so sick of my med-school classmates...anyone doing undergrad activities instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
btw, I second the thread about med students all being required to take SSRIs. I promised myself I wouldn't take anything too seriously in med school b/c I have been guilty of OCD in the past, but the anxiety level among my classmates here gets so high sometimes I feel bad about trying to have a life outside of medicine.

So, I'm getting sick of the med student scene...we sit in class all morning with each other, do lab all afternoon, then it's either study in the library or feel guilty about going to happy hour with the same old 20 classmates who actually still bother to go out.

I thought I wouldn't mind hanging out with med students, but I'm starting to view them more as colleagues with hyper-neurotic tendencies and I don't care to spend too much time freaking out with them.

I'm thinking about joining some undergrad clubs, like writing for the campus magazine here...or maybe helping out at the college radio station. Anyone have success mingling with the undegrads? I'm only 23, and look pretty young, so I sure hope I still fit in! It's only been a couple years since I graduated. Maybe I just won't tell them I'm a med student?

Members don't see this ad.

Well Ive been attending all the home football games at my Alma Mater, does that count?

good for you. :)

unfortunately, I'm not really into sports aside from skiing and tennis, which is kinda the problem. Med school students seem to relieve stress through football and other intense sports. I'm more interested in the music scene here, and unfortunately none of my classmates seem to be...

Members don't see this ad :)
you can probably solve a lot of your problems by getting away from school as soon as classes are over and studying somewhere else when you need to study....

I hear all of you!!! I cannot stand being around med. students any longer than I must be. They are so high-strung. Even the few really nice ones are just too much to handle for more than a few hours a day! I'm to the point where, when I'm finished with classes, I don't want to see another med. student in the store, at school, at a coffee shop, or even on TV. The Type A personality really gets old.

But I think we grow out of it because I have no problem being around the more mellow 4 years, or residents or even practicing physicians. I think it's just the first and second year students who are that bad.

I even have trouble with a few who post on SDN - all of that high-strung stuff is so evident in some of their posts.

Let's everyone remember that this is not everything in life. It's a career but there are more important things. Right?

I got involved with undergrad intramural sports as a referee and the people I've met there go a long way toward keeping me sane. You might also consider a religious group, if you're so inclined--I found the same thing there by getting away from the med school crowd a bit.

the students at my school don't seem to be that high strung

At our school we have xanax Mondays where we all go fill our prescriptions as a group. It's a joyous occasion of festive activities and unbridled spankings. Then we don't talk for three days while we forget the names of our exfriends and newfound lovers.

:thumbup:

Yes, some med students do tend to take school and themselves way too seriously for their own good. Even in undergrad, I tried not to study or hang out with pre-meds too much lest I be sucked into their ultra-competitive and type A lifestyle. As a result, 90% of my college friends are not pre-med...and honestly, if it weren't for them, I don't think I'd be able to get through med school right now. It's so true about how friends outside of medicine can keep you sane - they're absolutely invaluable. Try your hardest to keep in touch with them because they will get you through rough times and celebrate your accomplishments with you while you're on this long, hard road towards fulfilling your dream. It's easy to get disillusioned. Who else will give you some perspective about the grand scheme of things when you start to stress out and act like there is nothing else that matters except you and medical school? Not to say that there aren't any normal, easy-going med students in my class - that's actually the majority of our class, luckily. But sometimes it's better to have someone who is completely removed and isn't blinded by this system.

Look at it this way, you're going to be spending the rest of your life in this profession. You'll go from being classmates to colleagues, and you have little to no choice about who you're going to be around (hopefully they'll simmer down by then but who knows?) So, it's important to keep yourself multi-dimensional and have non-medical friends or else you'll be stuck in a one-sided world where medicine not a part of your life, but it IS your life. You have to have more than one way to define yourself. Like Izabelle said, there are more important things in life. :)

wow i love my classmates, and my school was supposed to be full of strung-out people...

At our school we have xanax Mondays where we all go fill our prescriptions as a group. It's a joyous occasion of festive activities and unbridled spankings. Then we don't talk for three days while we forget the names of our exfriends and newfound lovers.

Johnny, that sounds like fun! Which med school do you attend?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :love:
That is too hilarious. Can I transfer to your school, because medstudents drive me nuts as well.

D@mn, perhaps I should go to class on Monday. ;)

:laugh: :thumbup:

I hear all of you!!! I cannot stand being around med. students any longer than I must be. They are so high-strung.

I even have trouble with a few who post on SDN - all of that high-strung stuff is so evident in some of their posts.

Let's everyone remember that this is not everything in life. It's a career but there are more important things. Right?

Wrong. What could possibly be more important than saving lives?

Now, why are you posting here instead of studying? Haven't you realized yet that we need to know EVERYTHING and we need to know it ALL of the time?