1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

So many SMP, MBS & formal post-baccs: What are the REAL chances for "DIY"?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by andresx, May 26, 2008.

1. andresx

With so many SMP, MBS & formal post-baccs, what are the REAL chances for
    a "DIY" student with the minimum science requirements?

I plan to complete the requirements at two schools, and will seek advice from the one that seems to have a "structured" post-bacc program. However, it feels that with the minimum requirements and semi-DIY program at 2 schools that I will be at a disadvantage from the start compared to others that have made a bigger commitment & attended an SMP/MBS/formal post-bacc... Am I right here? is it much harder to be a viable candidate as a post-bacc with min science requirements vs all others?

The statistics are cruel, for 07-08 there were ~42k applicants and ~18k spots...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if you have a low GPA:
    doing well in an SMP program has the "best bang for buck" quality in improving your chances.

as far as formal vs informal post-bacc, they differ little in "improving your chances." the more science classes you take (and do well), the more you improve your candidacy, but whether you take 'em at a formal vs informal program matters not (except for minor differences in "reputation").

however, if you are a non-trad with a high GPA in a non-science field (e.g. economics), the competitive linkage post-baccs, which are all structured type, offer the "best bang for buck."

MBS/MBA probably helps the least.

4. IFLYHIGH

Pre-Medical
    Hi there fellas, do you know of any Post-bacc programs that are easy to get admitted to?

5. IFLYHIGH

Pre-Medical
    could anyone explain what SMP is? sorry for the silly question.

6. b05010445

b05010445 Atlantic Seamonster
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    An SMP is a special masters program, here you attend classes at a medical school and take some of the same courses the first year medical students do.
    It proves you can take M1 classes and do well. You get a masters degree from these and they are very expensive. But if you mess up in an SMP you're done for.

7. yamaraja808

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Not sure if there are easy ones to get into but you can look into Drexels post-bacc program, Ohio MEDPATH, and Temple's post-bacc program. All have conditional acceptance to their partner medical schools and they do accept out of state students as well. There are a whole bunch of them so just do a search for them on google.

8. IFLYHIGH

Pre-Medical

Thanks, you have shed light on an otherwise confused state I was in with regards to the above progam.

9. IFLYHIGH

Pre-Medical

Interesting. I will check those 3 programs out. I wonder if there is a website that has the postbaccs and you get to choose which one fits you best. Thanks, very useful info.

10. RealityDream

7+ Year Member

An easy one to get in is the post bac program at CSU East Bay. You only need to have at least a 2.5 GPA and if you apply early (before May) then you get accepted. It takes about a month to get accepted.

No interview or personal statement or letter of recommendations or MCAT are needed. You don't have to fill in those.