So stressed out. I think I blew my Medicine Career.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xbocker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I was cited for a minor traffic violation (driving 5mph over the speed limit) Which was fine but then when I gave the officer my driver's license, it showed that I had lens correction restriction (Not allowed to drive without glasses). Unfortunately I didnt have my glasses at that time since I really dont need them. Apparently in Arizona this is a class 2 Misdeamnor punishable up to 4 months in jail with penalty. Now I have this stupid criminal charge on my record and residency programs can easily filter out my application . This is my first offense and this is just stressing me out and I dont know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

So yesterday I was cited for a minor traffic violation (driving 5mph over the speed limit) Which was fine but then when I gave the officer my driver's license, it showed that I had lens correction restriction (Not allowed to drive without glasses). Unfortunately I didnt have my glasses at that time since I really dont need them. Apparently in Arizona this is a class 2 Misdeamnor punishable up to 4 months in jail with penalty. Now I have this stupid criminal charge on my record and residency programs can easily filter out my application . This is my first offense and this is just stressing me out and I dont know what to do.

Get the best criminal lawyer/traffic lawyer you possibly can as soon as you possibly can. Explain to them that your big concern, over everything else. is keeping your medical career, and how this incident could jeopardise that. Consider their advice carefully, and follow it if it seems good to you.

And sorry, but if your licence says you need glasses when driving, then you need glasses when driving (and probably also when in surgery or doing procedures). A horse I was riding had to be euthanized because we were run into by a motorist who thought "I don't need to wear my glasses".

Your medical career will not be damaged by this trust me.

Reactions: 1 user
Get the best criminal lawyer/traffic lawyer you possibly can as soon as you possibly can. Explain to them that your big concern, over everything else. is keeping your medical career, and how this incident could jeopardise that. Consider their advice carefully, and follow it if it seems good to you.

And sorry, but if your licence says you need glasses when driving, then you need glasses when driving (and probably also when in surgery or doing procedures). A horse I was riding had to be euthanized because we were run into by a motorist who thought "I don't need to wear my glasses".

The thing is even if the case gets dismissed it still appears on the record

Your medical career will not be damaged by this trust me.

Considering there are so many applicants and very little spots, I worry that they can automatically dismiss my application once they see that Ive had a misdeamanor regardless of how severe it was.

Stop posting on forum, get a lawyer who actually knows a little about this and deal with it.

Also, although it should be obvious, if you are required by law to wear glasses to drive, then wear your glasses when you drive.

I don't think this misdemeanor will hinder your application at most programs. If you're really worried about this, you can get a lawyer and see if you have any recourse to make some sort of deal to make this go away; I don't think anyone on these forums would be able to give you any meaningful advice on that front. If there isn't a way to make the charges go away, then just be honest and upfront about it on ERAS and don't worry about it--either a program will care or they won't, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it at this point.

And yeah, please wear glasses while you're driving, or get your license changed. The law is the law and it's silly to put yourself at risk.

Should've just said you had contacts in. I was wearing contacts once when I was pulled over the and the cop gazed into my eyes for about 5 seconds before he started getting uncomfortable trying to see whether I was wearing contacts or not, and just told me to go on my way.

Reactions: 1 user

Get a decent lawyer and plea bargain this down to make it go away. There are doctors practicing with DUIs and much worse than this. Even if you did have this on your record, you would just disclose it up front with a letter from your lawyer explaining it. A good lawyer should be able to deal with this, easily. This is basically a traffic ticket. It should not end your career. Plow ahead.

I'm not a lawyer, but ERAS only requires that you report convictions, right? If you just got a summons and haven't actually gone to court yet, then you haven't been convicted yet, right?

Not a lawyer, but everyone knows (it is common knowledge) that there is a BIG difference between a "charge" and a "conviction". A charge is simply an assumption about a person. ANYONE can be charged...but it does not mean much if there is no conviction. In the U.S., ANYONE charged is presumed innocent until proven guilty (aka convicted) in a court of law. To be convicted of that charge is a whole different thing. Please go speak with a lawyer soon.

But be careful post match, and when you fill out paperwork for your medical license. A lot of states ask if you have ever been arrested. and then they ask about why and the outcome. Even if you beat this charge, your record very well may show arrests 1 convictions 0.

This is not a career ender, unless you start lying on your licensing forms.

I don't understand how they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you didn't have contacts in. Unless the cop did an eye exam or you said you didn't.

Therefore the verdict would automatically be not guilty. That's how court works.

But be careful post match, and when you fill out paperwork for your medical license. A lot of states ask if you have ever been arrested. and then they ask about why and the outcome. Even if you beat this charge, your record very well may show arrests 1 convictions 0.

This is not a career ender, unless you start lying on your licensing forms.

I'm confused. Did OP get arrested?

At the risk of reviving an outdated thread, this is what I would have done:

OK, I give the OP the benefit of the doubt when he/she says "I really don't need" glasses for driving. I say, prove it, and you can get this problem easily cleared up. Policemen, Judges, etc., are typically reasonable people, and they are not out to screw you.

Check the specific regulations in your state, they should spell out clearly the vision acuity requirements to get a drivers license in your state. If you "really don't need" your glasses to drive, then you should (PROVE IT) be able to pass a vision test (for getting a license) without wearing your glasses. If you took the vision test with your glasses on (BY MISTAKE), but you really don't need your glasses to pass the vision test in your state, then THAT was your mistake, and THAT mistake is documented on your driver's license. You should get that fixed ON YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE ASAP, for now, please go see an Optometrist (get proof that you really don't need to wear glasses for driving, per your state's regulations, that a mistake was made). Or, go get a replacement license, explain there is a mistake, and retake the vision test WITHOUT YOUR GLASSES ON, and if you pass, get the requirement for glasses removed from your license.

Yes, it is possible for a license to incorrectly say you need glasses to drive when you don't. Something like that happened to me, but I noticed the mistake right away, and immediately retook the vision exam without my glasses on and passed!

If you are concerned about legal issues, do see a lawyer. If there is a mistake in your driver's license, fix it and show it to the judge. If you are fooling yourself and you really do need glasses, WEAR THEM WHEN YOU DRIVE, but have a lawyer advise you and help you with these charges (really, people are reasonable and don't want to screw you).

Good luck!

About the only good thing about going to the DMV in NYC was that it was so crowded and the employees were so miserable and lazy that, when it came time for the vision test, they'd have people lined up right next to each other and they'd ask for the same lines to be read on the chart for every single person. So you could easily cheat on the test if you could remember 5 letters from the person before you (or just keep your glasses on and memorize the whole chart ahead of time).

I'm not saying I would ever do such a thing...but I'm blind as s*** beyond about 10 feet and I never had a glasses endorsement on my license.