So OMSIVs, how is the interview trail coming along?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, it’s a highly improbable situation. What are the odds (1) that two DO students received 9 ACGME dermatology IIs in one match cycle, a feat that has most likely never been achieved by any single DO student in the past; (2) that these two DO students attend the same osteopathic medical school out of the ~30 schools that currently have fourth-year students; and (3) that both of these students would be open enough to share the extent of their success with their gossipy classmates?

I wish it were true, but I have to call BS.
Idk the programs but I just assumed many of the programs they interviewed at were former AOA programs with ACGME accred. There’s about 20 former AOA derm programs that have full acgme now and can participate in this years match (2 of them are part of my schools GME too). But if it wasn’t for that I’d be a lot more skeptical of the interview numbers.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Idk the programs but I just assumed many of the programs they interviewed at were former AOA programs with ACGME accred. There’s about 20 former AOA derm programs that have full acgme now and can participate in this years match (2 of them are part of my schools GME too). But if it wasn’t for that I’d be a lot more skeptical of the interview numbers.
I agree this is the most likely scenario.

EM
13 interviews
went on 10
apply broadly and you will be fine.
message me if you have more questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Primary care with a board failure, then rising scores on repeat and level 2.
9 interviews, ranked 7, and feel positive about the number 1 choice.
Stress and concern are WNL.
Apply to places that make sense for your story, and you will be fine. Even a classmate with multiple board failures had three interviews at places that made sense for the story.
If you apply broadly (e.g. you're from LA and never visited Mississippi but think you should apply there), be ready to pursue the programs with a story that makes sense about why you're worth the trouble of interviewing. Otherwise, they'll say "This candidate is applying broadly," and will likely leave your application until the end, if at all, even if you are the second coming of Littlejohn.
If you can get auditions, and you can get along with people, you'll almost certainly get a spot because the program directors don't like uncertainty about applicants anymore than applicants like uncertainty from programs.
Listen to Goro. Goro is an exception to Dr. House's First Rule of SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
Already matched. Just chilling.

how do people pre match? You're the third person whove said this so far. Never knew you can match before the match...

Reactions: 1 user
how do people pre match? You're the third person whove said this so far. Never knew you can match before the match...

AOA match happens before ACGME match.

You will not have that special perk anymore cutie pie.

SINCE you go to med school and are a second year, it will be all ACGME.

One match.

One date.

<3

Stats... Cool!

2016 - Zero DOs match

2017 - Zero DOs match.

2018 - Twelve DOs match...

Is it really that hard to believe that a couple gunner DOs in the same class got 9 interviews?

Lmao.

Or maybe it was one last hurrah for DO programs to admit as many derm folks to that specialty before we are all enslaved to the depths of primary care as a middle finger.

DIABETIC FEET UNTIL WE DIEEE..

YAAASSS.

AOA match happens before ACGME match.

You will not have that special perk anymore cutie pie.

When you go to med school, it will be all ACGME.

One match.

One date.

<3

I'm a current OMSII...wishing I went to med school one year sooner...

I'm a current OMSII...wishing I went to med school one year sooner...

Fixed it for you.

;)

and nah.

You're where you are meant to be.

God's plan.

Psych. 24x; 26x. 15 invites, went on 13. Ranked 12.

My experience this year was slightly humbling, but satisfactory. I applied heavily around home and I interviewed similarly. My rank list is populated with decent programs. I think as long as I'm in the first half of my list I'll be very happy.

Looking back I am happy with how things turned out with my education. But I lament the fact that unlike many of my MD counterparts who had big names mentoring them or just associated with them who could be asked to contact programs directors to great advance their applications, I only had my merit and my frantic letters of interest.

Some part of me wanted to believe that having good boards would overcome being a DO. But it doesnt. I'm just going to hope it doesn't set me back in the ranking for my number 1.

Reactions: 10 users
Met some strong DO candidates applying this year for the program that I am currently in. Keep fighting the good fight.

Reactions: 4 users
Psych. 24x; 26x. 15 invites, went on 13. Ranked 12.

My experience this year was slightly humbling, but satisfactory. I applied heavily around home and I interviewed similarly. My rank list is populated with decent programs. I think as long as I'm in the first half of my list I'll be very happy.

Looking back I am happy with how things turned out with my education. But I lament the fact that unlike many of my MD counterparts who had big names mentoring them or just associated with them who could be asked to contact programs directors to great advance their applications, I only had my merit and my frantic letters of interest.

Some part of me wanted to believe that having good boards would overcome being a DO. But it doesnt. I'm just going to hope it doesn't set me back in the ranking for my number 1.

How many programs you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is the military match in December, ophthalmology and urology matches in January and the AOA match in February that match early, before the national match.

@Goro started from the bottom now we here. Woohoo

Yes!! It kinda sucks that we will be back at the bottom starting July 1st.
I wouldn’t want to be at the bottom in any other specialty though!!

Reactions: 1 users
I think most of us are done.

EM. Went on >12 interviews. Likely forgoing prestige for fit and location.

Trail went well apparently! Matched EM today! Hopefully everyone had good news.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Trail went well apparently! Matched EM today! Hopefully everyone had good news.
Congrats. My buddy matched EM today too with just a comlex!

Reactions: 3 users
Good news on this end. Matched today :)

Reactions: 16 users
Matched EM today! Cheers, gang.

Reactions: 14 users
Matched Peds. 57 apps, 5 interviews. Listed all 5 because I ain't that dumb

Reactions: 11 users