so so bored

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tussy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so bored! I'm on call all weekend (friday, saturday, sunday). I've been locked in this hospital since friday morning, and i won't get out until monday evening! It's been an incredibly quiet call and I think the boredom of it will soon drive me insane. I'm studied as much as i can, my patients are as stable as they'll ever be, i've surfed the net as much as I can stand it, and i've eaten far too much cafeteria food. Entertain me please!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I like your name: "tussy." It's cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Post up a time when you can chat tonight and people can meet you in the chatroom. I will be a second year next year and I am always looking for third and fourth years and residents to chat with.

BORED? Really? I LIVE for being bored on call.

Out of interest's sake, what kind of hours are you putting in

a) generally over a week's time (since we're both gen surg interns) and

b) when doing a whole weekend on call? I can't imagine you being there Friday, Sat and Sunday - is it likely you will be up all weekend (ie, more often than not, when I'm on call, I'm awake all night and don't go home until 38 or so hours later.). How can you do that 3 days in a row with no sleep?

:eek:

BTW, whenever I hear the name tussy, I think of a brand of underarm deoderant which was popular in the 70s! ;)

Hey Kimberli,

I shouldn't complain; when i'm on surgery call next month i'll be wishing for a quiet night. I'm on a medicine rotation right now, so the call isn't too busy (it's a consult service so i just have to see follow-ups and new consults). The call is technically home call, but i live a bit too far from the hospital to stay at home (you're supposed to be able to get there in 15 minutes). I'd go outside and walk around, but it's raining.

Not too much excitement so far today. I've rounded on everyone, seen 2 new consults, saw a guy who went septic - transferred him to the unit; and saw a guy who got his vanco a little too quick and turned a pleasant shade of red "red man syndrome" - he's fine but the nurses sure freaked out about it! For now everyone is stable, so hopefully i won't get called unless there's a new consult.

Next month will be gen surg call. I do 1 in 4 (new contract this year - they aren't allowed to make us do any more than that). It's busy call though - usually up all night. It covers about 60 inpatients including a 10 bed surgical stepdown unit, as well as quite a busy emergency room (we are also on call for trauma), and we have to see any in-hospital consults. As a junior I'll have 1 or 2 med students to help, and there is a senior on call from home if i ever need help or have questions. There's also the staffman of course.

How's your call???

Originally posted by DOby:
•I like your name: "tussy." It's cool.•

tussy - short for pertussis. I had pertussis in my first year of med school. The "90 day cough". I drove my classmates crazy with my coughing.

Hey fellow on-callers,

I am on right now on G-surg rotation as well. The VA isn't as crazy as the University hospital, but I am trying to keep my head above water, as well.

I know of other programs that have residents do full weekends of call so that they can have more weekends off for those not on call. Not that bad of an idea, IMHO.

Oh yeah, I am really an oto resident, but I have got that whole "slave year" of G surg before oto starts.

Hmm, ya know, in my line of work, saying the "Q" word, or that you are a piece of wood will get you in a whole heap of trouble around here. :D :cool: