So, it doesn't look like I'll be taking vertebrate physiology or cell bio...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it doesn't look like I'm going to have enough time to take vertebrate physiology or cell biology. These two classes aren't required for graduation/my major and my schedule is already packed for Fall and Spring, so I wouldn't be able to take them. So, I was wondering, if I'm going to be at a great disadvantage for not taking these classes, as far as the MCAT and medical school preparation for coursework/applications are concerned? Thank you all for your time and your advice/comments will be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

if you took your 1 year of biology already, you'll be fine for MCAT and med school. Honestly, I forgot almost everything I learned from my premed classes and had to relearn it from MCAT prep books anyway.

Last edited:
So, it doesn't look like I'm going to have enough time to take vertebrate physiology or cell biology. These two classes aren't required for graduation/my major and my schedule is already packed for Fall and Spring, so I wouldn't be able to take them. So, I was wondering, if I'm going to be at a great disadvantage for not taking these classes, as far as the MCAT and medical school preparation for coursework/applications are concerned? Thank you all for your time and your advice/comments will be greatly appreciated! :)

I took these two classes and I thought that they gave me a decent advantage for the MCAT, but I ended up scoring average anyway. Just study hard for the MCAT and do some solid content review and a lot of practice problems. I think that's more important than any class beyond the basics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both physiology and cell bio are regarded as the toughest bio classes (along with biochem I believe they make the top 3, at least in my school). I took both of them and they didn't help my MCAT nor my GPA at all ;)

You honestly don't need anything more than the 1 year intro bio for the MCAT. Didn't hurt me none that I didn't take any upper division bio. Only class that might have raised my score is biochem. Most schools only require the 1 year of intro bio, some add on biochem, a select few require a few more classes.

Last edited:
I thought taking physiology and anatomy helped make my MCAT studying more efficient and helped me reason through some of the scarier passages and discretes. I used EK if that helps.

Vertebrate physio? Cell bio? Sorry, I don't take that bio major junk...

Honestly, it's not going to help you. The only classes I found helpful for the MCAT were human physio, biochem, and genetics, and even those were only useful for a question or two each.