So Rand Paul got into medical school without an UG Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
He never completed his Bio/English degrees at Baylor then somehow went onto Duke to get his MD. This makes me so upset because the integrity of pateint care comes into question here. Was he even competent enough to become a physician? He became an Opthamolgist which was highly competitive when he came out. I'd like to see his step 1 scores. I understand his father was a doctor maybe that had something to do with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Duke didn't require a bachelor's degree for entry at the time so it doesn't seem too odd to me. He was probably a good student at Baylor reglardless since I imagine a bachelor's degree was an implicit requirement at every institution given the competition. I disagree with Sen. Paul on a lot of things but he probably isn't an idiot if not amoral.

Also, who cares?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Duke didn't require a bachelor's degree for entry at the time so it doesn't seem too odd to me. He was probably a good student at Baylor reglardless since I imagine a bachelor's degree was an implicit requirement at every institution given the competition. I disagree with Sen. Paul on a lot of things but he probably isn't an idiot if not uber-libertarian.
Edited for political correctness.

Duke didn't require a bachelor's degree for entry at the time so it doesn't seem too odd to me. He was probably a good student at Baylor reglardless since I imagine a bachelor's degree was an implicit requirement at every institution given the competition. I disagree with Sen. Paul on a lot of things but he probably isn't an idiot if not amoral.

Also, who cares?

hmmm according to him he has those two degrees, which was proven to be false. Who cares? Would you want a doctor that couldn't even complete an Undergrad Bio and english degree to be performing Cataracts Surgery on your mother? Lol at thinking it was solely because he was a great student and had nothing to with his fathers connections.

Reactions: 1 user
hmmm according to him get has those two degree to which was proven to be false. Who cares? Would you want a doctor that couldn't even complete an Undergrad Bio and english degree to be performing Cataracts Surgery on your mother? Lol at thinking it was solely because he was a great student and had nothing to with his fathers connections.

I'm sure the people at Duke could have been swayed by his dad's influence but it probably didn't buy him a free ticket. If Duke admitted him, he passed all of his boards, graduated with the MD, matched into residency, earned a medical license and proceeded to build a practice where he didn't hurt or maim people but treated their conditions then...yeah..seems like he's a good doctor by definition lol. Good person? Maybe not.

hmmm according to him he has those two degrees, which was proven to be false. Who cares? Would you want a doctor that couldn't even complete an Undergrad Bio and english degree to be performing Cataracts Surgery on your mother? Lol at thinking it was solely because he was a great student and had nothing to with his fathers connections.

Oh, yes, because taking a few more classes in undergrad accounts for a difference in performance as a physician. Right. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, yes, because taking a few more classes in undergrad accounts for a difference in performance as a physician. Right. :rolleyes:

He failed most of his classes. He wasn't a few classes away from graduating. Then he went onto a top 10 Medical School.

If he passed all of his preclinical exams, steps, residency exams to become board certified, etc, then I couldn't care less if he had a degree in underwater basket weaving.

Last time I checked, most MD schools don't require a bachelor's, just 90 credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
It's not like he didn't have a point. All board certifications are made up things. They only have as much legitimacy as their reputation affords them. This is why we have all these fake doctors aping our certifications calling themselves board certified fellowship trained whatevers

He also did have actual board certification, he just let it lapse rather than recertify as a statement as a part of this protest he was trying to make.

The whole thing is actually a pretty interesting story, even if he failed rather miserably. He was fighting against grandfathering and MOC requirements - something a number of specialties are up in arms about now against their respective boards.

Reactions: 5 users
He failed most of his classes. He wasn't a few classes away from graduating. Then he went onto a top 10 Medical School.

Not a Rand Paul fan, but I'd be curious to see evidence that he failed a substantial number of classes at Baylor. I've heard he did not graduate, but moving into medical school prior to graduation and "flunking out" of undergrad are two very different things.

He also did have actual board certification, he just let it lapse rather than recertify as a statement as a part of this protest he was trying to make.

The whole thing is actually a pretty interesting story, even if he failed rather miserably. He was fighting against grandfathering and MOC requirements - something a number of specialties are up in arms about now against their respective boards.

Well it is a pretty ridiculous situation. The people who need to update their medical knowledge the most decided that it was everyone else that needed it. It makes sense to be a lifelong learner and keep up on the literature but not if it's mandatory without being implemented across the boardnot to mention being unreasonably expensive

While I don't agree with him politically I don't think it's fair to try to criticize his education. At the time the medical education environment was different and a bachelor's degree wasn't absolutely necessary. In addition, for all you know he had amazing scores in college and medical school. I'm inclined to trust Duke's judgement in accepting his application. Also, if you check his record he doesn't have any sanctions or board actions. I couldn't find any malpractice information. The ophthalmology board requires continuing education... so I think it's fair to say that while I may disagree with him on a political standpoint there is no reason to question his medical qualifications.

Reactions: 4 users
He never completed his Bio/English degrees at Baylor then somehow went onto Duke to get his MD. This makes me so upset because the integrity of pateint care comes into question here. Was he even competent enough to become a physician? He became an Opthamolgist which was highly competitive when he came out. I'd like to see his step 1 scores. I understand his father was a doctor maybe that had something to do with it.
Most Pharmacy schools don't require a BS and a lot of students go in not completing one. Not a big deal since UG degree doesn't contribute much to a doctor.

Please spell Ophthalmologist correctly. *****

Reactions: 6 users

Recently the ABIM caved under the protestations about the MOC requirements

Couldn't and didn't want to are two separate things.

I'm sure his OB-GYN father got him into his ophthalmology residency... because those kinds of things happen. If only my father was a psychiatrist I would be able to match into derm...

Reactions: 3 users
I think the concern isn't about him failing stuff and more about whether it is ethical to present himself and advertise himself as "Board Certified Ophthalmologist" given his circumstances.

I think the concern isn't about him failing stuff and more about whether it is ethical to present himself and advertise himself as "Board Certified Ophthalmologist" given his circumstances.

If you passed the boards the first time you're board certified. And for years you only had to pass the boards once to remain board certified. Then the certification organizations realized they could make millions of dollars per year under the guise of protecting the public and started forcing people to retake an exam to remain board certified. However, certain doctors were grandfathered in. They were somehow safe to continue practicing after 10, 15, 20 years but the younger, more up to date doctors were not... hmmm somethings sounds fishy, no?

It is all a racket. They force you to spend a few thousand dollars every 10 years to take a re-cert exam. There's nothing magical that happen between year 9.99 and year 10 but somehow you've gone from a board certified doctor to chopped liver.

Reactions: 5 users
You mad bro?

Oh pre-med trolls. So stupid. So transparent. Continue on... I'll just laugh at your hollow attempts from my superior pedestal...

If you passed the boards the first time you're board certified. And for years you only had to pass the boards once to remain board certified. Then the certification organizations realized they could make millions of dollars per year under the guise of protecting the public and started forcing people to retake an exam to remain board certified. However, certain doctors were grandfathered in. They were somehow safe to continue practicing after 10, 15, 20 years but the younger, more up to date doctors were not... hmmm somethings sounds fishy, no?

It is all a racket. They force you to spend a few thousand dollars every 10 years to take a re-cert exam. There's nothing magical that happen between year 9.99 and year 10 but somehow you've gone from a board certified doctor to chopped liver.

A board certified physician took your girl didn't he?

Reactions: 7 users

I can imagine that raised a lot of stink. However, there's still a difference between rejecting the system vs rejecting it and still using the title "board certified." That seems a bit like trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Note how below my avatar it says fellow. That means I have finished residency. Which also means I have taken the boards. I am board certified.

For a troll you're pretty stupid

Last edited:
So the answer to the question is, yes?

Well my wife used to be the batmans girl and I stole her.

So yes I guess a board certified physician stole my girl, from the batman

Reactions: 4 users
I'm more upset by your inability to spell the word patient since you'll be pursuing medicine. Since u can't spell ophthalmologist, I don think you can reliably critique how good an ophthalmologist he would be. I trust Duke over you. At the time, Duke did not require a Bachelor's degree to enter their medical school though that policy has now changed.
Duke didnt require matriculating med students to have undergrad degrees. So his father in OB-Gyn got him an Ophtho residency? Lol.
How do u know he failed most of his classes?
When was the last time you checked? 1985?

You mad bro?

Ok, now its like you're not even trying to make sense.

When was the last time you checked? 1985?

Really? I simply googled "90 credits apply to medical school" and found a ton. All UCs and all schools under TMDSAS. So there is 16 schools for starters.

As far as getting your bachelors after the fact, that is possible if the undergraduate school you attended is willing to apply medical school course work toward your degree progress.

I'm more upset by your inability to spell the word patient since you'll be pursuing medicine. Since u can't spell ophthalmologist, I don think you can reliably critique how good an ophthalmologist he would be. I trust Duke over you. At the time, Duke did not require a Bachelor's degree to enter their medical school though that policy has now changed.

Duke didnt require matriculating med students to have undergrad degrees. So his father in OB-Gyn got him an Ophtho residency? Lol.

How do u know he failed most of his classes?

Ok, now its like you're not even trying to make sense.

OH no you got me! You've figured out my Achilles heel, spelling. How dare I spell certain words incorrectly in such a formal setting. I feel like such a failure because I proofread it three times and even squeezed spell check for everything it was worth. I mean I had to because it meant so much, my future was at stake with that post and for that I am a failure. I'll go visit my adviser tomorrow without making an appointment because I have an important message to relay to her. Physical Therapy here I come!

Note how below my avatar it says fellow. That means I have finished residency. Which also means I have taken the boards. I am board certified.

For a troll you're pretty stupid

b74.png

Status
Not open for further replies.