's new and doesn't have much of a reputation yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone elaborate on why Tuoro seems to be a terrible school?
Mainly because it's new and the latest in a string of arguably unnecessary private dental schools that are only going to further saturate the field. I don't doubt that the program will be perfectly fine, with the exception of some slight hiccups as they go through their growing pains, so to speak. That said, we don't need another expensive private school out there. People will be sure to point out that there is a great need for dentists in areas with little access to care, and this is true, but unless you point to the clause in Touro's admission packets that says their graduates need to serve in those areas, the opening of this pay to play school does nothing to fix that problem. Since most new grads tend to go to areas where they aren't really needed, I don't see Touro being the exception to the rule. While I won't go out of my way to bash people applying to Touro like some others have done on other threads about the school, I also won't go out of my way to defend its existence.

Reactions: 4 users
Mainly because it's new and the latest in a string of arguably unnecessary private dental schools that are only going to further saturate the field. I don't doubt that the program will be perfectly fine, with the exception of some slight hiccups as they go through their growing pains, so to speak. That said, we don't need another expensive private school out there. People will be sure to point out that there is a great need for dentists in areas with little access to care, and this is true, but unless you point to the clause in Touro's admission packets that says their graduates need to serve in those areas, the opening of this pay to play school does nothing to fix that problem. Since most new grads tend to go to areas where they aren't really needed, I don't see Touro being the exception to the rule. While I won't go out of my way to bash people applying to Touro like some others have done on other threads about the school, I also won't go out of my way to defend its existence.
Good reasoning and very mature answer

You do understand there are well over 5,000 people who aren't URMs that successfully matriculate to dental school each year right?
Didn't necessarily mean it that way. I guess I'm just saying my stats are nothing special and I haven't done anything extraordinary so I'll take anything I can get lol.

I think they should change their name tho. Touro just sound so cheap. They should change it to something more exciting, touro is too plain.

Touro was named after Issac & Judah Touro by founder, Dr. Bernard Lander.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Sounds like someone is gaming others into not applying in a dumb attempt to reduce competition. Every year you see people bashing xyz then sometimes you catch them later all excited when they match. Maybe not, it could just be someone asking a question out of sheer ignorance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Most likely the latter.

I see the psychological side of this.... I wonder if it actually makes a statistically significant difference of improving one's chance of getting an acceptance at "xyz" by potentially convincing, say, 10 applicants out of 2000 prospective applicants to not apply. Any stats majors in the house?

Statistically not much as the # of applicants on SDN who are applying to a certain school and that would read such a post and also be swayed by it (probably more like <1 vs 10) is very limited in comparison to the total applicant pool. The # of applicants these days is closer to probably 4000 than 2000, also those who would be discouraged are more likely not top performers so not much competition, BUT that doesn't stop people from doing such things. I've even seen it during interviews or on school specific threads.

Why is their supplemental fee $100... :panda:
Last year it was free!

What do you call a Touro dental grad?
Doctor.

To be fair, NY requires a 1 year mandatory residency for licensure and without an established reputation and guarantee of accreditation, I can see why the OP said what he said. I think NY has enough dental schools. They really didn't need another one.

Statistically not much as the # of applicants on SDN who are applying to a certain school and that would read such a post and also be swayed by it (probably more like <1 vs 10) is very limited in comparison to the total applicant pool. The # of applicants these days is closer to probably 4000 than 2000, also those who would be discouraged are more likely not top performers so not much competition, BUT that doesn't stop people from doing such things. I've even seen it during interviews or on school specific threads.

I had to re-read what you wrote a few times. Did you mean those who are discouraged to apply there are likely top performers? I just don't see a 23AA with a 4.0 GPA from Harvard applying to Touro. Not trying to sound rude, but it's the truth.

I had to re-read what you wrote a few times. Did you mean those who are discouraged to apply there are likely top performers? I just don't see a 23AA with a 4.0 GPA from Harvard applying to Touro. Not trying to sound rude, but it's the truth.

Was talking about top performers in relationship to Touro applicants not overall applicants.

That is the person's name who founded the school. Touro College bought out New York Medical College so they definitely have a lot of money

Touro's avg gpa for the entering class last year was around 3.4 and dat in the 20s. They were just trying to establish their first class last year, but I'd say those stats are still pretty competitive and similar to those of other schools. Plenty of people at my interview this year had very high gpas and dat scores and were intent on attending the school. It has everything NYU has to offer plus more (at least in my opinion). Short train ride into the city. Cheaper tuition. Cheaper cost of living. Smaller class size. A distinguished faculty. NY Med also has an incredible reputation. Sure it's a new dental school, but the people leading it know what they're doing. If you ever have the luxury of speaking with those people, you'll understand that :)