So much for only a few optometrists seeking surgical rights. Look at New Mexico!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The NM Optomotry bill will be revisted tomorrow and has a chance of getting past the senate.

Members don't see this ad.

The NM Optomotry bill will be re-evaluated tomorrow and has a chance of getting past the senate.

Released by AAO

March 21, 2005
New Mexico Win is Big for Patients

United Medicine Helps Patient Safety Carry the Day

On March 19, 2005, ophthalmology and its medical allies registered a win in New Mexico, as a dangerous optometric surgery bill died in the state legislature. It is an important victory in our ongoing battle against optometry's bid to expand its scope of practice, and it sends a loud and clear signal.

Whether in rural states like New Mexico or more populated states such as Florida, our message is influential and undeniable: quality health care must be preserved for all, and MD/DO does make a difference when it comes to getting that care.

The Academy, the New Mexico Ophthalmological Society and the New Mexico State Medical Society led the charge, supported by national allies the American Medical Association, American Osteopathic Association, American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Each of these organizations is supportive of quality surgical care and Surgery by Surgeons.

Together, we moved aggressively to defeat New Mexico's HB 199. As a result of growing public consciousness about the issue and through Eye M.D.s talking to their state senators and representatives, the legislators became aware of the grave risks to allowing non-physicians to perform surgical procedures with lasers, scalpels and needles.

New Mexico is a great triumph, but hard work remains. Oklahoma is still a battleground, and our success there and in other states where ODs threaten depends on your continued support.

Members don't see this ad :)
OzDDS said:
Can someone help me out here.. Please! I need backup.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=187244&page=1&pp=20

This is a place to discuss how optometrists are trying to expand thier practice over Ophthalmology. It is not a place where we should "backup" optometrists so they can be called eye doctors. The UK system is apparently better one, where optometry school leads to a bachelor degree.

Andrew_Doan said:
Released by AAO

March 21, 2005
New Mexico Win is Big for Patients

United Medicine Helps Patient Safety Carry the Day

On March 19, 2005, ophthalmology and its medical allies registered a win in New Mexico, as a dangerous optometric surgery bill died in the state legislature. It is an important victory in our ongoing battle against optometry's bid to expand its scope of practice, and it sends a loud and clear signal.

Whether in rural states like New Mexico or more populated states such as Florida, our message is influential and undeniable: quality health care must be preserved for all, and MD/DO does make a difference when it comes to getting that care.

The Academy, the New Mexico Ophthalmological Society and the New Mexico State Medical Society led the charge, supported by national allies the American Medical Association, American Osteopathic Association, American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Each of these organizations is supportive of quality surgical care and Surgery by Surgeons.

Together, we moved aggressively to defeat New Mexico's HB 199. As a result of growing public consciousness about the issue and through Eye M.D.s talking to their state senators and representatives, the legislators became aware of the grave risks to allowing non-physicians to perform surgical procedures with lasers, scalpels and needles.

New Mexico is a great triumph, but hard work remains. Oklahoma is still a battleground, and our success there and in other states where ODs threaten depends on your continued support.

GO NEW MEXICO!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Deek said:
The UK system is apparently better one, where optometry school leads to a bachelor degree.

Just as medical school leads to bachelors and surgeons are denied the salutation of "doctor?"

Deek said:
This is a place to discuss how optometrists are trying to expand thier practice over Ophthalmology. .

hmm. Yes, I realize this. That is WHY I'm asking for your help to argue with this opmetrist who supports this and thinks he can do lasiks.

Deek said:
It is not a place where we should "backup" optometrists so they can be called eye doctors.

My God.. You must be just as silly as the man I'm arguing with in the other forum.
Notice.. I said, back ME up, not the optometrist!!

Deek said:
The UK system is apparently better one, where optometry school leads to a bachelor degree.

This place is full of ignorant people. Nevermind..

You know what.. medical school in the UK leads to a bachelor degree too!! if you graduate from fricken Cambridge ****ing med school you get a Bachelor of medicine which is the same thing as an MD from the US. THe first medical degrees to be given out in the US were bachelor degrees you silly man! The Docs from the UK are the ones who CREATED the US med system in the first place.

but what you call your degree is not what this discussion is about.. I was trying to get some help from some ophthalmology students and docs to help me argue my case AGAINST this silly optometrist. But I see this too is hopless. I'm now sorry I wasted my time.

OzDDS said:
hmm. Yes, I realize this. That is WHY I'm asking for your help to argue with this opmetrist who supports this and thinks he can do lasiks.

My God.. You must be just as silly as the man I'm arguing with in the other forum.

but what you call your degree is not what this discussion is about.. I was trying to get some help from some ophthalmology students and docs to help me argue my case AGAINST this silly optometrist. But I see this too is hopless. I'm now sorry I wasted my time.

I read through that whole thread and it was just confused garble. . .I'm still unclear on what your position is and what it is you want backup about.

Although I did find it amusing that someone on that thread cited a TV show in which a British doctor screwed something up as proof that American docs are better than the Brits. Real intellectual masterminds you are battling with over there, be sure to let us know who comes out on top. (My moneys on nobody)

OzDDS said:

You know what.. medical school in the UK leads to a bachelor degree too!! if you graduate from fricken Cambridge ****ing med school you get a Bachelor of medicine which is the same thing as an MD from the US. THe first medical degrees to be given out in the US were bachelor degrees you silly man! The Docs from the UK are the ones who CREATED the US med system in the first place.

I apologize for not understanding fully what you were trying to get at. As the post earlier posted, it was extreemly confusing what was on that thread. I think you should make it more clear next time as to what kind of support you are seeking. I am not going to make a comment on your unprofessional comments.

Deek said:
I apologize for not understanding fully what you were trying to get at. As the post earlier posted, it was extreemly confusing what was on that thread.

Sorry, was having a bad day and I thought maybe you were just being patronizing. Don't worry about it then. Sorry to hijack your thread.. Back to the regularly scheduled program.. :oops:

OzDDS said:
Sorry, was having a bad day and I thought maybe you were just being patronizing. Don't worry about it then. Sorry to hijack your thread.. Back to the regularly scheduled program.. :oops:

:thumbup: