So Many Majors . . . So Little Time . . .

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by bhoover, May 31, 2000.

1. bhoover

bhoover Member

I'm currently considering Biology, Biochemistry, and Neuroscience. Any suggestions as to which major would better prepare me for the MCATs and Med School?

Also, does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what "Non-Major" classes best compliment a Pre-Med Application? As of right now I'm planning to do a double major in 2 of the 3 majors that I've mentioned above. Depending on the work load I may even consider a French minor.

I'm all ears here people! [​IMG]

------------------
    **To Know is to Understand**

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

One question. Why would you kill yourself like that?

4. bhoover

bhoover Member

I'm not sure exactly what you meant by "kill yourself like that" meant.

Remember: "Things in life are only as hard as you make them." [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by bhoover (edited 06-02-2000).]

5. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

I'm referring to your workload. In anycase, are you interested in double majoring with a possible minor because you love the subject matter or are you just trying to impress the admisssions committees? If it's the prior, then more power to you. If it's the later, I think your barking up the wrong tree. A single biology major is more then adequate.

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 06-02-2000).]

6. bhoover

bhoover Member

Trust me it's the "prior". Ok then tell me this. Other than what's known as "common knowledge", what are the major differences b/t Bio. and BioChem.(majors of course)?

------------------

7. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Not to much, really. Basically were talking about taking a few more high level chem courses that you wouldn't normally take for the solo bio major. Vice versa you wouldn't be taking as many of the high level bio classes. It's just like taking perhaps 75% of each major by itself and combining them into one degree. Some BC major might get bent out of shape about this explanation, but this is the case at my school (more or less). You'll also take a few BioChem classes to bridge the gap. If your ultimate goal is to take the best majors to prepare for med school then this is my advice.

Pick the one major that interests you the most. Every undergrad is a little different, but I assume all three will cover the basic med school entrance requirements. From there I'd start taking mirco, immunology, biochem, physiology, genetics, anatomy etc... That will prepare you for actual med school classes. Extra classes like this form the very core of the bio major. So that's why most pre-meds just go Bio to cover the most bases. Since you'll be taking other courses to full fill the requirements for the other two majors you may find that you don't have the time to take as many of these rather helpfull bio courses.

8. bhoover

bhoover Member

Now that's the answer iwas looking for. I can't began to tell you how helpful that was.

"They say intelligence and expirence is the key to success..."
    I agree with the 2nd part [​IMG] (though they go hand in hand)

------------------

9. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Glad to be of service.