So now that you've taken it.......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolchix321

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so now that you've taken the MCAT.... what recommendations do you have for people who are preparing for the MCAT?
Based on your recent experience, what would you have done differently to prepare?
What do you suggest? Advice? Tips?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do ALL of the ExamKrackers 101 Verbal Passages and read ~4 well-written novels before you take it. I did about 40 of the EK passages and hadn't read any literature for ~1 year. Now that I'm reading again during summer I find that my verbal abilities have vastly improved. In any case, EK pulled my VR from a 9 [start of studying] to an 11 [end of studying]. Seeing as that's about 10 more questions right on the actual test, it's not too shabby.

Are you joking?
I am asking HOW to study for Verbal exactly.... other than just doing practice verbal passages, which I have been doing with no improvement, I would like to know HOW to study for it... What is the best way to study for it?
Stop assuming

Members don't see this ad :)
Really the only way to prepare is to do A LOT of practice passages. I would imagine reading books would help; perhaps Baudrillard? Additionally, after completing a practice passage, go through the answers (without using the explanation provided with the question) and figure out why each answer was the right one, and why the others were not.

Also, read each question word for word and pay close attention to EXCEPT and stuff like that, I have a tendency to miss those lol.

EDIT: If you need any specific help, send me a PM and I'll see what I can to assist you.

The best way to practice verbal is to not only practice your strategy but also your timing. You just have to find a way to do passages that you are comfortable with and then practice, practice, practice it.

-LIS

Last edited:
You don't give ANY useful advice at all. You just try to belittle and degrade posters you don't know anything about. If you want tough love then you need to look in the mirror first because someone who has only broken a 30 twice out of 14 tries on practice MCATs has NO chance to get over a 40. Make sure you're willing to take advice that you dish out.

-LIS

I agree the indian girl doesn't give useful advice. I really think "it" is a troll. Very disrespectful and doesn't say anything helpful or useful. Delusion of grandeur maybe?

Do you know what "tough love" is? Not everyone has a sensitive and purely feminine way of saying things. I'm not going to "Shakespearify" my language to make it suitable for your weakness or sensitive social standards.
Lol..."she" thinks she's top gun here.
Lemme give you a word of advice. Stop going around and posting like you're a "hard ass". If you do that over the internet, you make yourself look like even more of an idiot than you all ready are in real life. But in the long run, you make yourself to be even more annoying than you probably all ready are in real life.
And looking at your trend, good luck raising your last 4 average by ~15 points to get to your goal. Regardless of how you do on your MCAT, you won't be able to hide your douchebaggery during your interview.

And to the OP:
As most current MCAT test takers will also tell you, the AAMC practice exams are a bit unrepresentative of what the real MCAT is like. To that note, I'd also suggets you buy the AAMC Official guide to the MCAT.

Thanks for your help
With all due respect, how will the logic help me with Verbal? What information does the Logic book have that is beneficial to me?
Thanks

Why are the AAMC practice exams are a bit unrepresentative of what the real MCAT is like?
The questions in the Official Guide to MCAT book are more representative? How so?
I have the book...

People say that those AAMC FLs are a bit easier, and they don't follow the trends/formats completely with the latest MCAT.
It can only help to use that book.

What are the new trends/formats?
The AAMCs are easier? Really?
I thought that VR AAMC 5 on Picasso abstract was a killer...

The general opinion is that the verbal is about the same and whether it is a bit longer or not is still up for debate (it seems like some are and some aren't). The science sections are defintely harder.

To find new trends I suggest looking in the Official thread for certain MCAT dates. July 30 and 31st people just took their MCAT and have lots of opinions on their tests. I suggest visiting those threads and looking up posts with the same date as their MCAT day.

-Hope this helps,

-LIS

So will near future MCATs be consistent with the MCAT on July 30 and 31? Will the MCATs in the near future be like those?

Well those are just the closest date that I pointed out. I would look at the January threads and May threads and then the July threads (after reading half to a full page you'll get the idea because the opinions are generally similar). Another great suggestion would be to look at the 30+ sticky thread for all posts from last summer to this summer. There seems to be a consensus that the MCAT has shifted to testing more passages based on experiments rather than say physiology as in the older AAMC MCATs.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Thanks
what other new general trends are there?
Whats the best way to prepare now?

That would best be answered by how you study best. A good way is to go on the 30+ thread and start from about a year out and just read all the posts. That thread is VERY helpful. One thing that is helpful that isn't mentioned in the thread is to use TBR for G. Chem, O. Chem, and Physics.

There is so much more to learn that you can look in the 30+ thread found here and BloodySurgeon's guide found here. There are also many people here willing to help and I don't have too much time to explain it all.

Also this is an excellent thread for current trends in bio and one of the best ones to come along in a while.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Last edited:
Okay, here is some basic advice I have for you. When you take your practice tests, take them in a variety of locations. Some place with other people and other computers around you so that you get used to the sounds that could potentially get distracting. I took the 7/30 MCAT this year, and I do believe that the VR passages were definitely longer than on the AAMC tests; however, I also feel that what messed me up the most was the fact that some people were just getting to their WS's, and the noises were completely distracting.

As far as studying goes, I think you just need a basic assessment of your own strengths/weaknesses. Take a diagnostic, and look at what you are good in and what you aren't so good in. Then, just be persistent with your study schedule and constantly check yourself with practice tests (not just AAMC... that was my mistake!) to see what your progress is.