So should I wait another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s85110

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi yall!

So far I have:

• ~60 hours of hospital volunteering
  • just spent the spring break in Nicaragua on a medical trip
  • Planning on taking MCAT on May 19th, I have about a 28-32 practice score.
  • a bunch of random extracurricular with some positions but not medically related.
  • 2-3 years of bio/biomedical research
  • no doctor shadowing yet, but hopefully within next 2 months(unless nicaragua counts..)
  • My LORs are about so-so.
  • 3.8269 GPA, my science GPA is very close to a 4.0 (got pulled down by engineering classes)

This is already my 4th year in college, I transferred from Biology to Biomedical engineering after my freshman year so I had to take an extra year. (5 years total)

So my question is, should I apply this cycle? I'm just looking mostly at Texas in-state schools and TCOM. Do I stand a chance? Or should I spend this summer and fall polishing my MCAT and volunteering/shadowing/LOR?

I'm already taking an extra year of college, so an extra year off on top of that doesn't sound too appealing.

What if I can get my MCAT to around 35 range? (I just started studying, so I think there's potential for much more) Also, I moved from Taiwan during high school and had to take two years of ESL. I don't know if this will help at all.

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi yall!

So far I have:

• a bunch of random extracurricular with some positions but not medically related.
  • no doctor shadowing yet, but hopefully within next 2 months(unless nicaragua counts..)
  • 3.8269 GPA, my science GPA is very close to a 4.0 (got pulled down by engineering classes)

This is already my 4th year in college, I transferred from Biology to Biomedical engineering after my freshman year so I had to take an extra year. (5 years total)

So my question is, should I apply this cycle? I'm just looking mostly at Texas in-state schools and TCOM. Do I stand a chance? Or should I spend this summer and fall polishing my MCAT and volunteering/shadowing/LOR?

I'm already taking an extra year of college, so an extra year off on top of that doesn't sound too appealing.

What if I can get my MCAT to around 35 range? (I just started studying, so I think there's potential for much more) Also, I moved from Taiwan during high school and had to take two years of ESL. I don't know if this will help at all.

With stats like that why are you even thinking about waiting a year? Do you not think your stats are strong enough to get into a medical school? Are you shooting for a top tier school? Do you want to have some fun and adventure in a gap year (worth it, IMO) ?

Anyways, you should definitely not decide anything until after you get your MCAT score back. But seriously I don't even know why you are asking this. If I was in your shoes I would focus on the MCAT and then apply to texas schools and rock the in-state tuition, like a boss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi yall!

So far I have:

I get the impression that you just decided to go to medical school. When did you start the clinical volunteering? Why don't you want to be an engineer?
What was your role on the medical mission?
Do you have any consistent nonmedical community service that helps those in need?
Any leadership or teaching?
Do you have shadowing opportunities lined up?
The verbal section is often difficult for those with ESL. What have your VS been on practice tests?

I went into college thinking about a career as a researcher.
But after some research opportunities I realized I just can't sit in a lab all day looking after microbes. So I wanted to attempt something more practical, thus I transferred to engineering. But after learning about what an engineer does, I realized instead of designing medical equipment that help save lives, why not directly help save lives with the equipment I design. After all, doctors know best what equipment they need the most and I really enjoy talking to people and helping them out. Sitting in front of equipment and computers all day seemed a bit unappealing.
It might appear that I change my mind left and right, but college to me is about trying out different things and coming to whatever it is that works best. And I think I have found it.
Or perhaps that extra year will really test my commitment?

I started volunteering at a local hospital during my junior year, before that I was more focused on research and didn't really considered medicine. I have a hard time imagining the many people who commit themselves toward medicine ever since high school. I almost went to a design school to study acrylic and oil painting.

The medical trip have us split into groups of 3 and an interpreter. We ask questions, measure vital signs , and attempt to diagnose patients from the rural areas. A doctor will then examine, make corrections, and teach us more about each disease, the diagnosis, and the treatment. I was amazed that they allow us to make an attempt at the diagnosis. It certainly feels quite different between simply measuring vitals and writing down the name of a disease that you diagnosed yourself. I certainly enjoyed the investigative aspects of diagnosis. We did that for 4 full clinic days (about 10-15 patients a day), and we saw many things from pap smears, hernias, to scabies. I felt more serious and more determined after every clinic. I also felt an increasing satisfaction.

I'm the head of a committee that help organize design competitions and I am also the webmaster of an organization.
I've been a preceptor who oversees review sessions for biochem and I volunteered as a public docent and gave tours about art sculptures on campus.

I have one shadowing opportunity coming up but I'm actively looking for more.
My VR is around 8 or so.

With stats like that why are you even thinking about waiting a year? Do you not think your stats are strong enough to get into a medical school? Are you shooting for a top tier school? Do you want to have some fun and adventure in a gap year (worth it, IMO) ?

Anyways, you should definitely not decide anything until after you get your MCAT score back. But seriously I don't even know why you are asking this. If I was in your shoes I would focus on the MCAT and then apply to texas schools and rock the in-state tuition, like a boss.
I don't have any shadowing yet and my volunteering hours are not spectacular.
My LORs are also probably less than so-so.
Thanks for the encouragement though!

I just typed a long reply to these great questions and somehow they didn't go through. Here's a quick rewrite.

