so many fears... is it just me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
dental school starts in about two weeks. I am scared s**tless.

* I will have to change my lifestyle drastically. I am not used to waking up early in the morning, studying all day, and having pretty much no weekends.
* What if I come to realize that dentistry isn't really what I want? What the hell am I gonna do?
* Now I am actually a grown-up and have to behave like one. Now there's a very little margin of error whatever I do.
* I've been told people tend to feel lonely as f.

I hope I get to overcome these fears ASAP...

Members don't see this ad.

Dude. Grow up. You should have thought about these things prior to applying to dental school.

Its normal to have some anxiety, but to have strait up fear and to be worried about needing wake up early? :confused: Give me a break!

P.S. - There is a guy down the street that would love to take your spot...

* I will have to change my lifestyle drastically. I am not used to waking up early in the morning, studying all day, and having pretty much no weekends.
* What if I come to realize that dentistry isn't really what I want? What the hell am I gonna do?
* Now I am actually a grown-up and have to behave like one. Now there's a very little margin of error whatever I do.

seems like anxiety rather than fear.

don't worry im sure you'll be fine.

there's much worse things in life than starting dental school :laugh:

it's always important to be grateful for the things you have (ie acceptance into dental school)

think of it this way. in a couple of weeks, you'll be studying something that's applicable to your future career + you'll meet many friends :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I hope you should be able to make it up and to class by 8. First few weeks may take some adjusting. You will get into the swing of things really quick. The adcoms hoped dentistry is what you wanted to do, hence shadowing, etc.

Long study hours does become lonely. You need to make friends in your class. They will help you get through the gauntlet.

I think it's normal to be apprehensive before you start something new. I went through a lot of anxiety too, and I think if you just realize that everyone is in the same boat, it will help.

Use the resources you have available to you, take it one thing at a time, work hard from day one, and you will be just fine :)

Hey I know how you feel buddy, I start school in two weeks also. And i am scared too, I have been out of school for 2 years now. But i have been told by almost everyone that its normal to feel scared and nervous. you will be fine.

But theres a lot you can do in two weeks. First start training yourself setting your alarm for 7 or 8 in the morning and going to bed before midnight. And if you really want a heads up call a local dental lab and ask if you can be taught some things before school. its amazing how much i learned at the dental lab i am at in two weeks( basic stuff, pouring models, trimming and mounting models, crown wax ups). I feel a lot more confident, but still nerous/scared but excited too! hang in there guy theres a lot of us in the same boat.

Just stop and read over what you've written.

There aren't very many people "used to waking up early, studying all day, and having pretty much no weekends". In fact, I'm willing to bet that 98% of your class isn't "used to" that lifestyle, especially after Summer. You get used to it, the same way you moved from elementary school to middle school to high school to college.

If dentistry isn't what you want, you're going to have to suck it up and deal with a job that isn't your dream job while you pay off your debt. But this is kind of what the majority of the country deals with - only you'll be making roughly 100k gross in a job you hate, instead of the median of 30k in a job you hate. At least you'll have the money and time to enjoy yourself while thinking about how much you hate your work.

The grown-up thing is something (almost) everybody has to deal with at some point. I'm terrified of this myself, but to be honest, school for another four years is far less "grown up" than getting a job and fending for yourself in the real world, debt or not.

I'm a third year and I didn't change my lifestyle drastically...sure, I had to study more and put in extra time in lab but I still get to go out, have fun, relax after a long day with a cold beverage or two, work out, etc. Also, I'm not lonely...make friends and you'll be fine.

This

and this.

it's always important to be grateful for the things you have (ie acceptance into dental school)

Everyone is in the same boat, Bro. Believe me, you want this; and don't forget how much work you put into getting this far.

I'm 24, and this is the first time i will be moving out of my house. Leaving the family, new state, girlfriend n I broke up, and still working in corporate world (with only two weeks left till school). My life sucks right now, I'm actually losing sleep. In the end of the day, yes, I'm worried about this new life, but at the same time i'm so happy, grateful, and anxious to get started.

If all else fails, try grey goose. That will cheer you up real quick. :laugh:

gluck

Here's something to consider. If you have the intelligence, intellectual curiosity, people skills, motivation, and commitment to apply and be accepted to dental school, then you almost certainly will be happiest in a career that engages and challenges all of your talents. And any career that won't bore you after a few years will undoubtedly have its share of crap work, misery, and stress.

I don't work any harder than my friends who are climbing the corporate ladder, or working on their doctorates, or becoming effective teachers. I'm glad that most of my friends have chosen career paths that they believe are worth the investment of time and energy. I certainly believe that of my career path -- even when school has made me tired, stressed, anxious, and downright miserable.

You will find a way to get through it. As others have pointed out, everyone in your class will be in the same boat.

Take care.

Dude. Grow up. You should have thought about these things prior to applying to dental school.

Its normal to have some anxiety, but to have strait up fear and to be worried about needing wake up early? :confused: Give me a break!

You sir are a complete douche, what help was this? at all...:sleep:

You sir are a complete douche, what help was this? at all...:sleep:

a-InternetToughGuy1.jpg

PMB, is that before or after you beat anorexia? I see a lot of similarities between the two photos.

PMB, is that before or after you beat anorexia? I see a lot of similarities between the two photos.

Good catch. That was me in my younger years when my moobs were slightly smaller:thumbup: Now there is just more man to love... Sorry ladies, please no private messages, I'm taken :D

hey, op, i'm a d-1 too. Almost done w/ three weeks in and my best advice is to make friends. all of my peers understand the expectations put onto us, and we've been doing group studies and helping each other out in many ways. i hope the same happens for you. also, don't slack off with your readings because they will pile up fast!

-beeho