So many SMP, MBS & formal post-baccs: What are the REAL chances for "DIY"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andresx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With so many SMP, MBS & formal post-baccs, what are the REAL chances for
a "DIY" student with the minimum science requirements?

I plan to complete the requirements at two schools, and will seek advice from the one that seems to have a "structured" post-bacc program. However, it feels that with the minimum requirements and semi-DIY program at 2 schools that I will be at a disadvantage from the start compared to others that have made a bigger commitment & attended an SMP/MBS/formal post-bacc... Am I right here? is it much harder to be a viable candidate as a post-bacc with min science requirements vs all others?

The statistics are cruel, for 07-08 there were ~42k applicants and ~18k spots...

Members don't see this ad.

if you have a low GPA:
doing well in an SMP program has the "best bang for buck" quality in improving your chances.

as far as formal vs informal post-bacc, they differ little in "improving your chances." the more science classes you take (and do well), the more you improve your candidacy, but whether you take 'em at a formal vs informal program matters not (except for minor differences in "reputation").

however, if you are a non-trad with a high GPA in a non-science field (e.g. economics), the competitive linkage post-baccs, which are all structured type, offer the "best bang for buck."

MBS/MBA probably helps the least.

Hi there fellas, do you know of any Post-bacc programs that are easy to get admitted to?

Members don't see this ad :)
could anyone explain what SMP is? sorry for the silly question.

could anyone explain what SMP is? sorry for the silly question.

An SMP is a special masters program, here you attend classes at a medical school and take some of the same courses the first year medical students do.
It proves you can take M1 classes and do well. You get a masters degree from these and they are very expensive. But if you mess up in an SMP you're done for.

Hi there fellas, do you know of any Post-bacc programs that are easy to get admitted to?

Not sure if there are easy ones to get into but you can look into Drexels post-bacc program, Ohio MEDPATH, and Temple's post-bacc program. All have conditional acceptance to their partner medical schools and they do accept out of state students as well. There are a whole bunch of them so just do a search for them on google.

An SMP is a special masters program, here you attend classes at a medical school and take some of the same courses the first year medical students do.
It proves you can take M1 classes and do well. You get a masters degree from these and they are very expensive. But if you mess up in an SMP you're done for.

Thanks, you have shed light on an otherwise confused state I was in with regards to the above progam.

Not sure if there are easy ones to get into but you can look into Drexels post-bacc program, Ohio MEDPATH, and Temple's post-bacc program. All have conditional acceptance to their partner medical schools and they do accept out of state students as well. There are a whole bunch of them so just do a search for them on google.

Interesting. I will check those 3 programs out. I wonder if there is a website that has the postbaccs and you get to choose which one fits you best. Thanks, very useful info.

An easy one to get in is the post bac program at CSU East Bay. You only need to have at least a 2.5 GPA and if you apply early (before May) then you get accepted. It takes about a month to get accepted.

No interview or personal statement or letter of recommendations or MCAT are needed. You don't have to fill in those.