So stressed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianJello

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My name is George Lee, I'm from Vancouver, Canada. I have no clue whether this topic is in the right section but here goes...I'm only in grade 10 right now but like my fellow peers, I've set my future career goal in medicine. I'm not really sure what factors are important for a successful application into a med school. My grades are really unpredictable, they tend to have this crazy pattern of going up and down. For example, I would get 3 A's and rest all high B's and next term I would get straight A's. But overall, my grades are fairly decent. Do highschool grades have any importance to med schools? I'd guess not. But post-secondary grades are, correct? I'm canadian so our college exams don't really work the same way in the states but the concept is fairly similar. We have exams called Provincials which colleges look at alongside overall grades and etc. What are some factors and variables med schools generally look for in their applicants? AP or IB classes? University grades? The university itself? I think what I do now will effect my future since in grade 10, we have to start taking Provincial exams in English, Science and Math. That along with my future exams and grades will determine whether I go to university or not and ultimately med school. I'm worried because my current grades standing aren't as competetive as I would like. I'm hopeful I'll get scholarships in my seniors years if not for my academics, at least for my athletic contributions. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

CanadianJello said:
My name is George Lee, I'm from Vancouver, Canada. I have no clue whether this topic is in the right section but here goes...I'm only in grade 10 right now but like my fellow peers, I've set my future career goal in medicine. I'm not really sure what factors are important for a successful application into a med school. My grades are really unpredictable, they tend to have this crazy pattern of going up and down. For example, I would get 3 A's and rest all high B's and next term I would get straight A's. But overall, my grades are fairly decent. Do highschool grades have any importance to med schools? I'd guess not. But post-secondary grades are, correct? I'm canadian so our college exams don't really work the same way in the states but the concept is fairly similar. We have exams called Provincials which colleges look at alongside overall grades and etc. What are some factors and variables med schools generally look for in their applicants? AP or IB classes? University grades? The university itself? I think what I do now will effect my future since in grade 10, we have to start taking Provincial exams in English, Science and Math. That along with my future exams and grades will determine whether I go to university or not and ultimately med school. I'm worried because my current grades standing aren't as competetive as I would like. Any advice?

relax and enjoy your youth...you'll miss it real soon

calvinandhobbes said:
relax and enjoy your youth...you'll miss it real soon
Cal, why are you still up? naughty naughty. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
BAHA why on earth are you thinking about med school in 10th grade?!

Jello, don't worry about it buddy. Life gets worse. Just enjoy the ride and you'll turn out alright. You sound a lot more mature than me when I was your age. You be fine. Enjoy your youth. Good luck. :thumbup:

Oh good gracious!!! You're more neurotic than me!! That should earn you some award.... Okay, so if you must be calmed, here's the deal

I failed chemistry twice in high school, well, the second time I got a D
I left with a 2.5
I was a smart kid, i did speech and debate, i didn't care about my classes, i liked to read, and i had an on the side interest in botany. but still, i failed chemistry, got c's in stuff, a d in math, it wasn't pretty.

Okay, so I have a 3.92 science gpa at the end of college. Do med schools care? no. They care about your MCAT more than is necessary. Worry about that when the time comes, BUT DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT NOW!!!!!

ENjoy being in 10th grade! Jeez, if i could start college again i'd be a lot calmer, if i could go back to 10th grade, i'd have startred meditating. actually, for you its not a bad idea

Its not that we here at SDN don't take your career aspirations seriously. We Do. Many of us have wanted to be doctors since we first played doctor... i mean... since we were kids. But now isn't the time to worry. at most,see if there is one of those medical week long experiences for hs kids. we have 'em in AZ at st. joes i think. they give you the whole, what its like to be a doctor lecture.

Somethign else to think about, your mind may change, so just enjoy school.
I thought I was going to be a Speech Com. Major in college, that was the goal. Then what happens? I major in Chemistry, yeah, the same chem i failed in hs, and now i'm gonna go to med school (IF ANYONE LETS ME IN! AECOM!!! THAT MEANS YOU!!! PLEASE?) :)

You're not allowed to have an anxiety attack until you've at least been to prom.

Pewl said:
BAHA why on earth are you thinking about med school in 10th grade?!

FictionalGirl said:
Oh good gracious!!! You're more neurotic than me!! That should earn you some award.... Okay, so if you must be calmed, here's the deal

I failed chemistry twice in high school, well, the second time I got a D
I left with a 2.5
I was a smart kid, i did speech and debate, i didn't care about my classes, i liked to read, and i had an on the side interest in botany. but still, i failed chemistry, got c's in stuff, a d in math, it wasn't pretty.

Okay, so I have a 3.92 science gpa at the end of college. Do med schools care? no. They care about your MCAT more than is necessary. Worry about that when the time comes, BUT DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT NOW!!!!!

ENjoy being in 10th grade! Jeez, if i could start college again i'd be a lot calmer, if i could go back to 10th grade, i'd have startred meditating. actually, for you its not a bad idea

Its not that we here at SDN don't take your career aspirations seriously. We Do. Many of us have wanted to be doctors since we first played doctor... i mean... since we were kids. But now isn't the time to worry. at most,see if there is one of those medical week long experiences for hs kids. we have 'em in AZ at st. joes i think. they give you the whole, what its like to be a doctor lecture.

Somethign else to think about, your mind may change, so just enjoy school.
I thought I was going to be a Speech Com. Major in college, that was the goal. Then what happens? I major in Chemistry, yeah, the same chem i failed in hs, and now i'm gonna go to med school (IF ANYONE LETS ME IN! AECOM!!! THAT MEANS YOU!!! PLEASE?) :)

You're not allowed to have an anxiety attack until you've at least been to prom.
Yes, can you tell that to my parents? :) I'm really not as neurotic as I seem, though more then the usual person. I'm worrying now because at grade 10, we have government exams that could make or brake my future...SERIOUSLY. Our education sytem here is fatally flawed, it puts too much pressure on young grade 10's like myself. But I guess that's life...

I guess I'm less worried now seeing how your highschool grades basically sucked, hehe. But the whole thing has a dominos effect from what my perspective. If I don't get good grades in highschool, I won't get into a good university and goodbye to my hopes and dreams....

Oh and the lack of AP and IB classes in my school worries me. =] There is only a Math 10 Honors and I'm not in it. :(

CanadianJello said:
Yes, can you tell that to my parents? :) I'm really not as neurotic as I seem, though more then the usual person. I'm worrying now because at grade 10, we have government exams that could make or brake my future...SERIOUSLY. Our education sytem here is fatally flawed, it puts too much pressure on young grade 10's like myself. But I guess that's life...

I guess I'm less worried now seeing how your highschool grades basically sucked, hehe. But the whole thing has a dominos effect from what my perspective. If I don't get good grades in highschool, I won't get into a good university and goodbye to my hopes and dreams....

Oh and the lack of AP and IB classes in my school worries me. =] There is only a Math 10 Honors and I'm not in it. :(

Dude, you need to get the hell off of studentdoctor.net right now and go play some counterstrike or starcraft or something.

Pewl said:
Dude, you need to get the hell off of studentdoctor.net right now and go play some counterstrike or starcraft or something.
Don't forget the Halo. :thumbup:

Chill out. If you're stressed in the tenth grade about getting into medical school, then you're going to die of a heart attack before you even hit the mcats. You can pretty much blow off high school (I certainly did) as long as you get into a halfway decent college. Once you are in college do well, nail the mcats, and get good clinical experience. In the meantime try to talk yourself out of this nasty road because if it is not for you you are going to be even more miserable than you already are.