So military med isn't perfect, what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKnox49

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading countless threads about the woes of military medicine and the hardships of military docs, I can't help but say that sucks but what now? There are many of us who have made the commitment and are happy with our decision but are now hearing some very negative feedback and although countless negative comments is mindnumbing it is not incredibly helpful.

Does anybody have any helpful advice for those of us about to come into military medicine on how to make the most out of it? Specifically, does specialty or being highly qualified help anything or is everyone in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you one thing...from a patient point of view when my husband was injured in Afghanistan he received excellent care by physicians from all brances at Walter Reed. Sure things *can* always be better and I have no clue of how it is from the docs point of view at other places...but docs at Walter Reed the ones I met were NOT primary care were all happy and super caring. The nursing staff was also fine at least in our ward and when we thought something needed improvement and brought it up with higher staff it was implemented. So again, remember that most of the service members and family are grateful for the care we are given although yes, I am sure there are some examples of incompetence and whatnot...

JKnox49 said:
After reading countless threads about the woes of military medicine and the hardships of military docs, I can't help but say that sucks but what now? There are many of us who have made the commitment and are happy with our decision but are now hearing some very negative feedback and although countless negative comments is mindnumbing it is not incredibly helpful.

Does anybody have any helpful advice for those of us about to come into military medicine on how to make the most out of it? Specifically, does specialty or being highly qualified help anything or is everyone in the same boat?

I do have suggestions:

1) Make the best of it as i did.
2) Choose a specialty that you enjoy...don't let the military system sway you...ie picking a specialty because you won't have to do a GMO, etc.
3) Suck it up, don't try to get out of deployments...you will only screw your buddy.
4) Participate in administration if you can, but that will be hard....O-4 and up nurses WILL have more time and NO clinical responsibilities.
5) Take good care of your patients.

Will mil med change and get better? I doubt it...I think it needs to crash and burn before things will turn around.....but I'm wrong a lot of times.

Hi all,

Thanks Jknox for staring this thread. (sounding like a true husky!!!) :) It is my opinion that the military health care system does provide well for it's service members and their dependents. SO far alot of the complains of negatives aspects of medicine in the military seemed to be bureaucracy related more than health care related (I.E. staffing oppose to finacial restraints (beds). I"m not sure if this is also true through out the health care system of the US or the world but I would like to echo what militarymd and richl025 has said. If there are people who are in the military for the long haul, i think it is only up to us to take one for the team to see and/or lead the change. Hense, I think there is a need for conscious commitment for the doctors in the military.