I started out in biology searching for a career in academics and research. However, after one year of research experience I realized that I did not want to sit in a lab everyday staring at cells and test tubes. That's when I became interested in the practical aspects of engineering and transferred to the field of engineering. Although I enjoyed designing instruments and writing computer programs much more than culturing cells, I still felt that detachment from actually helping people. I love the idea of meeting people everyday and helping them face to face. After all, doctors know best what instruments they need the most. Why not become a doctor who can help design biomedical instruments?

My story might sound as if I change my mind a lot, but I feel college is a place where people make mistakes and search for their true passion. I had a hard time thinking about people who decided on a career of medicine since high school. Back in high school, I almost decided to go to a design school to major in oil and acrylic painting.

I started volunteering at the local hospital at the beginning of my junior year. I've been involved mostly with research in my freshman and sophomore year.

During the medical trip, we interview patients from the rural areas of Masaya, Nicaragua. With the help of an interpreter, we ask questions, measure vital signs, and eventually come to a diagnosis. Then, the doctor will come and examine everything we did and make corrections and teach us more about the disease, the diagnosis process, and the prescription. I was amazed with the feeling of actually coming to a diagnosis decision and having the doctor confirm it. I also learned a lot about the investigative aspect and methodology of clinical medicine. What I enjoyed the most was the satisfaction of handing the patients their medicines and explaining how it will make their ailments go away.

I don't have a consistent nonmedical community service record.

I was a preceptor who supervised review sessions for biochem class. I'm the head of a advisory board committee that helps host annual design competitions. I've also been the webmaster for that advisory board. Lastly, I volunteered as a student docent who gives public tours about art sculptures on campus.

I have one shadowing opportunity coming up, but I'm looking actively at more possibilities.
My VR is around 8.

I just typed a long reply to these great questions and somehow they didn't go through. Here's a quick rewrite.

I started out in biology searching for a career in academics and research. However, after one year of research experience I realized that I did not want to sit in a lab everyday staring at cells and test tubes. That's when I became interested in the practical aspects of engineering and transferred to the field of engineering. Although I enjoyed designing instruments and writing computer programs much more than culturing cells, I still felt that detachment from actually helping people. I love the idea of meeting people everyday and helping them face to face. After all, doctors know best what instruments they need the most. Why not become a doctor who can help design biomedical instruments?

My story might sound as if I change my mind a lot, but I feel college is a place where people make mistakes and search for their true passion. I had a hard time thinking about people who decided on a career of medicine since high school. Back in high school, I almost decided to go to a design school to major in oil and acrylic painting.

I started volunteering at the local hospital at the beginning of my junior year. I've been involved mostly with research in my freshman and sophomore year.

During the medical trip, we interview patients from the rural areas of Masaya, Nicaragua. With the help of an interpreter, we ask questions, measure vital signs, and eventually come to a diagnosis. Then, the doctor will come and examine everything we did and make corrections and teach us more about the disease, the diagnosis process, and the prescription. I was amazed with the feeling of actually coming to a diagnosis decision and having the doctor confirm it. I also learned a lot about the investigative aspect and methodology of clinical medicine. What I enjoyed the most was the satisfaction of handing the patients their medicines and explaining how it will make their ailments go away.

I was a preceptor who supervised review sessions for biochem class. I'm the head of a advisory board committee that helps host annual design competitions. I've also been the webmaster for that advisory board. Lastly, I volunteered as a student docent who gives public tours about art sculptures on campus.

I have one shadowing opportunity coming up, but I'm looking actively at more possibilities.
My VR is around 8.

I get the impression that you just decided to go to medical school. When did you start the clinical volunteering? Why don't you want to be an engineer?
What was your role on the medical mission?
Do you have any consistent nonmedical community service that helps those in need?
Any leadership or teaching?
Do you have shadowing opportunities lined up?
The verbal section is often difficult for those with ESL. What have your VS been on practice tests?

My VR is around 8.

If you get >30 on MCAT and some physician shadowing you should have a pretty good shot. Don't forget to get a lor from a physician and premed committee letter. a 3.8 and 30-31 mcat has had a success rate of 83.9% for the last 2 years according to AAMC

1) I just typed a long reply to these great questions and somehow they didn't go through. Here's a quick rewrite.

2) I started volunteering at the local hospital at the beginning of my junior year. I've been involved mostly with research in my freshman and sophomore year.

3) I don't have a consistent nonmedical community service record.

4) I was a preceptor who supervised review sessions for biochem class. I'm the head of a advisory board committee that helps host annual design competitions. I've also been the webmaster for that advisory board. Lastly, I volunteered as a student docent who gives public tours about art sculptures on campus.

5) I have one shadowing opportunity coming up, but I'm looking actively at more possibilities.

6) My VR is around 8.
1) That happens to me all the time, too. I try to remember to copy before I save, but I forget that too.

2) Didn't your junior year begin 1.5 years ago? Having 60 hours in all that time isn't much. Still, with the hours from the medical relief mission, you should almost be OK. I'd still keep up the hospital volunteering through this cycle though. And the shadowing from the mission does count, but it should not stand alone. You need to sahdow in US facilities with US docs, too.

3) This is a weakness, especially since Texas schools seem to value this. Get something going again. Maybe resume the docent position or something similar.

4) This is all good stuff. Include everything. And your artistic interests.

5) Good.

6) A VS of 7-8 would not be terrible, and ESL may excuse you in the eyes of some adcomms who think it should be at least a 9.

Overall, I'd agree with the above poster that applying this year is reasonable, but keep working to fill the holes in your application. And don't apply until you have at least 40 hours of shadowing (the bare minimum in my opinion).

OP, are you a green card holder or citizen? Your immigration status may affect your chances.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk