So people have been saying the test is more "thinking" based now...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this mean TPRH workbook and most of the AAMC's are not great indicators of the current test format? Seems like the workbook and a lot of the AAMC tests are recall based questions...less thinking/reading between the lines of a passage for information...

For those that have taken the test, would you say individuals who are scoring well in verbal are better suited for the most current iteration of the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

We'll I think that the passages still require you to recall some information, right? You can't just blindly take the test without a basic knowledge of the required sciences..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took my mcat on june 5th and my verbal and bio section felt just like AAMC 11. Some of my bio questions were straight up recall questions

I think that if you have your content knowledge down it shouldn't make a difference.. For example if you know how carbonic anhydrase works in the body you would be set on answering a bio question about what hyperventilation does OR a chem question asking something about Le Chat.'s principle. In my opinion the MCAT has always emphasized critical thinking... they expect you to know their topics so when they give you something new you can apply it...

What I have been doing is doing a passage in TPRH or AAMC and when I am reviewing it I think of other questions/twists that could have been applied to that same concept. Good Luck!

Does this mean TPRH workbook and most of the AAMC's are not great indicators of the current test format? Seems like the workbook and a lot of the AAMC tests are recall based questions...less thinking/reading between the lines of a passage for information...

For those that have taken the test, would you say individuals who are scoring well in verbal are better suited for the most current iteration of the MCAT?

TPR full lengths are not a good indicator of what the real MCAT will be like in my opinion. They require you to be much more sharp with content especially with minor details as opposed to AAMC which tends to test more broad concepts. I've taken three MCATs and between 2012 and 2013 and they were quite similar to the AAMC practice tests with the exception of passage length and importance. Passages in PS and BS were consistently a full page in length like verbal passages and required a bit more time to get through compared to the early AAMC's especially. My experience was that those PS/BS passages contained a lot of important info that needed to be taken into consideration along with content knowledge as opposed to many of the AAMCs where you could answer often without reading the passage. So to answer your question it does seem to be more thinking based but not at the expense of content-it takes a little more flexibility with applying what you already know if that makes sense. The only thing I felt I could've done differently to prepare for this is to work on timing to compensate for long passages. AAMC 11 is pretty realistic especially in VR and BS.

Reactions: 1 user