So technically, it's 2yrs in Med School and 2 in Hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secants

about:blank
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So after one is done with 2yrs of basic science, they will be "away" from their med school for 2 yrs? (3 and 4th year clinicals). Just curious if everyone then comes back to share their experiences or are you done with the actual school aside from graduation. Hope my post makes sense

Members don't see this ad.

depends on the school. the schools i look into definitely have "options" for their core third year rotations though. and doing an away rotation/sub-i is pretty common for fourth year.

Hello All,

So after one is done with 2yrs of basic science, they will be "away" from their med school for 2 yrs? (3 and 4th year clinicals). Just curious if everyone then comes back to share their experiences or are you done with the actual school aside from graduation. Hope my post makes sense

No.

Many (most?) schools have their hosptial attached or near their medical school. Some things like family medicine (since it doesnt lend itself to a hospital setting), are done away from main hosptial.

At my school our hospital is less than a block away form where I take classes. Most of my rotations are going to be there with the exception of FM and the preceptor portion of peds.

Members don't see this ad :)
And clinical rotations are still "med school." You have just as much studying to do, in 1/10th the time, to prepare for shelf exams and to not look like a total idiot (just a partial idiot) to the attendings you are trying to impress for your completely subjective rotation grades.

Hello All,

No, you're definitely not done with your med school!

You have to go back to "home base" in order to take your end-of-rotation exams.

Our school also periodically has mandatory sessions that everyone must attend. These are sessions that discuss things like professionalism, accountability, medical mistakes and malpractice, etc. These are all held at school.

You will also have to keep meeting with your dean and the registrar to address any issues/concerns, career planning, 4th year scheduling, etc.

And you definitely will come back and share your experience with classes behind you. The 4th years had numerous workshops with us that discussed the nuts and bolts of residency apps. This year, some of the third years discussed Step 1 tips with 2nd years. So you do often come back and help out the 2nd and 1st years.

Premed issue and moving to premed forum. Medical students read and reply to posts in preallo and may follow and respond to this one.

Hello All,

As others have indicated, the hospital at which you do most of your rotations will typically be local or adjacent to your med school, and you will continue to have periodic lectures and tests (shelfs) at your med school. You will not see as many of your classmates as frequently, but will see those doing the same rotation as you. And since everyone is doing things in different orders, you will get to know different subsets of the class better. But generally everyone will still be in the same one or two hospitals, so you will see folks in the halls, the cafeteria, or as different specialty teams cross-round on the same patients.