So is EMT/CNA employment actually a big deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zembaphobia

Kamen Rider
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All the advisers at my university push students into not only getting certified but also working as one of the above. When we go through HSRC, they expect us to have done one of the following and count it against us if we don't. I did get CNA certification over my last winter break and then worked in a rehab hospital for 1.5 months before quitting and vowing to never go back. Is it really that big of a deal to do one or the other, and would that 1.5 months of experience even count as significant? My friend is an EMT and works 13 hour shifts while being a full time student, and I just feel like it doesn't seem worth it. I'm currently a ED medical scribe and have gotten a lot more meaningful experience than when I was a CNA.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless one is an actual paramedic, many Adcom members consider EMT as being a glorified taxi driver.

All the advisers at my university push students into not only getting certified but also working as one of the above. When we go through HSRC, they expect us to have done one of the following and count it against us if we don't. I did get CNA certification over my last winter break and then worked in a rehab hospital for 1.5 months before quitting and vowing to never go back. Is it really that big of a deal to do one or the other, and would that 1.5 months of experience even count as significant? My friend is an EMT and works 13 hour shifts while being a full time student, and I just feel like it doesn't seem worth it. I'm currently a ED medical scribe and have gotten a lot more meaningful experience than when I was a CNA.

Reactions: 2 users
Based off what Goro and others in the know have said in the past, it might be to your benefit keeping up the Scribe work over being an EMT. And yes, although its irrelevant since you quit and are never going back, CNA work and working in that environment seems to be a thing ADCOMs have said they often look favorably upon.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless one is an actual paramedic, many Adcom members consider EMT as being a glorified taxi driver.

Guess I'm gonna have to bring a party of 500 people (patients) to my interviews so they can tell them they are wrong.

Reactions: 3 users

I worked as an EMT with variance and did a LOT more than that for 4 years. It does depend on where you work, but to generalize like that is pretty terrible.

OP, if you get a chance, go for it. You get exposed to medicine and the general hierarchy of care that starts with pre-hospital. You will also get valuable clinical skills by being exposed to patients. If you're currently working as a scribe though, you might just want to stick with that (scribing is not a bad gig).

No, it's not. It's very common and won't set you apart.

It's a large commitment that can take away from study time, causing your grades and MCAT to fall. ECs will not make up for that. I know people who got too involved with ECs, both paid and unpaid, and ultimately paid the ultimate price of never being able to get into medical school in the first place! If you feel like you're going to miss out on amazing life experiences as an EMT, don't worry... You'll have the rest of your life to experience these things as a physician!

Your best bet is to do clinical volunteering. Minimal commitment, and it does the job, no pun intended.

Reactions: 1 users
Eh. Goro isn't wrong. He's just calling it how it is.

I know nobody every disagrees with Goro :) that's fine, but my particular experience was extremely valuable. I also am not saying people call us taxi drivers, because that's definitely true. It's just people fail to see the value of being an EMT. I was in the classroom all the time learning how to run codes, utilize intubation equipment, helping conduct case reports, etc. We sat down every month with the medics and went through all the medications in our bags. I learned a lot more than how to be a "glorified taxi driver." But if you haven't done it, I suppose it's easy to generalize. Carry on.

Reactions: 4 users
I know nobody every disagrees with Goro :) that's fine, but my particular experience was extremely valuable. I also am not saying people call us taxi drivers, because that's definitely true. It's just people fail to see the value of being an EMT. I was in the classroom all the time learning how to run codes, utilize intubation equipment, helping conduct case reports, etc. We sat down every month with the medics and went through all the medications in our bags. I learned a lot more than how to be a "glorified taxi driver." But if you haven't done it, I suppose it's easy to generalize. Carry on.

I suppose my username isn't a bell-ringer. :rolleyes:

Anyway. I'm not saying EMT experience isn't valuable. I am saying that EMTs are glorified taxi drivers.

O2 and transport, fellas.

But did you actually do any of that on patients?

I'm not making the news, I'm just reporting it.

Reactions: 4 users
reality doesnt necessarily = perception.

You are arguing something different than what Goro is asserting.

When people call us taxi drivers, nobody bats an eye, but when a nurse uses a stethoscope and it gets coined as a doctors tool, people go crazy. I'm not saying anything against you Goro, but this topic just hits near and dear to my heart.

I have done quite a few IVs which is pretty nice, among learning to spike bags, hang drips, run an IV pump, how to help run a code, etc. I was also varianced so I could utilize a King Airway if I needed to (although, medics usually did, but I could if I had to). Maybe my situation is unique (I was an EMT in a smaller town, I know city EMTs probably don't do much), but not ALL EMTs are taxi drivers :). It's all about experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

But I have done mouth-to-mouth on your mum.

LOL I'm just playing with you Goro, much love, sir.

This is the type of thing my dear thesis adviser said to do when writing up one's CV toot your own horn". Meaning, play this up...this is important and will make you stand out from the honest-to-gawd taxi drivers and body shuttlers!

I have done quite a few IVs which is pretty nice, among learning to spike bags, hang drips, run an IV pump, how to help run a code, etc. I was also varianced so I could utilize a King Airway if I needed to (although, medics usually did, but I could if I had to). Maybe my situation is unique (I was an EMT in a smaller town, I know city EMTs probably don't do much), but not ALL EMTs are taxi drivers :). It's all about experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

What level were you? In my state, some of what you did were very much outside the scope of practice of both basic and advanced EMTs, but were allowed at the paramedic level.

I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous. As when I was working on getting my basic, I had to do my mandatory patient contacts in a very rural area. Of our four patients, two were transports and one of those was a taxi ride.

What level were you? In my state, some of what you did were very much outside the scope of practice of both basic and advanced EMTs, but were allowed at the paramedic level.

I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous. As when I was working on getting my basic, I had to do my mandatory patient contacts in a very rural area. Of our four patients, two were transports and one of those was a taxi ride.

I was a basic, but I was "varianced." Under our protocol, we could get additional training that would allow us to expand our scope of practice. I suppose that's what happens when you're the only ALS agency for many miles. That probably doesn't fly with city EMTs.

I was a basic, but I was "varianced." Under our protocol, we could get additional training that would allow us to expand our scope of practice. I suppose that's what happens when you're the only ALS agency for many miles. That probably doesn't fly with city EMTs.
Sounds like an awesome experience. As basic's, in my agency we can drop king tubes. The whole taxi thing doesn't bother me much because we are use to being called ambulance drivers. I guess being there for emotional support to patients, working bad car wrecks, delivering babies, doing CPR, helping old ladies off from the floor (which they are always super thankful), and much more is considered lame. To each their own, we know what experiences we have gone through and we can always bring up stories that have affected us in positive way that made us want to to go into medicine. One of mines is to get revenge on some d**khead medics lol (who's the doctor now?). 1hunnid!

Last edited:
Don't do it unless you want to. Hospital volunteering accomplishes the job

What EMTs do varies. Is it not true that some transports are from home to dialysis center or from nursing home to rad-onc office? I've never seen an adcom impressed by a medical school applicant's ability to perform procedures of any kind although I have seen some (mostly docs who care for the elderly) be impressed with applicants who have served as nursing assistants as it is well known as dirty, thankless work with an often difficult population. Thinking about it now, it seems that in contrast EMTs don't get much respect by adcoms. It seems that many are there to provide first aid (no transport) at university sporting events and other events with large groups of people. Of course, there are also those who get EMT training and never use it. Why bother?

The point is knowing what being a physician is about and still wanting medicine as a career. One need not be an EMT or CNA to accomplish that task.

To be fair the experience you get as an EMT is as much related to where you work as it is to your level.

As an example you could be a paramedic for 4 years in a sleepy quiet suburb and hardly ever run codes/intubate/give meds while going your entire career without seeing a GSW/stabbing/burn/drowning/etc...

Also, I wouldn't call EMT-Is (AEMTs) glorified taxi drivers. That's more for basics, especially if they work for a private transport company.

How on earth does everyone get these experiences?

My nearest Red Cross chapter that offers CNA certs is 3 hours away, one way. Do you all do the BLS class and take the test to be an EMT or something?

I'm looking for work and ideally I want to do something relevant to what I want to do, but I'm not choosy at this point.

To be fair the experience you get as an EMT is as much related to where you work as it is to your level.

As an example you could be a paramedic for 4 years in a sleepy quiet suburb and hardly ever run codes/intubate/give meds while going your entire career without seeing a GSW/stabbing/burn/drowning/etc...

Also, I wouldn't call EMT-Is (AEMTs) glorified taxi drivers. That's more for basics, especially if they work for a private transport company.

I think the assumption is that a very small amount of pre-meds will actually get their I.

How long are typical shifts and how many do pre-meds typically do per week?
not sure if you're asking about EMT or CNA, but i'm a CNA in a nursing home and shifts are 8 hours. i work every other saturday and sunday but they always need more people so i can pick up extra shifts whenever i have time

How on earth does everyone get these experiences?

My nearest Red Cross chapter that offers CNA certs is 3 hours away, one way. Do you all do the BLS class and take the test to be an EMT or something?

I'm looking for work and ideally I want to do something relevant to what I want to do, but I'm not choosy at this point.

For EMT basic, you take a class and get about 150 hours of training or so not including mandatory ride-alongs. Then you do a practical hands on skill test. Then you a computer exam. Once you pass, you fill out some paperwork and get a medical license.

I rarely see anything but EMT-B.

In your experience, do other adcoms recognize the difference between EMT-B and Paramedics?

I'm a paramedic just trying to get a feel for perhaps how my ECs will be perceived.

How long are typical shifts and how many do pre-meds typically do per week?

Depends on the service. I worked for a agency where we worked 24's, 16s, 14s, 12s, 8s, and God forbid, 168 hour shifts. You worked 7 days straight on 24s. The ambulance is your personal car for the week, and your partner has a sprint vehicle (suv). If you get a call, you two meet up along the way and do the transport. This was obviously a very low volume service, and you couldn't leave the county that whole week.

In your experience, do other adcoms recognize the difference between EMT-B and Paramedics?

I'm a paramedic just trying to get a feel for perhaps how my ECs will be perceived.
obviously, there is a big difference in training and this may be reflected in your transcripts (if you received college credits for your training). Also, you are likely to have paid employment as a Paramedic which is the exception to the rule for EMT-Bs; most of them have not worked or have only been volunteers.